Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2002 8:07:52 PM EDT
I know the no assault weapons, no hi cap mags ban, but what hoops do you have to jump through on used guns?  

Specifically, how would I (if I can) trade you a used SIG P228 with 10 rd. mags if I wanted to?
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 8:37:56 PM EDT
[#1]
you can sell any hand gun as long as you go through an ffl.However you cannot buy new handguns that have not met the ca. safety standards but it is legal to buy a used one.You cannot give,or sell the hi caps with the gun it must be a 10 round or less.That is just the basics.pretty much it is ok to sell your gun provided it goes through an ffl.
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 8:48:11 PM EDT
[#2]
It would have to be sent to a FFL here in CA. From what my local told me they are required to have the firearm to confirm the serial number before they do any paper work because here in CA all handguns get registered with the CA DOJ at time of purchase. Once they have the gun they can fill out the paper work for the back ground check (goes through the CA DOJ), the buyer waits 10 days and then they can pick it up. In my experience the BG checks have been pretty much instantaneous. So the FFL can tell the buyer right away if it went through.

Now, there is a "not unsafe" hand gun law here which pertains to NEW guns sold in this state. I know that private sales of existing hand guns are exempt from this law. I see lots of hand guns for sale on consignment. But I do not know for sure if that is only for hand guns already in the state, or if a used gun from out of state would also be exempt.

I would suggest the Moderator move this to the legal forum as Troy is our resident CA law expert and he might know the details better.
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 9:28:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 3:38:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top