Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2001 7:29:19 AM EDT
What are the laws governing out-of-state firearm purchases?

Picture this:  I drive to a neighboring state, visit a gunshop, and want to buy a rifle.  I am legally able to buy it in my home state with no restrictions.

Same question, but make it a handgun.  Can I do it?

Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 7:47:44 AM EDT
[#1]
rifle- yes
handgun- no
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 7:54:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Directly from the BATF

A person may only buy a firearm within the person's own state, except that he or she may buy a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee's premises in any state, provided the sale complies with state laws applicable in the state of sale and the state where the purchaser resides. [18 U. S. C 922( a)( 3) and (5), 922( b)( 3), 27 CFR 178.29]

Link Posted: 12/31/2001 11:05:21 AM EDT
[#3]
You could buy the handgun but would have to have it shipped to a dealer in your state who could do a transfer.
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 5:46:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Is there any diff. in person to person sales or does this cover dealer only sales???
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 4:50:29 AM EDT
[#5]
In person sales are not legally allowed if both parties are not residents of the same state and are not FFL holders.  Rifle or shotgun purchases in another state can legally only be made at a dealer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top