Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2001 12:04:52 AM EDT
Is there any such thing as an AR15 or variant with the ejection port of the left side?  I am speaking of this: www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=77741
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 12:36:31 AM EDT
[#1]
DPMS has a Southpaw upper.  No ejection port cover or brass deflector on the one I saw about a year ago.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 12:52:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Correct.  I've seen pix of the DPMS "Lefty" upper, and I want one just to dick with all my buddies (I'm the ONLY damn southpaw in our group...)

They have effectively inverted the bolt and carrier assembly, and reversed the machining on the upper housing.  No brass ejector would be needed, as it was added in the A1 or A2 uppoer to keep lefties from getting "case face" from the conventional AR-15.  I don't recall if they left provision for a port cover, but if they did, it would likely take the standard part somehow...

Try DPMS and see what info they have - I need to do the same...

FFZ
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 2:22:25 AM EDT
[#3]
The one I saw left no provision for an ejection port cover.  It is true that a lefty would not need the brass deflector, but I thought it worth mentioning because you may at some point allow a right handed person to fire the gun (I let people fire my guns often).
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 3:06:22 AM EDT
[#4]
So what you folks are saying, is the rifle, as depicted in that photograph, does not exist, due to some of the details.  Therefore, it most likely is the product of a negative that has been reversed?
(I tried to explain to a person that the negative was reversed, because the AR15 is pretty well ambidextrous.  He had no idea what I was talking about.)
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 10:11:24 AM EDT
[#5]
if you go back to that thread, the author states he switched the pic to make it flow better.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 11:25:18 AM EDT
[#6]
DoubleFeed.... qwitchyer bitchin about the photoshopped image. I even had some email exchange today with Oleg Volk himself. He offered to snap another shot from the other side so the rifle still shows right proper. Now son I am only gonna' say this one more time. Yes I reversed the image in photoshop because I liked the layout flow better with the girl on the right side. Sometimes you just got to go into the light my man. Go into the light.

Link Posted: 12/27/2001 4:06:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Why do you want one? No, really? have
I like having a weapon that can be manipulated from either side. I've never had a problem with brass hitting me, and I shoot with my nose on the charging handle like you're supposed to.

One thing you can't easily fix though is keeping the damn forward assist from poking you when slung, so I suppose that would be a bonus.

aa
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 6:37:45 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
DoubleFeed.... qwitchyer bitchin about the photoshopped image. I even had some email exchange today with Oleg Volk himself. He offered to snap another shot from the other side so the rifle still shows right proper. Now son I am only gonna' say this one more time. Yes I reversed the image in photoshop because I liked the layout flow better with the girl on the right side. Sometimes you just got to go into the light my man. Go into the light.

hehe, I thought so.  My coworker insisted to high heaven she was shooting that rifle left handed, and I attempted to explain to him how you did what you did, but he is adamant in his ignorance.
And it is not every day when a guy named "Bend Over" tells me to quit my bitchin.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top