Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2001 2:46:45 PM EDT
These look like a real good buy.  Are they any good?  How is accuracy and relibility?
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 2:53:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I built a J&T kit gun.  Great, no problems.
100% functionality.

Chambering appears to be for milspec 5.56mm as opposed to tight 223 sporting chamber which seems to occasionally cause problems on other kit guns...

However, the default setup uses a std non-chrome-lined barrel.  I'd recommend - unless you really need to save money - upgrading to a Colt or Bushmaster chrome-lined barrel as they're much easier to clean, last much longer, and corrosion isn't really a worry.

Also you might wanna upgrade your buffer. The std J&T buffer is a black plastic thingy filled with BBs/shot. Works fine, but the std style buffer is the way to go.  Only a few $$ difference.

I would go for J&T esp when compared to other kitgun places (like Sherluk, Model1 Sales, ASA, or Oly Arms).  Service is excellent, good quality, and Jesse & crew stand by their word.

-Bill Wiese
-San Mateo, CA

Link Posted: 12/19/2001 4:38:32 PM EDT
[#2]
J&T has good stuff.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 4:49:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I built a 20" A2 2 years ago on an Olympic PCR-98 stripped lower with a kit from J&T.  The kit was very high quality, no junk.  

I now have about 1500 rounds through the gun and it functions flawlessly.  At first I had problems.  But, after learning how to properly lube the bolt carrier, and a little break in, it works great.  

Good luck,
SOL
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 7:03:15 PM EDT
[#4]
how do you properly lube the bolt carrier? my JT bolt and b/c arrive tomarow
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 7:09:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, I bought a kit from J&T at the Reno Gun Show.  I got there 16" Car kit and absolutely love it!!  I have already put over 500rnds thru it and only had 4 FTFs, all related to the same mag.  Finish is a very nice dark black. I was getting 2" groups at 50yards using iron sights, but I am a very crappy shot with iron sights so I know this upper can shoot much better.  Also the sales people where very knowledgable. I would definitely buy from them again.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 9:19:06 PM EDT
[#6]
i built 16" car kit from J&T. i love it .i used a dalphon lower,the upper matched the lower and the fit was perfect. the only problem i had was the key bolts came loose on the carrier. fixed it and put 300rds SA 5.56 through it today, worked like charm. ready too build another.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 12:15:51 AM EDT
[#7]
I have personaly assembled seven rifles with J&T components and sold about fity kits to costomers with zero complaints. Buy with confidence.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 7:11:00 AM EDT
[#8]
2, they are perfect.  Substituted Colt barrels for a small extra charge.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 8:03:47 AM EDT
[#9]
My J&T lower had a tight chamber and they fixed it when I sent it back.

Tight chambers are quite common on kit uppers.

J&T quality is good, the upper has been reliable and accuracy is about 1.25 MOA with iron sights.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 8:05:19 AM EDT
[#10]
I put together a 16" CAR J&T kit as well:

http://wsphotofews.excite.com/041/XG/E5/H2/FO83453.jpg

http://wsphotofews.excite.com/006/IV/lV/ny/id31791.jpg

I had the barrel cut to an M4 profile. The kit came with an A2 stock, which I substituted with a CAR stock I got at a show. I now have a set of M4 HGs which I like *much* better than the J&T CAR handguards (too thin).

The gun runs like a champ - I shoot SA surplus, Q3131, and IMI M-855.

bwiese,

Funny you got a plastic buffer - my kit came with an aluminum buffer and it gave me zero problems.

Alex
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 1:31:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Mine had good looking parts. Barrel was not mil spec exterior finish, but actually a black matte that matched the upper nicely. It was the most reliable upper I have ever owned. No failures whatsoever. The quality of the parts was not equal to Bushmaster and the barrel was not chrome lined, but it is a good kit for the money. My advice, however, would be to save a few more bucks and get the Bushmaster.

Customer service from J&T was excellent.  I thought I had some problems with the pins (it was actually a problem with the lower) and they sent out new parts immediately.

I can not really speak as to accuracy, because I am a lousy shot.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 4:29:09 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
how do you properly lube the bolt carrier? my JT bolt and b/c arrive tomarow

My problem was that I left the bolt and carrier practically dry.  After about 40-50 rounds, I would start to short-cycle.  An instructor at my gun club told me that AR-15 bolt carriers like to be "wet".  Now, I lube the inside and outside of the carrier with CLP.  Now, no more short-cycles.  I'd keep excess oil away from the locking lugs and the breach end of the bolt.  Otherwise, I make sure I can see a layer of CLP.  

Regards,
SOL
Top Top