Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2001 3:15:18 PM EDT
Bought my wife a PT22 Taurus. Now she asks ME to go to the range.
Only one problem, it occasionally double taps.
This gun is a Berreta copy, with a tip up barrel.Ammo is Federal hollow points.
It functions well otherwise.Any ideas what causes it? I'm wondering if it might be her technique because the trigger pull is way long and pretty stiff.
Any ideas on another 22 pistol for her to carry.If this problem is the pistol, I will have to replace it. It's all she'll shoot.
Thanks,
BP
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 4:45:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Isnt it a DAO gun, sounds like there is crap in the firing pin area.
GG
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 5:19:16 PM EDT
[#2]
This may be worth a try, I don't know if it works with DAO.

Empty the gun of all ammo and examine the chamber to make sure there are no rounds left in gun.

Check chamber again to ensure it empty-do it.

Manually cycle the action and return slide to closed/battery.

Pull trigger, hammer should fall-keep trigger pulled to the rear.

Cycle action again- does hammer fall when gun goes into closed/battery? trigger should still be to the rear.

Release trigger- did hammer fall??
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 5:34:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Change Ammo, May be soft primers and you might need a round with a harder primer. If not then you need to send gun back to Taurus and tell them what is going on. The handgun might have a bad sear.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 5:36:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 6:46:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Of course, Double tapping is the only way it would be effective against a human assailant.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 6:52:10 PM EDT
[#6]
failure to stops....double tap to chest, followed by one to head.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 6:59:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
It isn't double-tapping (that's when you purposely fire two shots).  What you're describing is called "doubling."  It is also enough for BATF to consider that pistol to be an illegal machine gun.  You need to send that pistol back to Taurus immediately for repair!  Don't try to fix this on your own (even if you can).

-Troy

Ditto - Good advice Troy
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top