Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/5/2001 3:51:55 PM EDT
Trying to track down the best price for a Springfield M1A reciever(standard, not lugged). So far best price is $430.00 from Champions Choice. Anyone know where I can get a SPRINGFIELD reciever any cheaper? Thanks, Steve
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 4:16:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Any reason you want a cast receiver?
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 5:53:03 PM EDT
[#2]
MKS was at Perry this last August and was taking orders for forged receivers that they were to make. The samples they had to show looked very good (of course).
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 6:54:55 PM EDT
[#3]
MKS has been taking orders for 20 MONTHS!!!
cpermd
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 7:34:39 PM EDT
[#4]
The reciever is for a friend, I am just doing the legwork for him. He won't consider any reciever other than Springfield. He used to work in the USAF Gunsmith Shop and built NM
M-14's while there, so he is devoutly loyal to Springfield(name anyway). He has the money and it is burning a hole in his pocket. I don't blame him, he has all the parts but the reciever, so there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks, Steve
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 10:29:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Champion's Choice is usually the cheapest, Creedmoor also sells recvr's and you can check straight from SA Inc. If yor buddy built NM M14's for the AF 96-97 tell him his glass bed job's suck !!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 6:45:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Ya know, I think he was there then! He was one of many in that shop, but please tell me more, I'd love to give him shit about it!
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 10:49:47 PM EDT
[#7]
We finally got in 10 Match M14's 96-97 barrel dates from Lackland to replace some of our AFPG 308 M1's about 2 years ago. Of the 10 , 4 had to be rebedded beacause of no trigger guard tension or no downward tension at stock ferrule, almost like they didn't use a barrel fixture when they bedded them. Most also had sloppy rear sights " you just down put then on, they need to be fitted " when the suppressors where reamed on 2 of them you can see that the taper reamer caught and the flash hider spun in the lathe chuck !!!! I'm sure it's not all there fault, some of these were probably some newbie's first attempt at building a NM 14 . Anyway we were able to fix them but we should have received serviceable rifles to begin with.. I wasn't aware that it was regular CATM people involved with the building of match rifles at Lackland.  From my dealings with the local yokel CATM I wouldn't let them touch a squirt gun !!!
Link Posted: 12/6/2001 11:16:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Not to keep dogging the CATM people but, they are minimal marksman and basic parts swappers at best.  The AF has some good gunsmiths someplace or at least I have heard stories.
On my last trip to Camp Perry I let an Air Guard gunsmith do a couple of quick repairs he was top of the line.  All the USAF shooter I talked to had to find there own guns and smithing outside offical channels if they wanted the gun to actually work.
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 4:54:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Not all CATM folks are as good as me!hahahaha. No, we are a sub-specialty in AF Security Forces and there are a few CATM troops out there that are escapee's from Security Forces. The vast majority of us are squared away gunsmiths, but as anyone who is prior military will tell you, somehow, turds do slip through the cracks and give us all a bad name. My buddy was telling me that if it had a poor bedding job, don't blame him. He wasn't there until early 98. He said during the time period 96-97 there was one particular turd(a civilian employee) who has since been let go... Also there were funding problems during that time , the MAJCOM would not shit enough funds. It was to the point that the shop was making homemade bedding epoxy and bluing salts. He says there were a lot of m-14's sent out that were not true NM, but rather intended for EOD units for  ordinance disposal rather than Camp Perry. They were called SMUD's.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top