Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/30/2001 7:47:09 AM EDT
I think a light, accurate .22 rifle for back-packing and canoe trips might be my next winter project:

Volquartsen 16" Carbon fiber tension barrel
Volquartsen complete trigger group
Volquartsen recoil buffer
Butler creek fiber target stock or a Hogue over-mold stock.
Butler creek extended magazine release
Bushnell Holo II sight (1 minute dot)

If it were still legal, I'd put a folding stock on it so it'd fit in a pack. Thoughts, comments, suggestions?

Link Posted: 11/30/2001 8:06:57 AM EDT
[#1]
How about trying the Butler Creek breakdown kit?  The one that folds at the barrel?  That looks pretty neat.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 8:33:05 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

If it were still legal, I'd put a folding stock on it so it'd fit in a pack. Thoughts, comments, suggestions?

I picked up a pre-ban 10/22 with a folding stock awhile back.  It is quite compact.  You can probably find for between $250 and $300.  Alternatively, there is always the AR-7 style 22lrs.

-SS
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 9:05:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Unless you just want to bulid something, I'd go with the AR-7, you can find them for 100.00 and since you mentioned a canoe, they float.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 9:22:14 AM EDT
[#4]
The AR-7's I've used were jam-o-matics.  I haven't seen one of the new Butler Creek packer stocks yet, but I have my doubts about the accuracy of a rifle with a removeable barrel, especially if the optics are on the receiver.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 9:25:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I would go with a Feather Industries .22.  Breaks in half.  Buttstock collapses, very accurate and very light weight.  With the holosight genII would come in about 3 1/4 lbs, if that.
bybon
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 10:57:55 AM EDT
[#6]
M6 Scout in .22 Hornet. I shot a fellow shooter's .22LR and.22 H before choosing the hornet.

"Mikey likes it."
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 11:33:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 2:29:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 12:36:15 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm with Troy's choice. For the money, you can't beat a Marlin ANYTHING.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 6:50:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Get a good .22 handgun auto with at least 5 inch barrel and good adj. sights.practice,practice,practice,and leave rifle at home.ciener conversion on 1911 is a good choice slab side rugers are good shooters as well.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 7:59:09 AM EDT
[#11]
The trigger bar is no trouble, once you have shot a few dozen rounds through it to get used to it. I cleaned the part of the (trigger)bar that the hammer catches on at full cock, and then oiled it with some synthetic, slippery stuff.

The trigger bar is not the problem.  The only hindrance to hitting is muzzle lightness.  So I just developed a steady hold.

The 1 in 13" barrel shoots well with the typical, 45 gr. Hornet bullets.  But my favorite reload for this weapon is the cheap, bulk Winchester 55gr. FMJ-BT bullet. With Win. casings and 10.5 gr. of AA1680, you get about 2000fps.  This load is just as destructive on 2 liter pop bottles as the 45 gr. SP going 2,700fps.  From a steady sitting position, both reloads shot under 2" @ 100 yds.  So, for economy, I have standardized on the 55 gr. loading for all uses.

I was shooting this load at 300 yards.  I got (about) 3 feet of drop and had difficulty hitting a 15" discarded truck tire rim.  All this is to say, practical, under 100 yard hunting accuracy is quite good, and is only limited by how good a shot you are.  From a shaky standing position, it still shoots like a very accurate pistol, with about the same energy (about 700 ft/lbs).  The light-weight of 3 lbs. means that all day carry is very pleasant.

I just wrapped my stainless version with Desert Cammo nylon tape to complete its usefulness.
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 8:16:59 AM EDT
[#12]
I'll second that Feather AT-22. It's half as heavy as my ultra-light 10/22 rifle that has a carbon fiber barrel and the lightest stock available from Brownells wide selection.

The Feather's rear stock wire slides along the frame and the barrel unscrews. 20 round magazines are still available for those in the 47 free states of America.

Link Posted: 12/2/2001 9:19:52 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I'll second that Feather AT-22.

Website where I can look at it?
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 4:30:14 PM EDT
[#14]
It probably 'dates' the Hell outa me, but I have a Browning .22 semi-auto. Breaks down into two short pieces, high quality, light, reliable, accurate. Can't beat blued steel and walnut for purty.  :)
Link Posted: 12/2/2001 5:59:35 PM EDT
[#15]
i'v played with the feather At22. that thing is light!! it fits the body great. the pre ban ones (if theri is a preban one in .22) have tele stock, the new ones, the stock detaches and stores on the gun in a handy and unassuming manner. they accept hi cap mags, if you can find them.
Link Posted: 12/3/2001 10:11:05 AM EDT
[#16]
You might also look at the Taurus Model 62 pump action .22 carbine. A thumb screw lets you break it down to 2 pieces. Comes with iron sights, but B-Square sells a scope mount if you need it.  Stock as finished by the factory is terribly dark, but I lightened mine up by carefully removing stained finish with ScotchBrite.  Under the glop is pretty nice wood.

Oh, they make nickel versions, rifles, and .22 Mag (model 72) as well.

www.taurususa.com
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top