Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/29/2001 8:23:33 PM EDT
I bought a sling and oiler to fit the hole in my M1 Carbine's slot. The oiler fits the slot, the web sling fits the slot but how does one get the sling around the oiler when it's in the slot.

I tried pulling, pushing and poking it sideways into the slot. I tried dropping the oiler in place and threading the sling top and bottom and it doesn't work ... what's the trick?

Help!
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 8:38:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 8:50:21 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Basically, you have to place the oiler in the slot, the thread the sling around it.  When the oiler is at the bottom of the slot, there is room.  If it is only part-way in, there won't be enough room to get the sling through.

-Troy

What he said.  The really difficult part is getting the flat part of the snap past the oiler.  Getting it out again is also a bitch, but you just do it the opposite way.  Keep the oiler pushed in while running the strap past it.  Don't try what I did at first though, which was trying to pry it out.  Almost ruined that part of the stock.
Link Posted: 11/29/2001 9:03:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Time for a dremel!

A bit of quality time with a light hammer seems to have convinced the set-up to work.

Next is replacing the rear sight with a USGI one.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 12:02:29 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a IAI 30 carbine when I went to put in the oiler and sling I got pissed off after about a hour then out came the tools I shaved about a 1/4" and fits good and comes out good and will stay in the stock, hasn't fell out in all most 1 1/2year. if you do this your on your own. try a little at a time don't over do it.

tattoo
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 5:37:59 AM EDT
[#5]
I am guessing that you may have a 50s era sling, which is much thicker than the WW2 era sling.  I have a 50's sling as well.  It is supposed to be somewhat tight, but a little adjusting with the dremel will go a long way.
Link Posted: 11/30/2001 9:49:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top