Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/26/2001 11:21:33 AM EDT
It keeps the muzzle rise down right?, I mean that's it's purpose? I'm dumb on this subject,
but does it slow the bullet's velocity?
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 11:22:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Oh sorry I mean Muzzle Brake not SUPPRESSOR.

oops
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 11:32:48 AM EDT
[#2]
You are correct Sir. A muzzle brake will help prevent muzzle climb. It will also help to reduce felt recoil as well. And on the down side it will also make your rifle a wee bit louder.
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 11:37:36 AM EDT
[#3]
"It will also make your rifle a wee bit louder" is somewhat of an understatement.  Maybe a wee bit louder for the shooter, but extremely louder for anyone around the shooter.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 11:40:07 AM EDT
[#4]
yea ok, but does it slow the bullet's velocity?
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 12:34:03 PM EDT
[#5]
There's only two muzzle devices I've ever heard of that slow the speed of the bullet:

- Some sound suppressors.  The early designs use a wipe to control the gases and it would slow the bullet as well as harm accuracy.  Also, the integral suppressor on an MP5SD slows the bullet.

- A muzzle brake won't slow the bullet, but some of the similar technologies such as magna porting where holes are added to the barrel itself can have an impact on bullet velocity since they basically shorten the barrel by an inch or two.

Regular muzzle brakes like Bushmaster's AK brake and the Armalite brake do not affect bullet velocity.
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 8:50:56 PM EDT
[#6]
It's not the suppressor on the MP5SD that slows the bullet, it's the ports drilled into the barrel to tap off gas and bleed velocity from the round so you can get subsonic velocities from hot NATO ammo.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 10:02:11 AM EDT
[#7]
An additional question:

does a muzzlebrake, whether the AK74 style, the new Wilson birdcage or Cav Arms birdcage style (muzzle brake and not the flashhiders) affect the ACCURACY of the rifle?

That's the burning question in my mind.  My Vmatch shoots great, almost 1moa at 100 yards without a brake.  I want to add the birdcage style brake, but am afraid that the accuracty will be affected.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 11:56:11 AM EDT
[#8]
ESP,

That'd be a great big maybe.  There are simply too many variables involved.  It might make it shoot worse, it might make no difference at all or it could even make it shoot better.  
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 1:12:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I heard putting a blank adapter on the weapon would slow down the velocity a wee bit too!
P.S If you took me seriosly please don't.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 1:42:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Jander,

To the right of a post is an edit icon.  You might want to become familiar with it.

sgtar15
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 1:52:40 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
An additional question:

does a muzzlebrake, whether the AK74 style, the new Wilson birdcage or Cav Arms birdcage style (muzzle brake and not the flashhiders) affect the ACCURACY of the rifle?

That's the burning question in my mind.  My Vmatch shoots great, almost 1moa at 100 yards without a brake.  I want to add the birdcage style brake, but am afraid that the accuracty will be affected.

To answer your question, without a doubt YES.

A muzzle brake, flash hider, flash suppressor DOES affect your barrel's inherent accuracy.

I don't know of a birdcage style brake, however.

The only things I have seen that looked like a birdcage are flash supressors.

Flash hiders are ussually solid.

Brakes normally built to allow a limited amount of gase to be directed in specifc directions to reduce felt recoil.

TheRedGoat/Baphomet
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 2:08:14 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
It's not the suppressor on the MP5SD that slows the bullet, it's the ports drilled into the barrel to tap off gas and bleed velocity from the round so you can get subsonic velocities from hot NATO ammo.

The ports are the suppressor. They are baffles that absorb expanding gasses and allow them to expand at a slower rate so that it goes ppfft instead of boom. For silenced guns, subsonic ammo is used if maximum sound suppression is wanted.
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 2:30:39 PM EDT
[#13]

ESP:
...almost 1moa at 100 yards without a brake.  

Huh?

If you're getting 1 MOA, don't phuk with that muzzle!
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 4:48:43 PM EDT
[#14]
But I want it to look cool and besides, Wilson sez that theirs reduces flash by approx 70%
Link Posted: 11/27/2001 5:22:39 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
"It will also make your rifle a wee bit louder" is somewhat of an understatement.  Maybe a wee bit louder for the shooter, but extremely louder for anyone around the shooter.

God Bless Texas

That is the understatement of the year. You can't be anywhere near my rifle without proper ear protection. Man it is loud! Muzzle velosity can be lost, but because of barrel length or load of cartridge. If the powder doesn't have time to completely burn velosity is lost.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top