Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2001 6:22:29 AM EDT
I am re-bluing a mosin-nagant 91-30 and I am using Perma Blue from WalMart.  When I got done bluing six coats on it yesterday I sprayed rem oil on it to lube it up and the bluing turned a bronish color.  Do I need to put some kind of sealent on the gun to prevent this?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 8:04:42 AM EDT
[#1]
btt
Link Posted: 11/25/2001 8:24:07 AM EDT
[#2]
If you read the directions on the bottle(I'm sure you did) they state that you should rinse with cold water after leaving the Perma Blue on for @30 sec.  That is supposed to "cure/neutralize" it.  You do have to wipe/ spray oil on it afterward to prevent rust.  I found that you can only put so many "coats" of Perma Blue on before it starts removing your work.  I think about 4 or 5 seems to get the darkest bluing.  

You need to remember that this is Cold bluing, thus, it is not permanent.  I have not had it turn to a plum/bronze color before.  It could be the type of metal.  Does the bottle say "Plum"?  They do sell that type. Wiping/spraying oil on it will remove some of your work, and could be the cause of the plum coloring. Maybe try a different type of oil.  Cold bluing is really for small areas, not for rebluing entire guns, but I have done it before.  Just don't expect it to stay that dark blue for long.  Most of the time enough remains to give a well used, but cared for look.  One of my revolvers has some slight holster wear on several of its sharp edges and on the end of the barrel.  I can put cold blue on these areas each time I clean the gun, but each time I carry it in a holster it will wear away.  Good luck  
Top Top