Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2001 12:39:58 PM EDT
Just got back from a trip, and while walking through the Fort Lauderdale Airport, I noticed a National Guardsman with an M16A2/M203 with an Aimpoint on a gooseneck mount.  Mighty nice setup!  Not sure of its effectiveness inside an aiport packed with 10,000 people though.

Andy
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 12:47:53 PM EDT
[#1]
about as much effectiveness as National Guardsmen's presence.  I have nothing but respect for the men and women in uniform, but their being there and the supposedly tighter security are not enough to stop a determined attack.  I recently flew to SF and back, security is still a joke, National Guardsmen's being there notwithstanding.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 1:18:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Rumor has it that the guns aren't even loaded. Wouldn't that be a kick in the ass.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 1:24:02 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Rumor has it that the guns aren't even loaded. Wouldn't that be a kick in the ass.

True.  My dad recently went to Boston and he said that the National Guardsmen didn't have magazines in their weapons.  He also saw one of them drop their AR.[:\]
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 1:27:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 1:39:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Are they even issued ammo?  They may have mags in the pouch but their M16A1's were empty at both airports.  CNN reports this is costing 1 million a day, guess the government doesn't want to get sued if one of them has a negligent discharge.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 3:21:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Since they are civilian soilders, I guess they don't trust them either.

I attended a local community security forum here in VA. They had the NG general for the state at the meeting. Someone asked a question about this and he said that "he assures us that they are armed but he can't go into deployment issues". Which I guess translates into they have the guns but no ammo.

I wonder if one of the guys supplied his own how much trouble he would get into if he were caught?
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 3:26:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
about as much effectiveness as National Guardsmen's presence.  I have nothing but respect for the men and women in uniform, but their being there and the supposedly tighter security are not enough to stop a determined attack.  I recently flew to SF and back, security is still a joke, National Guardsmen's being there notwithstanding.

I don't know about the rest of the US, but in Colorado, it is ILLEGAL for the National Guard to force its members to PT on drill weekends outside of yearly PT tests.  I have nothing but contempt for the National Guard.  What a bunch of bags.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 3:36:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I heard the M16s weren't loaded, but they had loaded M9 Pistols on their persons.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 3:43:44 PM EDT
[#9]
The NG stores their sidearms in our armory at the police station, since our airport is not open 24 hours a day. I have worked with them  until the powers to be determined that LEO's did not have to be at the airports. I have seen the NG place loaded magazines into their sidearms.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 12:10:30 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Since they are civilian soilders, I guess they don't trust them either.

I attended a local community security forum here in VA. They had the NG general for the state at the meeting. Someone asked a question about this and he said that "he assures us that they are armed but he can't go into deployment issues". Which I guess translates into they have the guns but no ammo.

I wonder if one of the guys supplied his own how much trouble he would get into if he were caught?

Drawing and quatering would be a mild thing done to a soldier who provides his own and gets caught.

Spoke with my Bn Xo on this very exact issue, not a good thing to do at all.  He wouldn't hear of it, even if the armory was at a immeniant risk of being hit.

Kinda erks me, but what can you do.  The military is still a closed minded business.  So many of them cannot think outside of the box, guess that's why we don't have enough medics to support our mission.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 12:28:59 AM EDT
[#11]
I started to see the M16/M203 combo at work just two days after the eleventh.  It was too bad that the media coverage on that day had edit out the footages with the M203.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top