Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2001 2:47:55 AM EDT
I've been monitoring ebay for a couple of weeks trying to pick up a few items.  I've watched morons pay as much as or more than new prices for three different used items.  What gives?  Do people get caught up in the chase?  Also, some businesses offer items and set the reserve price at or higher than new.  I guess it works.

Eddie
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 2:54:28 AM EDT
[#1]
For Firearms parts, E-Bay is a Seller's market. For everything else it is a Buyer's market.

There are enough ignorant people on E-Bay to do this. For example, while Tapco still had $289 kits available, they were selling on E-Bay for upwards of $400. Divided up into parts and some were getting $600.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 4:58:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I sold a new M1 carbine barrel there once which I would have been happy to get $80.  It sold for $220.  At the time, they were available from CMP for $60.

No, my conscience doesn't bother me!
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 5:06:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I think most items on Ebay are a sellers' market.Only those that know what they are looking for may end up with a deal.I had put up my paintball gun for sale and the reserve was set at $200 less than I payed for it(it was about 5 months old).After the 3rd day the price had jumped up to $900!That's $450 more than my reserve and about $150 more than they could have bought for new.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 5:25:50 AM EDT
[#4]
I once sold a NIB damascus blade knife on ebay for $40 more than you could buy it new from the vendor. I had bought it on sale, intending to give it as a gift, then packed it away an forgot about it, so I posted it for sale with a reserve of what I had in it (~$20 less than the current list price).

The really stupid thing was that the auction included a link to the manufacturer's site for the knife, which had the current prices (and the ability to buy it online), and it still sold for $40 more than you could buy it for at that link.

Gotta love ebay

Link Posted: 11/18/2001 6:51:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Wasn't there a saying that went like
"A fool and his money is easily parted"  or something like that.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 7:27:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Just bought my Marine Corps NCO sword off of E-bay....reproduction, dude had 5 differtent auctions of the same sword.  I bid $85....this left 4 more without bids....some guy hops on and outbids me by a buck.  Now why when there are 4 more with no bids would someone try to get into a bidding war?  Makes no sense to me.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 7:45:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Total morons.....and yes when I first started so was I,I bid more on a item than cdnnn had it for new,needless to say I told the seller to stick it!(AFTER WINNING)..and he said ok.I'd surmise these sellers are trollers looking for the easy catches.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 7:48:23 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Just bought my Marine Corps NCO sword off of E-bay....reproduction, dude had 5 differtent auctions of the same sword.  I bid $85....this left 4 more without bids....some guy hops on and outbids me by a buck.  Now why when there are 4 more with no bids would someone try to get into a bidding war?  Makes no sense to me.

It might have been the guy selling the stuff.  Trying to jack up the price!  Happens alot out there.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 8:27:01 AM EDT
[#9]
OTOH, I bought a real nice, 16" HBAR upper with bolt carrier, etc, for $360.  From a company that uses their own name as an ebay ID and lists that particular combo for $495.

Bargains are there if you set up a search, use it frequently, and bid from your wallet instead of emotion.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 9:19:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Magazines are a perfect example. I have seen 30 Rounders on E-Bay from: $6.50 to $60.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 10:25:57 AM EDT
[#11]
There are good buys and poor ones, buyer/bidder beware. The informed bidder researches the item. Like everyone, I've seen things go for more than there retail value. I frequently bid there and infrequently win.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 10:45:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Remind me to ad "mags" to the list of folks I won't deal with unless I read his post wrong.
Please correct me if I did.
cpermd
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 10:50:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Ebay is one of the few places you can pay way over retail for  a digital camera!!!

Link Posted: 11/18/2001 11:24:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Have you ever been to a real auction? Everything goes for a higher price than new.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 6:42:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Sometimes you get lucky though, I purchased a complete, unfired 16" Oly upper with bolt and carrier for just over $300 several months ago. I thought it was a good deal...... But I have to admit that it is generally a sellers market.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 7:03:22 PM EDT
[#16]
What pisses me off about Ebay is the people that bid on items with like 3 days left.  Why bid on it, and drive the price up.  Add it to your watchlist, and then bid on it right before it closes.  When you bid with days left, you outbid someone, and then he goes and bids again, and the damn price just sky-rockets.  Bid at the last minute, or don't bid at all.  You aren't going to win it anyway if you bid with over a day left, unless you bid more than it's worth!  MORONS!!
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 9:12:22 AM EDT
[#17]
yeah ive seen morons selling cdr copys of bootlegged movies goiing for 20 bucks and whats even more moronic is the moron bidding on it!!

anyway most of ebay u can get some deals
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 11:10:07 AM EDT
[#18]
PERFECT EXAMPLE:

Just checked a Tac Trigger for the AR15 on Ebay.  The thing is going for $38 with over 3 days left on the auction!  You can buy them brand new for $31 and $3 shipping!  MORONS!!!!
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 1:55:16 PM EDT
[#19]
What you have to look out for are the mail houses that sell marginal items at incredibly low prices but charge $10 to $17 for shipping.  When you get the item, its crammed into a USPS $3.50 (for any weight) box.

I have found some things that i couldn't find anywhere else.

I found a wide angle camera lense for an old screw mount Pentax, that would have gone for about $70 anywhere else if I could find one, anf got it for $30.

BISHOP
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top