Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/12/2021 3:57:43 PM EDT
I'm cleaning up a Springfield Eddystone 1917 for a friend.
I looked up the SN and it looks like it was made in 1917. (103K range)
This is the second oldest gun i've seen.

(before you ask- the first is a H&R top-break .32. 1911).

Pictures to follow.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 5:15:35 PM EDT
[#1]
This is from the CMP forums, take it for what it's worth.  It was written about M1 barrels, but should be close for most 30-06's.

"You can make a "poor man's" Muzzle Wear gauge out of a single round of USGI M2 ball .30-06 ammo stuck point first into the muzzle. Just measure how much copper jacket shows when you do this":

5/16"=new,
1/4"=excellent,
1/8"=adequate for plinking,
0=consider a new barrel.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 9:49:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I have found that it doesn't always matter. I've seen some that will swallow a bullet,that still grouped nice and tight,and others that looked good but were all over the place.

It's a good general guide,but shooting and seeing how it does tells the tale.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 10:10:15 AM EDT
[#3]
That looks good to me.  I used to recrown the barrels on Garands with a hand tool from Brownells. They sell an 11 degree cutter. It really helped shrink the groups on guns with borderline wornout barrels
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top