Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2020 7:05:15 PM EDT
Looking at picking up a new retro military rifle. Debating between the CETME LC and Robinson Arms M96.... which would you go with and why? Any advantages/disadvantages when comparing the 2?
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 7:36:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Looking at picking up a new retro military rifle. Debating between the CETME LC and Robinson Arms M96.... which would you go with and why? Any advantages/disadvantages when comparing the 2?
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 11:54:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't have a cetme, but I do have a vector 93 and a m96. The m96 is a much better gun, and cooler, if you can find one.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 12:05:09 AM EDT
[#3]
MARCOLMAR will actually support the CETME LC.

Robinson will probably tell you fuck off after the owner has told you how stupid you are.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 12:36:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 12:54:08 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd suggest CETME; it was a working, issued service rifle and the M96 as currently available is basically a built-from-the-ground-up clone of the Stoner.   The parts situation is better than the M96, although that may change if Robarms sells out the new batch quick enough.

I own both and I'm leery about shooting the M96 because if something breaks, chances are good I'll have to make a replacement part myself.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 7:07:58 AM EDT
[#6]
LC all the way. Marcolmar has good customer support. I've got an LC and its very nice. Though I got mine as a collectors piece. I'll eventually get a normal L with a welded on rail, which with an optic on it will probably go to the range with me every trip.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 8:51:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you are going to pick it up for fun, then whichever scratches your itch.

As for practical use, the Cetme L and LC have a really weird bolt hold open button in front of the rear sight, and can't "HK Slap" the charging handle due to the odd decision to go with a square operating handle rod and tube which won't allow for a hold back notch on the tube.  I was also surprised how "dense" the Cetme L feels- it just feels a pound or two heavier than I was expecting.  that being said, MarColMar seems to have done a good job on them and I can't say I have heard any bad reviews on function or finish.

The Robinson M96 is OK from a "gee this is novel" retro factor, older ones have a variety of generations of parts in them, and Robinson is notorious for not supporting customers who need replacement parts.  The modular nature is cool, but only useful if you have any of the conversions, which are very, very rare and very, very, very expensive when they pop up for sale.  I did have an M96 some years ago, and after the "cool concept" idea wore off I ended up selling it.

If I had to pick, I would go with the Cetme LC just for the neato factor, but $2K+ is a lot to spend on a gun, and if I were to be honest that opens up a lot of other neat things at that price range.

Just my two cents, and hope that helps!

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote
Sven I was thinking the same thing. I have both CZ Bren 2s and 805 and for less money than the LC or the M96 I could get a Bren 2Ms 7.62x39.... and there are a ton more I could get... problem is I have most everything and I like unique guns... any other gun in any price range that is unique you would get before picking up a LC or M96?
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 12:15:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I have the LC and L. Both are outstanding in terms of fit and finish and have had no issues.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 12:38:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I have the MarColMar L and LC and am seriously considering getting one of the M96 re-release
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 7:13:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a Marcolmar Cetme L. Fit and finish is excellent but it does seem quite a bit heavier than an HK93 I used to have. That said it's a cool gun even with the oddball bolt hold open. I couldn't justify the LC at twice what I paid for the L on Black Friday.

No experience with the M96 but given the sketchy ones out there the Marcolmar Cetme L or LC is a more solid choice.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 9:58:34 PM EDT
[#11]
O.P. you know the answer is.... get both.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 12:37:06 AM EDT
[#12]
I use to have both, and now I only the CETME L.

CETME L is better in most categories, like:
-Accuracy
-Construction
-Material Usage
-Balance
-Parts availability

The only thing the M96 is better than the L is the trigger, which the L trigger is pretty terrible.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 1:06:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

-Accuracy
-Construction
-Material Usage
-Balance
-Parts availability

The only thing the M96 is better than the L is the trigger, which the L trigger is pretty terrible.
View Quote
Really?  My L's trigger isn't what I'd call terrible, it's much better than any milspec AR trigger I ever had.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 12:20:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Really?  My L's trigger isn't what I'd call terrible, it's much better than any milspec AR trigger I ever had.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Accuracy
-Construction
-Material Usage
-Balance
-Parts availability

Really.
The trigger on my L is extremely heavy and can get uncomfortable fast after 300rds or so.
My rifle was from the first batch, so maybe things are better now.
I'm use to the trigger now, but as mentioned, the M96's trigger is plenty better.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 1:01:19 PM EDT
[#15]
I’m going new production M96.  I had a first gen M96 that started as a rifle, and then got the recon carbine kit.  Did like it, even though it went back a couple of times for recalls, but ended up selling it, which I now regret.  Don’t remember having any problems with customer service.

Hopefully, they worked through all of the generational stuff and they say that the new production will all be the latest generation.  They also say they’ll have spare parts.

Not so much interested in the CETME.  Kind of a proto-HK93, but I already have a HK93 so it’s not bringing anything.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top