Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/6/2018 5:26:50 PM EDT
I just purchased an FA91 and after doing some research it doesn't appear to be very popular with some people. What are the known issues and what can be done to improve it? I took a chance on it at $300 not knowing much about them.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 5:40:09 PM EDT
[#1]
$300? I don't think that is bad at all.

When I was younger I had one. It worked for me. But I didn't know that much about anything, all I knew was it went bang.

Does yours have the built on rail so you don't have to get HK scope clamp things?
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 6:15:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
$300? I don't think that is bad at all.

When I was younger I had one. It worked for me. But I didn't know that much about anything, all I knew was it went bang.

Does yours have the built on rail so you don't have to get HK scope clamp things?
View Quote
Yes. It has the rail.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 6:16:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I read about the welds coming apart on them.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 8:11:37 PM EDT
[#4]
If it's got the big aluminum receiver, those were made by Hesse (who had an extremely poor reputation). They aren't well-regarded by anyone knowledgeable.

The issue is the poorly designed aluminum receiver, and generally poor assembly. They attached aluminum to steel, in a design which originally never called for doing so. It comes apart (predictably).

They've also been known to explode if/when they develop headspace or bolt roller problems.

To really fix it, you'd have to completely rebuild the rifle with a new sheet metal receiver (which requires TIG welding).

I recommend you sell it "as-is". You'll probably get more than $300.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 10:02:35 PM EDT
[#5]
It's a shootable parts kit that needs a new receiver to be a good firearm.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 5:03:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies. What receiver would you recommend?
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 5:10:58 PM EDT
[#7]
PTR-91 receiver
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 6:26:47 PM EDT
[#8]
So it does have the big aluminum receiver?

How did Hesse attach the aluminum receiver to the steel trunnion?
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 7:36:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So it does have the big aluminum receiver?

How did Hesse attach the aluminum receiver to the steel trunnion?
View Quote
I had one that was simply crosspinned. Shot fine, but I didn't keep it long.

Springfield used these for a run of SAR8's also.

I wouldn't doubt they were Hesse, but thought FAC made them themselves. Hesse never sold them that I saw and they were marked with FAC's info as maker.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 9:42:57 AM EDT
[#10]
There was a small machine shop in Crookston, MN that made the receivers for FAC.

advntrjnky
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 8:23:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Mine has always worked ok. It's no thing of beauty and not AR accurate, but it has been reliable.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 2:40:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I just purchased an FA91 and after doing some research it doesn't appear to be very popular with some people. What are the known issues and what can be done to improve it? I took a chance on it at $300 not knowing much about them.  
View Quote
I had one for a bit. $300 is a good price. They go for around $500 here. I never had any issues with it. From what I have heard, the cast aluminum receiver with the integrated rail had no problems. That's what I had. Rumor has it that they bought Hesse machinery to make stamped steel ones (without the integrated rail I believe) at a lower cost to them (probably when they were struggling with business) and those receivers had issues. Only rumor though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top