Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2015 7:22:18 PM EDT
Hello gentleman, I am looking for a new rifle to replace my old rifle my father gave me a couple of years ago.
My old rifle was a Savage axis 223 with a Bushnell 3x-9x scope. I'm looking a a Rifle that is better in terms of accurate and range.
My price range is $500-$675.00, I would like it to be 223. caibered as well.
I plan on making this my marksman rifle as well.

Any suggestions on what to pick up/look for?

Thanks,
Austin C.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 7:59:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Savage Model 12. Better stock options, better trigger, and heavy barrel. Its hard to beat Savage accuracy for the $$ you want to spend.

Get a better scope and reload if you want accuracy and long range from .223.

What distance are you talking and what kind of accuracy do you want?
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 8:04:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Savage Model 12. Better stock options, better trigger, and heavy barrel. Its hard to beat Savage accuracy for the $$ you want to spend.

Get a better scope and reload if you want accuracy and long range from .223.

What distance are you talking and what kind of accuracy do you want?
View Quote

around 300-500 yards if possible, as well as 1 - 3 inches.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 9:09:20 PM EDT
[#3]
300 yards for sure and even 500 but the wind will really be a factor at 500. You should be able to achieve .75-1 moa with good factory ammo.

Link Posted: 6/23/2015 10:07:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I like the Mossberg MVP, which is a little more practical.  Probably close to being a wash on accuracy, though.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 11:09:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I like the Mossberg MVP, which is a little more practical.  Probably close to being a wash on accuracy, though.
View Quote

Are you taking about the partol Rifle? Its the only one in my price range. How is the rifle range and accuracy as well?
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 11:42:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I was shooting PMC 55 grain and doing about 1.5 MOA with it.    I haven't tried to wring out the last bit of accuracy with handloads, finding out what weight of bullet it likes.    

Range won't vary much from that of an AR, somewhere about 400-500 yards is probably all the practical range you're going to get out of it IMO.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 11:49:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I was shooting PMC 55 grain and doing about 1.5 MOA with it.    I haven't tried to wring out the last bit of accuracy with handloads, finding out what weight of bullet it likes.    

Range won't vary much from that of an AR, somewhere about 400-500 yards is probably all the practical range you're going to get out of it IMO.
View Quote

ah gotcha I like the look and price of this rifle, I need to do more research on this rifle but this MAY be the rifle I'm looking for!
Also 1+ for taking AR mags! What are the best mags for this rifle? PMags,  Promags, Tapco?

Also any other suggestions?
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 12:12:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Tikka t3
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 12:32:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Howa rifles offer great bang for the buck.  Good quality for not a lot of coin.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 11:24:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I agree, the Howa 1500 is a good rifle.  I have a .223 Howa 1500 with 24" heavy barrel and Hogue stock.  I bought it used from original owner who had only fired 200 rounds through it.  It was a "package" rifle that came with the Nikko-Sterling shown in the pic.  I just bought it this spring and haven't had the time to shoot it much yet but it will shoot touching cloverleaf groups from a bench at 100 yards using Hornady 55gr V-Max ammunition.  I paid $500 with bipod, sling,100 rounds of ammunition (federal American Eagle 55gr FMJ) and a drag bag style case.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 1:15:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

ah gotcha I like the look and price of this rifle, I need to do more research on this rifle but this MAY be the rifle I'm looking for!
Also 1+ for taking AR mags! What are the best mags for this rifle? PMags,  Promags, Tapco?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've used USGI mags.  I think Magpuls may be too wide but don't quote me on that.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 1:12:43 PM EDT
[#12]
CZ 527, very well might be able to find one on the used market.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 3:18:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I've used USGI mags.  I think Magpuls may be too wide but don't quote me on that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Magpul mags dont stay locked in under recoil.  I use GI 20 round mags for the best results.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 8:32:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Magpul mags dont stay locked in under recoil.  I use GI 20 round mags for the best results.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the info guys, I went to my local Dicks and they had a 308 Patrol and got a feel for it. I liked the feel alot, now I just need to find a 223 model in my area.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:15:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

these and their Weatherby Vanguard cousins are good to go

I'm more than pleased with my .223 Vanguard
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 4:34:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Are you taking about the partol Rifle? Its the only one in my price range. How is the rifle range and accuracy as well?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My MVP is a better shooter than i out to 3-400 running 55gr Hornady BTFMJ's. Their 55gr JSP is a great  varmint round. It's chambered 5.56 1:9 twist

I have a Varmint, cut the bbl to 18" and threaded for my suppressor.
There's the light chassis unit
http://www.mossberg.com/category/series/mvp-series/mvp-lc-light-chassis/

And this unit. Which i would have purchased if it was offered when they hit the shelves.
http://www.mossberg.com/category/series/mvp-series/mvp-lr-long-range/
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 4:35:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not an issue with my MVP. However all i run are the MP & USGI 20 rd mags
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top