Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/11/2015 5:19:09 PM EDT
So lately I've really gotten the hankering for a bolt-action rifle in an inexpensive .30 caliber round.

Essentially, my use for it would be as something like a trainer rifle, as well as for taking to the woods to remove deer with.

I originally though about getting something like a Mosinka, but the only two that really interest me are the M39s (Very $$$$) or something like a M38 or M91/59, which are less spendy but still somewhat punishing to shoot. I'd buy a tin of 440 rounds and probably take 10 years to get through the whole thing.

So I started looking into one in a round I already have a bunch of; 7.62x39mm. Unfortunately, it seems there aren't hardly any rifles in this caliber around, which I can't understand.

There's the CZ 527, which is evidently made of some kind of super-rare alloy on the frickin' moon or something, based on how hard it is to find one. They do seem really nice, though.
The Remmy 799/Zastava M85, which is cheaper than the CZ, but I can't find a lot about it. Also it seems these aren't imported anymore, so spare parts might be an issue.
And the most expensive of the three, the discontinued Ruger M77 Hakweye Compacts. Most of these came with a crappy plastic stock, but some had walnut stocks. Sadly most I see of these are 2x the price of even a new CZ. And they don't even have iron sights, which means I'd be out even more to put an optic on the top immediately.

It seems very strange to me that Ruger at least doesn't make a 7.62x39mm bolt rifle with a .310/.311 bore; it's a great hunting round for this part of the country, you could shoot cheap crappy ammo all year at the range and then take some PDX1 or some of the nicer SP rounds out to get rid of critters with. I mean, they make a .300BLK Ruger American; why not make one in 7.62x39 and capture both ends of the market? Certainly it'd be cheaper to make than the old M77's.

Evidently Savage made a 7.62x39mm rifle at one time, but it's another one of those that I can't find much on.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 5:27:58 PM EDT
[#1]
The 7.62 x 39 bolt gun market has never gone anywhere.  There's been attempts over the years but they just don't sell.  My guess is the reputation of the AK for indifferent accuracy scares people off.  Plus there's a lot of crappy AK ammo floating around that even in  a bolt gun won't shoot that well.  

Your comment on the CZ is spot on.  It took be two years to find a 527 FS in 223.  Beautiful gun, but damn hard to find.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 5:56:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Interesting question.  I have never thought of 7.62x39 as anything other than an AK round to be honest.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 6:15:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Interesting question.  I have never thought of 7.62x39 as anything other than an AK round to be honest.
View Quote

I thought the same thing, but evidently people with the CZ's have been getting some really impressive groups with their rifles, even with the crappy steel-cased bulk ammo.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 7:09:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Something like this in x39 with either SKS mag stripper clip fed, or detach AK mag.

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 7:17:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Savage sells a 7.62 X 39 bolt action plus just looking on GB produces several 7.62 X 39 bolt actions for sale.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Bolt-Action-Rifles/BI.aspx?Keywords=7.62x39
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 8:16:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Interarms used to sell one as well.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 9:22:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Interarms used to sell one as well.
View Quote

This, look for a mini Mauser in x39.  They came in several flavors from very plain to decent stocks, and some with and some without iron sights. the ones imported and sold by Remington look really nice.  Remington put some pretty laminate stocks on them
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 9:42:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a 799.  I bought it because I always have a ton of 7.62x39 ammo available.   Fun little rifle.

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 9:59:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Both Ruger and Norinco made them. I have the Norinco in my safe but haven't been able to shoot it yet. A family member has the Ruger and loves it. The Ruger is stainless with a synthetic stock and matching scope. Very nice looking forward rifle. I will try to find more info for you.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 10:19:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a Ruger.  It shoots...OK.  I assume the bore diameter thing is the cause.  Seems to me the 300 Blk eliminates the need for these critters for everything but the novelty factor.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 10:20:35 PM EDT
[#11]

They are out there but are pretty scarce. Of course that doesn't always translate to expensive. The Norinco in the pic above was from a gunauction.com sale that went for $400 just under two years ago.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 10:27:02 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Something like this in x39 with either SKS mag stripper clip fed, or detach AK mag.

http://i62.tinypic.com/34edr1f.jpg
View Quote

I am..... Oddly turned on by this...  

What are those rifles?
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 10:42:46 PM EDT
[#13]
It probably hasn't been that worthwhile to make something like that because of the cheap option in 7.62x54r. Surplus ammo is cheap and Mosins have been cheap until recently. I would suspect 7.62x39 is so popular only because of the AK. If the AK were on the single most produced gun in the world then there would be a whole lot less 7.62x39 around.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 10:43:26 PM EDT
[#14]
It was my understanding that the Interarms one was the same as the Zastava, which is (almost) the same as the Remington 799. The main difference being the Remmy had a Remington-style extractor, while the other two had a Mauser style.

I would love one of the Rugers, but they're way, way outside my budget. Of the four on GB, one is $1200, the other is $1400 , and a third has a reserve over $875.

For that kind of money I could have a CZ, along with a VX-II or something to put on it.

Or be getting real close to a custom-built mini-Mauser.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 10:45:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

What are those rifles?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i62.tinypic.com/34edr1f.jpg

What are those rifles?

Look like TOZ-106 to me.

Bolt-action 20g shotguns.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 12:17:50 AM EDT
[#16]
The cz are reasonably priced
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 12:39:27 PM EDT
[#17]
I'd like to see Ruger make one in the American line, with iron sights. I'd buy it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 2:58:19 PM EDT
[#18]
It's kind of funny, I went to the Cabela's up here on a lark this morning, and what do I find sitting on the used gun rack?

A Savage Model 10 FCM in -you guessed it!- 7.62x39mm.

Naturally, I was about $150 short. They wanted $700 for it, although all the used guns were 10% off the sticker price, too.

I didn't think $630 or so was a bad price for one.

I don't think it'll last there, but if it's still there when I my tax return comes in, I think I'll pick it up.

I'll still have to buy a scope & rings, but in the mean time it does have iron sights, so I can at least go get my shooty on with it.

If it does sell maybe I'll buy myself one of their Interarms marked Browning HP's as a consolation present.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 9:16:27 PM EDT
[#19]
A friend of mine had an Australian International Arms (AIA) No. 5 in 7.62x39mm. AIA made three(?) Lee Enfield variations/copies - the No. 5 "Jungle Carbine" being one.

It used AK magazines and had a picatinny rail for optics. I had a look at it and also one of their No. 4 rifle copies. Decent rifles, maybe a touch crude, but they were very good value at retail price. AIA seemingly stopped making them a few years ago.

I don't think many were imported to the U.S. If the prices aren't ridiculous, it might be worth looking for one. Modern Australian made firearms are unusual.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 12:43:57 AM EDT
[#20]
I too years ago was on a bolt action 7.62x39mm kick, I couldn't find the Ruger m77, or the ruger Number 1 (not many made) , the interarms, then Charles daily, now zastava mini mausers look cool, but the one's I handled had horrible triggers and ruff actions. I bought the cz 527 carbibe, excellent rifle, like other cz's, I also have a 22 hornet that I love, the true mauser actions are great and slick, the fully adj. trigger is great, I don't use the single set trigger for hunting but cool feature. FYI the cz is a true .310bore, it was designed to shoot basically wolf,tula, Russian surplus,etc. It will shoot 1 ragged hole with them, I've done it, BUT I tried to handload a decent hunting many diff powders. .308,.310,.311 bullets used many diff combos tried never would shoot the way I wanted. That's when I called cz and they told me the above comment. Never got to check out a norinco, they were done importing them before I wanted to buy one. The ruger's weather older m77 or hawkeye are way to expensive IMO. Alos savage I think doesn't make the scout m10 anymore now either. I sold my cz a few years ago they sell for more now.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 1:54:36 AM EDT
[#21]
So what is the going rate for a CZ 527 in 7.62x39?
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 7:29:38 AM EDT
[#22]
I thought for sure I seen a CZ on the EE here within the last week or two, I believe the guy had it FT but I am sure if someone offered a fair price cash that it could be had.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 9:35:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
So what is the going rate for a CZ 527 in 7.62x39?
View Quote

On GB they are around $600 plus. The ruger m77 & hawkeye were between $900-1000plus but were being relisted obviously people don't want to pay that much.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 10:02:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I thought for sure I seen a CZ on the EE here within the last week or two, I believe the guy had it FT but I am sure if someone offered a fair price cash that it could be had.
View Quote

I saw that one too; I'm not sure of it's current status, but like the Savage, if it's still around when I have the money in hand, I'm gonna pull the trigger on it.

I'd much rather have the CZ over the Savage; at least I can get spare (albeit expensive) mags for it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 9:18:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Zastava M85 7.62x39 Bolt Action "Mini Mauser" Rifle, CAI Yugo Import. New $369.95
bolt
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 10:19:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Zastava M85 7.62x39 Bolt Action "Mini Mauser" Rifle, CAI Yugo Import. New $369.95
bolt
View Quote

Works for me, man. Appreciate it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 10:37:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
bolt
View Quote

I've been eyeing one of these myself but with the Manlicher stock which I think is still an option.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 10:44:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Damn that's a good price.  So tempting
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 10:58:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Now my only question is, what optic to put on it.

Maybe one of those Weaver 4x fixed-powers.

It'd spend most of it's time on a 100yd range anyway, and the M85 + the Weaver + mounts & rings is still cheaper than a new CZ.

If not the Weaver maybe a VX-1 2-7x instead. Although I think I'd like a fixed more for this kinda rifle.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 11:49:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

It'd spend most of it's time on a 100yd range anyway, and the M85 + the Weaver + mounts & rings is still cheaper than a new CZ.

If not the Weaver maybe a VX-1 2-7x instead. Although I think I'd like a fixed more for this kinda rifle.
View Quote

Primary Arms makes a couple of scopes that have BDC reticles calibrated for 7.62x39.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 1:35:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

I just bought a weaver compact 2-7 w/leupold rifleman rings, took it out of the box mounted the rings took it of the rifle and put it back in the box , changed my mind and went with a 3-9. Now I threw it on EE don't really have anything to put it on. such is life. The zastava is nice but the action and trigger don't compare to the CZ or ruger, at least the few I handled and shops and shows. personally I'd look for a good deal on a used CZ.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 11:48:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Primary Arms makes a couple of scopes that have BDC reticles calibrated for 7.62x39.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn, just looked them up

1-6x

4x
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 1:36:09 AM EDT
[#33]
I have a Davidsons Ruger 77 mk2 that is a great shooter, mine has the rosewood inserts in the stock.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 12:29:03 PM EDT
[#34]
OP, can you post a range report?  I'd be curious to see how the mini mauser in 7.62x39 shoots.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 1:26:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
OP, can you post a range report?  I'd be curious to see how the mini mauser in 7.62x39 shoots.
View Quote

Sure, as soon as I get it in I can.

I'll try to pick up a couple different boxes of ammo too, so I can test out some factory loads in it.

I only have access to a 100yd range though.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 9:10:04 AM EDT
[#36]
I'm a bit of a 7.62x39 bolt-action geek and literally own them all. The CZ, all the Ruger & Remington variants, the Zastava and the rebranded variants, the Norinco's, even the rare as chicken teeth AIA (all three models :-). Ive also collected the few single shots that made it to production like the No 1, NEFs, etc. So yes I'm an odd duck, but with that said I love the cartridge and evolved with it during the 'low price' era.

The hands down winner of the Russian 30cal BA market is CZ with their 527, it's simply brilliant. None of of the other rifles can touch it terms of accuracy, once you add the 'package' qualities like compactness, light-weight, durability, quality, trigger, sights, scope mount, beauty, etc, it leaves the others in the dust. You will pay for this quality at around $700.....but it's worth it. The CZ can make 7.62x39 do things that make most people believers in the short little Russian.

On the other hand one of the worst performing rifles is also one of the most expensive to buy, that being the Ruger versions. I hate to say it as I love Rugers, but it's true. They are built like tanks, quality made, nice to look at, and smooth shooters, but Ruger dropped the ball on accuracy, not one I e owned or shot has been a rock star shooter with most being ho-hum at best. Yet they command a high premium in the market, not sure why.

In the middle of these sits most of the rest, or should I say "sits one, but rebranded by many", and that is the Zastava. Many don't know this but the Remington's, the Dailys, the Interarms, etc, are all at least in part made by Zastava, at minimum is usually their action & trigger. Some add their own barrel, some just the stock, some use mostly Zastava but finish to a higher quality, some add their own irons while others leave them off, etc, etc. But honestly the M85 in its base form by Zastava is the best of the bunch given its buy-in price, none can honestly shoot much better....if I couldn't own a CZ my 2nd choice would be the M85. I would spend some time smoothing it up, refine it a bit and up the accuracy, then use the savings to buy ammo. It's an honest rifle at a really good price.

Speaking of price, the BA 7.62x39 market is goofy so if you are looking for one do your homework, often the M85 rebrands can go for crazy high prices when they in no way warrant it. Take for instance an Interarms currently listed on one of the auction sites that is pushing $700!!!! Obviously these bidders have no clue it's simply a used M85 with nice bluing & stock and a different companies name on it, used ones normally sell around $300. Go figure.  On the other hand the truly rare rifles like the AIAs sometimes attract little interest because no one knows what they are and the lister did a poor job describing it, a complete all original properly listed M10 or No1 can quickly fetch $2k. So again, do your homework and if you do t like what you see just wait it out, one summer you might see BA 7.62's selling like crazy for big bucks, then by the next summer they just sit there and do nothing. It swings back and forth.

But the no brainers are the CZ and the M85,
If you appreciate quality, accuracy, beauty, and can swing the Quatloo....get the CZ.
If you want an honest rifle for fun and medium range game all at a fair price....get the M85.
If you want a rare collector piece, look for an AIA or No1 :-)
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 10:32:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Yeah, those AIAs were classics. It's a shame the import went bad due to a combo of poor management and problematic Vietnamese-sourced wood. I've never seen one go for $2k, though... maybe $1200 if it was really really minty, and that would be high.

OTOH, Mossberg seems to understand that their MVP line is potentially a long-term core product for them, so I'm hoping they try their hand at a similar concept for 7.62x39/AK mags in the next year or two.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 11:05:13 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I'm a bit of a 7.62x39 bolt-action geek and literally own them all. The CZ, all the Ruger & Remington variants, the Zastava and the rebranded variants, the Norinco's, even the rare as chicken teeth AIA (all three models :-). Ive also collected the few single shots that made it to production like the No 1, NEFs, etc. So yes I'm an odd duck, but with that said I love the cartridge and evolved with it during the 'low price' era.
View Quote

You wouldn't happen to have pictures of some of these rifles you'd be willing to share?
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 11:10:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I'll try to pick up a couple different boxes of ammo too, so I can test out some factory loads in it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

100 yard accuracy results would tell me all I need to know.  My interest in a 7.62x39 BA is to have a bolt rifle is twofold: it would be fun to have a handy BA rifle that is cheap to shoot at the range and a low recoil rifle to have available for deer hunting where a "long" shot is still inside of 100 yards.  Since Virginia requires a caliber > .230 for legal use on whitetails, a .223 bolt gun wouldn't fulfill the second requirement.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 2:52:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

You wouldn't happen to have pictures of some of these rifles you'd be willing to share?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How about my favorite pair

The CZ Ive already made clear why I love, they really are special.
The AIAs are just freaks which is why they are my #2, but they are free-floated tack drivers as well. Built like Russian tanks, weigh a ton, built in rail, dual app sites, all chrome & park, pretty wood, and a 30 round bolt action is just stupid cool

Link Posted: 2/20/2015 3:06:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Not sure that pic above is showing turned 90deg....?

Here is a pair of A2s showing the two stock variations
Ive also got a matching pair of the A1 version as well as a B2, I just need to find a B1 to complete the collection but there are less than ten B's in the U.S. an no one wants to sell theirs.

Link Posted: 2/20/2015 3:15:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

100 yard accuracy results would tell me all I need to know.  My interest in a 7.62x39 BA is to have a bolt rifle is twofold: it would be fun to have a handy BA rifle that is cheap to shoot at the range and a low recoil rifle to have available for deer hunting where a "long" shot is still inside of 100 yards.  Since Virginia requires a caliber > .230 for legal use on whitetails, a .223 bolt gun wouldn't fulfill the second requirement.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

With good ammunition three shots groups from 100 can be covered with a quarter.
I primarily shoot Yugo M67 but have equally good results with the better domestic loads.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 4:20:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Yeah, those AIAs were classics. It's a shame the import went bad due to a combo of poor management and problematic Vietnamese-sourced wood. I've never seen one go for $2k, though... maybe $1200 if it was really really minty, and that would be high.

OTOH, Mossberg seems to understand that their MVP line is potentially a long-term core product for them, so I'm hoping they try their hand at a similar concept for 7.62x39/AK mags in the next year or two.
View Quote

Ive sold one well above $2k at auction, LNIB with with the cloth bag, buffalo sling, and two matching mags.
The B versions Ive found were all well over $3k as they were never imported directly to the U.S, all were imported by individuals.

I keep seeing that MVP rumor pop up and I too would love to see it, even without an AK mag, just so long as it has a proper Russian bore. So many of these rifles flopped IMO (like the Rugers) because they went with a U.S. bore when most of our ammo is surplus. Go figure
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 4:34:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I primarily shoot Yugo M67 but have equally good results with the better domestic loads.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I built one using  a 93 Mauser receiver and a Numrich barrel that pretty much mirrors those results.  Remington ammunition usually results in a nice ragged hole.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 5:21:38 PM EDT
[#45]
The only portion of the 799 that Remington contributes is the stock.  Everything else is Zastava.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 7:03:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Well, the Gov't paid me what they owed me (the Feds did, anyway), so I shot that guy on the EE a IM about that CZ, and if it's sold then I'll be ordering the Zastava after I hear back from him.

I'd rather have the CZ, but I'll take what I can get.

This is dipping into my MK.47 funds now, but that's okay.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 9:36:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Well, the Gov't paid me what they owed me (the Feds did, anyway), so I shot that guy on the EE a IM about that CZ, and if it's sold then I'll be ordering the Zastava after I hear back from him.

I'd rather have the CZ, but I'll take what I can get.

This is dipping into my MK.47 funds now, but that's okay.
View Quote

If it falls through there are a couple 527's on GB & AL $700-725
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 9:47:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Not sure that pic above is showing turned 90deg....?

Here is a pair of A2s showing the two stock variations
Ive also got a matching pair of the A1 version as well as a B2, I just need to find a B1 to complete the collection but there are less than ten B's in the U.S. an no one wants to sell theirs.

http://i558.photobucket.com/albums/ss21/ChicasPix/AIA%20M10/image.jpg1_zpsxw25yenj.jpg

http://i558.photobucket.com/albums/ss21/ChicasPix/AIA%20M10/image.jpg5_zpsvq81u9kj.jpg

View Quote

Pretty damn cool.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 10:09:16 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those are gorgeous rifles.  Three shots inside of a quarter at 100 yards is well within "minute of deer".    I'm currently working with a Rem 700 in 6.5x55 Swede, but once I have loads dialed in I'm going to seriously consider a 7.62x39 bolt action.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 10:30:01 PM EDT
[#50]
I have a CZ and its just a very well built little carbine. Fun gun.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top