Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2011 4:57:40 PM EDT
Particularly a bolt action rifle barrel with good success?  The more primitive the method the better.

The barrel on my savage is 24" currently, but I'd like to take it down to 18"-20".  The only thing I'm nervous about is the rifle is currently more accurate than I am, so I really don't want to muck it up and turn my MOA rifle into a 4 MOA rifle.
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 5:10:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I've seen people bob a barrel with tape and a hacksaw, true the face up with a mill file, then recess the crown with a big dome headed bolt and successively finer grades of lapping grit chucked in a power drill.

However, I might just go find out how much it costs to get it done at ADCO etc.
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 5:20:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, but I use a lathe to do it. A quality smith shouldn't charge you much to cut and recrown.
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 5:21:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I`ve done a few with good results by using a round head machine screw in a drill. It has to be for a sloted screw driver. & the head has to be a little bigger than the bore. Turn on the drill & hold it, head first, against the bore until it cuts a small chamfer in it. It doesn`t have to be very much, just even all the way around. Also the barrel must be cut square (perfectly flat). There is a video on Midway USA that will show you how to do it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 6:20:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I`ve done a few with good results by using a round head machine screw in a drill. It has to be for a sloted screw driver. & the head has to be a little bigger than the bore. Turn on the drill & hold it, head first, against the bore until it cuts a small chamfer in it. It doesn`t have to be very much, just even all the way around. Also the barrel must be cut square (perfectly flat). There is a video on Midway USA that will show you how to do it.

I saw that video, which was what gave me the idea.  I've called a few smiths that want $100+ to cut and recrown, but all have about 3 month lead times.  I do have access to a few lathes, but I'm not sure I can bring a rifle barrel in to put on the machines.  I do have a chamfer tool I figure I could use after I cut it.

Link Posted: 6/15/2011 6:36:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I've done two bolt guns, and a PSL.

Savage 110
Enfield someone else bubbaed before I cut into it.
The PSL was the most finicky.

Cut it. File to true.

Get a rounded ball mill, or grinding stone that is .75 inches in face and rest it into the muzzle. Rest the medium speed drill in your hand and let it self-center the ball for 20 or so seconds until you have a 1/16in to 1/8 inch crown. Then put the polishing patch of fine grit sand paper on the muzzle between the ball mill and the crown. polish until smooth in appearance.

I had to start from scratch twice to get the PSL right, and once with the Enfield.

The PSL is more accurate.

The Savage will cloverleaf with hand loads at 100. I used it out to 600 at Tiger Valley.

Link Posted: 6/15/2011 7:52:51 PM EDT
[#6]
What part of AZ?  Phoenix area I had my 308 cut, crowned and threaded with a muzzle cap also
done at Accuracy Speaks a few years back, Good work but prepare to leave for a month
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 8:21:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What part of AZ?  Phoenix area I had my 308 cut, crowned and threaded with a muzzle cap also
done at Accuracy Speaks a few years back, Good work but prepare to leave for a month

Yea, the lead times kind of suck.  I wish I could take my barrel into the shop and do it there.  I could do all that and more.  I'd love to do a spiral fluting on the barrel.
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 8:51:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Adco did a pretty good job on my last threading. The price was fair and quick.
Complete opposite of the local 100+ cost with a 3-4 month wait....

The only way to do it cheaper is yourself with a freinds mill... Thats my thoughts.

If you want practice I can send you a demilled barrel peice.
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 9:14:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Adco did a pretty good job on my last threading. The price was fair and quick.
Complete opposite of the local 100+ cost with a 3-4 month wait....

The only way to do it cheaper is yourself with a freinds mill... Thats my thoughts.

If you want practice I can send you a demilled barrel peice.

I would love it if you could.
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 10:30:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Before Ruger offered the 10/22T barrel in a 16" length, I chopped my 20" barrel down to 16.25" with a cutoff wheel in a side grinder, being very careful to make the cut square. I rounded off the outside of the barrel with a file, and crowned it using the afore-mentioned slotted roundhead screw, but I used automotive valve grinding compound. After it was done, I took it to the range and tried it out - no change in accuracy.
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 1:24:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I've done a couple of barrels using the 11° crown tool from brownells.  Like others have said: cut the barrel (I used a hack saw), square with file, cut crown with tool.  Smooth edges and reblue.  I didn't notice any loss of accuracy, but I only shoot out to 100 yards with wolf, so YMMV.
Link Posted: 6/16/2011 6:29:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've done a couple of barrels using the 11° crown tool from brownells.  Like others have said: cut the barrel (I used a hack saw), square with file, cut crown with tool.  Smooth edges and reblue.  I didn't notice any loss of accuracy, but I only shoot out to 100 yards with wolf, so YMMV.

I cut a FAL barrel down to 18" with a portaband.  I used duct tape as a wrap-around.  I used a file to square the end, changing direction often.  I then used the Brownells 11 degree tool with a cut off wheel to finish squaring the barrel.  Then crowned barrel with tool.  Then used ball bearing and lapping paste to break the rifling.  The FAL was more accurate after I was done.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 5:39:39 AM EDT
[#13]
I've used the muzzle crowning tool from Brownells
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=628/Product/79_deg__MUZZLE_CROWNING_CUTTER.  You will also need the appropriate pilot

I went this route but did it for several barrels so it made it worth while for me.  For 1 barrel I would send it out or leave it alone.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 8:43:18 AM EDT
[#14]
I've done a Mini-14 from 18.5 to 16.5," .177 airgun from 14 to 10," an AR-15 from 20-16," and PSL from 24 to 21." The method used for all was hacksaw, file, then Brownell's muzzle facing and crowning cutters with final finish by sanding. They all turned out great, and all maintained the same accuracy.

I can't see doing the face and crown without the proper tools.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 6:53:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Yep, it ain't that hard. Cut slightly over length the true using a square and a file. Once you get it nice and even clean it up with some emery paper. A bit of valve grinding compound slathered on a brass round head screw spun with with a cordless drill will finish the job.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 9:46:05 PM EDT
[#16]
what do you guys use to keep the file square on the face of the barrel?  In the midway video, he used a piece of angle iron it looked like.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 7:39:15 PM EDT
[#17]
so, I tried it this afternoon.

went from this:

to this:

I really need to figure out a better way to square up the muzzle a little better than I did.  Any ideas?
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 2:01:41 AM EDT
[#18]
I've also been wondering about this. My 26" barrel on my 700 is just a bit too much. Anyone else have step by step pictures of their chops?
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:07:24 AM EDT
[#19]
I haven't cut down a barrel but I re-crowned a Mauser using a deburring tool. Worked wonders and I am getting good groups.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:15:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

went from this:
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa57/tobylazur/IMG_2897.jpg

to this:
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa57/tobylazur/IMG_2911.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa57/tobylazur/IMG_2909.jpg
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa57/tobylazur/IMG_2916.jpg

I really need to figure out a better way to square up the muzzle a little better than I did.  Any ideas?

The crown tool from Brownells will help clean that up, but a good file and some patience will also work wonders.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:18:51 AM EDT
[#21]
I thought the barrel crown was critical for maintaining accuracy.  Is this not the case?
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:21:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

went from this:
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa57/tobylazur/IMG_2897.jpg

to this:
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa57/tobylazur/IMG_2911.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa57/tobylazur/IMG_2909.jpg
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa57/tobylazur/IMG_2916.jpg

The crown tool from Brownells will help clean that up, but a good file and some patience will also work wonders.

I did end up finding the rest of my files, and was able to clean it up a lot more.

my buddy has a chamfering tool I'm going to use on the crown as well.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 8:53:02 AM EDT
[#23]

a good crowning tool will have a protruding pin (pilot) that fits closely into the bore - when you turn the tool it cuts the crown concentric and square with the bore, regardless of if your original cut and file job was a little off.

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:15:16 AM EDT
[#24]
I tried it once on a .22 barrel. Chucked it in a lath to true up the face and cut the crown.

Here is before and after.

" target="_blank">
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top