Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/17/2009 8:17:14 AM EDT
I apologize in advance for the bad photo quality.  My camera doesn't do close ups very well and this really is the best I could get out of it.

I have a Stevens 200 long action in 7mm Remington Magnum.  I've got a Nikon Prostaff 3x9x40 on it.  Problem is, getting the scope mounted was a royal pain in my dick.  The scope won't get between the rings with standard rings.  I ended up getting a set of Weaver rings where one of the rings is an extension ring.  The scope barely gets between the rings this way, but it does.  However, to get the scope between the rings, I had to mount my Weaver bases such that the cross slot on the rear base is towards the muzzle, and the cross slot on the front base is toward the shooter.  My concern is that the rear ring might not be stable.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:06:52 AM EDT
[#1]
You sure you got the right sized rings?
 They look a might small.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:11:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
You sure you got the right sized rings?  They look a might small.

It's a Weaver brand base, they're Weaver-branded rings intended to mount to a Weaver style base.  1" diameter and they're holding a 1" scope.  Seems like they're exactly the right size to me.  I'm just concerned if the rear ring is going to be stable or not because of how some of the gripping surface of the ring is hanging out forward of the base, rather than grabbing the base with all of its gripping surface like the front ring is.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:56:13 AM EDT
[#3]

Have you considered one of these ...

EGW base

Mike
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:06:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Have you considered one of these ...

EGW base

Mike

I might ought to get one of those.  I had hoped to avoid one piece because it makes single loading a bit more cumbersome, but I might not have a realistic alternative if my rear scope ring isn't stable.

But maybe it will be stable.  Was hoping someone knowledgeable could take a look at the pics make a determination of some kind.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:23:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Was hoping someone knowledgeable could take a look at the pics make a determination of some kind.

It may well be stable hard to tell from a picture . However it is certainly not an ideal situation to have a pressure point not sitting on the support/base.

Mike
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:38:06 PM EDT
[#6]
It will be fine, I have done that a few times and never had a problem.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top