Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2008 7:34:57 AM EDT
I have a bud looking to part with his Springfield SAR 8.

HK licensed product made in Greece with about 400 down the pipe.

He wants $1350

Jump on it?

Why not?

(Have a nice L1A1 on Imbel Gear logo  I don't shoot enough as is.)
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 11:43:11 AM EDT
[#1]
 They are nice rifles but I think he is a bit high.  One was on the EE recently and sold for around $1000. It did sell pretty quick though.

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:15:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a friend that wants to replace one he let go a few years ago.  He may want it if you don't take it.  Let me know.  He's in kinda a hurry so he'd probably pay that.  I wouldn't.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:45:05 PM EDT
[#3]
$1350 is pretty high considering that the PTR91's are built on the same HK tooling as well and can be found brand new for $1000 all day
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:53:16 AM EDT
[#4]
If it has the "weaver" rail integrated into the receiver, avoid it all costs.

Otherwise, the SAR8's are excellent G3 style rifles. Most would consider the SAR8's to be among the 3 or 4 best civilian G3 rifles availible.

However, what does an SAR8 or HK91 do that a brand new PTR91 won't? H&K's will obviously always have some value because of the name, but in terms of performance there really isn't any difference. If anything, the newer guns might have an edge...

The price for the SAR8 is high IMO, especially if it has the "weaver" receiver. The PTR91 is a top of the line G3 clone and with these availible NIB/with warranty for 1k or less, why buy something else?

If you want a G3 type rifle, a PTR91 is probably the best choice for any number of reasons.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:05:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Too much $$$.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:05:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have a bud looking to part with his Springfield SAR 8.

HK licensed product made in Greece with about 400 down the pipe.

He wants $1350

Jump on it?

Why not?

(Have a nice L1A1 on Imbel Gear logo  I don't shoot enough as is.)

See if you can test fire first.  Also find out why you don't shoot the L1A1 before buying another 308.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:50:05 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If it has the "weaver" rail integrated into the receiver, avoid it all costs.

Greek guns do not have the cast aluminum receiver... never have...

$1350 is fair for a clean rifle... it's superior to every other clone out there having been built on tooling/machinery set up by HK under license.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:56:40 PM EDT
[#8]
If it was the SAR-3 (pre-89 import ban) the price would be fair. It's gonna cost quite a few bucks to de-butthole stock that one if the compliance parts can be found to do it. I've seen a few HK's in the $1500 range the last couple years, prices have softened on the imports with the domestic clones available.

JMHO
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:10:31 AM EDT
[#9]
You have never seen an SAR8 with the integrated "weaver" rail? They are out there...

can I get a witness?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:36:26 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
You have never seen an SAR8 with the integrated "weaver" rail? They are out there...

can I get a witness?

Yes they are out there. But the OP stated that this one is a Greek. The aluminum things are NOT Greek.
Couple years ago I passed up a Greek SAR 8 for $630 out the door, on consignment for a quick sale. This thread got me thinkin bout it again.

Stoopid stoopid stoopid...
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:14:14 PM EDT
[#11]

Also find out why you don't shoot the L1A1 before buying another 308.  

Uh, maybe the price of ammo?

Thanks for the replies fellows.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:42:25 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Also find out why you don't shoot the L1A1 before buying another 308.  

Uh, maybe the price of ammo?

Thanks for the replies fellows.

The SAR-8 is one of my favorite rifle.  I would still recommend that you go and test fire it.  Maybe the price of the ammo will be will worth it with this rifle.  Maybe your friend will accept the L1A1 as a partial trade...since you don't shoot it.  However, the L1A1 is also a very fine battle rifle worth spending time with and customizing it to fit your needs.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:38:08 AM EDT
[#13]
The sheet metal Greek-made Springfield Armory SAR3/SAR8 is every bit as good as the real HK, and in some respects better. The rear sight has a couple of thumb nuts for adjustment whereas the HK needs the HK sight tool, or needle nose pliers.

BTW: The SAR3/SAR8 has the G1-type trigger pack made to only fire single, whereas the HK91 has the special HK91 single-fire trigger pack, but either trigger pack is interchangeable with the other assuming each use the same metal housing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top