Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/27/2008 11:39:57 AM EDT
I own a Mini-14 Ranch Rifle and three AR-15s plus a couple of stripped lowers. Thinking of getting another 5.56x45mm rifle. I wouldn't mind having the NRA Mini-14. Blah, blah, blah, blah.... I own. Mini-14 is evil, doesn't work, etc.... I like it and it's a fun little range rifle and plinker. I have some factory 20rd magazines for it so that's not an issue.

But again the Kel-Tec SU-16C is catching my attention because it's less expensive then the Mini-14 and it's also a little tiny thing. Anyone here own a Kel-Tec SU-16C? I have a mini so I know what I'm getting.
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 12:07:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd go with the Mini, personally. I've had bad luck w/ KT's, and won't own another.

YMMV
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 12:37:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Save the cash and get something with more substance like a precision AR, a REM 700, Win mod 70, ect.

Link Posted: 5/27/2008 12:39:52 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Save the cash and get something with more substance like a precision AR, a REM 700, Win mod 70, ect.

I'd agree.
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 12:47:55 PM EDT
[#4]
If you are wanting a light / small 5.56 weapon:

I'd say take one of your lowers and build a nice lightweight / KISS build.  Would be a fun plinker, light enough to take with you camping, etc.

Plus if you build it from good parts, it will be good for home-defense / SHTF.  You'd fulfill your current 'mission' goals with a new rifle and keep standardized with your other ARs... which sounds like you have the most of.

If you already have a lightweight build and want something different... make this one camo... or put Tan / OD furnature on it.

Aside from that... buy ammo
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 12:55:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I had a Su-16C it was junk.  The but and stock in general was uncomfortable and rubbed the face bad.  Bipod was not steady.  sights were junk screwed on and would fall off while shooting.  JUNK.  Traded it in towards a Glock 35.
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 1:38:23 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/27/2008 1:42:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I think the Mini-14 is a good gun if you are a Garand fan. It's the only Garand I know of chambered for 5.56 NATO.

That being said, I have had great experience with the Kel Tec PF-9 and the Kel Tec PLR-16. The designer George Keligren IMHO is a brilliant designer, and it shows in his designs.

The PLR-16 pistol and the SU-16C share many of the same components. Consider:

- It is designed as a gas piston design from the ground up.
- It uses the same bolt face as the AR-15 and also uses the same magazines.
- It comes with a 1/2 x 28" threaded muzzle. My PLR-16 uses a Phantom 5C2 FH.
- It comes with a Picatinny rail topside. There is an optional foregrip you can purchase and install which comes with a bottom rail.
- Unlike the AR, THERE IS NO BUFFER TUBE. The gas piston recoil mechanism is like that of the AK-47, co-axial with the gas piston above the barrel.
- Lack of a buffer tube means the stock can TRULY FOLD.
- The bolt carrier assembly is similar to the mechanical design you see in the SCAR.
- The materials used in the rifle are tough polycarbonate, like the Glock. (Not a true carbon fiber, like the Bushmaster Carbon-15. But it costs less, too)

Now, just swap the 9" pistol barrel for a 16" barrel, swap the pistol grip for a folding rifle stock, and you have the SU-16C. There are also two SBR variants (SU16D) with two different short barrel choices.

SO... don't sell the SU-16 and Kel-Tec short. The Kel-Tecs are heavily discounted even when new. They are utterly reliable. They are amazingly accurate. You can't compare the SU-16C to a "normal" AR. You should compare it to the modern Gas Piston AR-type designs.

My personal experience with the SU-16C's little brother has been very, very good. I like it a lot, and I think you will be impressed with a 16C...

Link Posted: 5/27/2008 2:30:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Get the mini. They are nice weapons despite what anyone has to say as you already know and if you already have the mags I see no problem.
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 2:51:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Since you asked -- I wouldn't get either.  I'm with the rest that said save the money and get something else.
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 3:03:20 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Since you asked -- I wouldn't get either.  I'm with the rest that said save the money and get something else.

Get some ammo for the clubs you've got.  Whenever I see a guy with more than one Mini, I always wonder a little.
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 5:01:37 PM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 5/27/2008 5:24:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Out of the two.  I would say get the Mini.  The NRA Mini is a collector's item.
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 5:47:02 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Or some old mil-surps,or some used pistols.

You have one mini-14 you like for whatever reason I wouldn't push your luck.

Me thinks you just want a bunch of us to cry and say OH NO! You are obviously going to do whatever you please but there are lots of fun guns out there that would seem to be a better value!
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 7:46:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Hmmm.... also thinking of maybe getting a AK-74.

Sucks. I have about $1,000 sitting there and I want to get something else that is black and evil before 09.
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 7:50:30 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Hmmm.... also thinking of maybe getting a AK-74.

Sucks. I have about $1,000 sitting there and I want to get something else that is black and evil before 09.
Buy this and a shit load of ammo while it's still cheap.
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 8:00:02 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a Kel-tec Su 16C. I've put aboutg 1000 rounds through it and never had a problem. The bi-pod system is not very steady. My shooting friends are benchrest guys and this rifle doesn't fit in because of a lack of accuracy. I haven't shot it in about a year, but as I recall, the best I could get was 1.5 to 2.0 MOA. The folding stock is great, I could fold it up and put it in the saddlebag of my bike and go to the range.
   myerfire
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 8:02:15 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

bank,

Whle I own several Ruger's, don't ever buy one because it is a "Collectors Item".  You will be sucking prunes before you make any money at all, and even then, you would have done WAY better to put your money in even CD's!!

Get one because you want to shoot it.

Doc
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 9:01:23 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
If you are wanting a light / small 5.56 weapon:

I'd say take one of your lowers and build a nice lightweight / KISS build.  Would be a fun plinker, light enough to take with you camping, etc.

Plus if you build it from good parts, it will be good for home-defense / SHTF.  You'd fulfill your current 'mission' goals with a new rifle and keep standardized with your other ARs... which sounds like you have the most of.

If you already have a lightweight build and want something different... make this one camo... or put Tan / OD furnature on it.

Aside from that... buy ammo

What he said
Link Posted: 5/28/2008 12:12:51 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Ditto.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 7:29:49 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I had a Su-16C it was junk.  The but and stock in general was uncomfortable and rubbed the face bad.  Bipod was not steady.  sights were junk screwed on and would fall off while shooting.  JUNK.  Traded it in towards a Glock 35.

And this is why I don't trust gun magazines. They all ranted that this thing was just wonderful.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 8:00:18 AM EDT
[#21]
I'll just get me a DPMS Panther Lite 20.

I ahve some surplus M16A1 gear lying around the house and the Lite 20 is built on a A1 upper with barrel.

I've been wanting to get a retro anyways.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 5:17:01 PM EDT
[#22]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

bank,

Whle I own several Ruger's, don't ever buy one because it is a "Collectors Item".  You will be sucking prunes before you make any money at all, and even then, you would have done WAY better to put your money in even CD's!!

Get one because you want to shoot it.

Doc

Yes I agree with you.  But I wasn't talking about it from an investment standpoint, just as another reason to chose the mini.  The NRA mini will only be made in 2008.  You can always get an SU 16C in a few years, if they are still being made.  Also, Minis do have there own niche market.   "Limited edition" Minis that were made 20+ years ago such as the ones with wooden handguards and with factory folders currently sell at a premium to those who want them.  Personally I wouldn't buy a firearms as an investment, thats why I have a 401K.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 5:26:18 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And this is why I don't trust gun magazines. They all ranted that this thing was just wonderful.

so you trust internet opinons more?

my buddy has a su-16 that he swears by. its never jammed when I was shooting it, and handles great. while the bipod is flimsy, it still works great in a pinch.

eta: plenty of people say that AR's are crap too, doesnt make it so. perhaps one specific rifle is a dud, but that doesnt speak for the whole design.

su-16's are light, compact, and reliable. they are more accurate than your average AK, but less than your average AR. never had much experience with a mini-14, but I am not overly impressed by the design, the company, or the reputation for terrible accuracy.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 8:42:29 PM EDT
[#24]
What's the difference between the NRA and regular Mini? All I see is the shorter barrel and sights.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 10:11:45 PM EDT
[#25]
What Mini 14 do you have? If you have an "old" model, you will be very impressed with the "new" NRA model.

Ruger guarantees 2 MOA on thier "new" Mini 14's, and my GB Carbine actually shot much tighter. With the adoption of the 6.8 SPC Mini 14, later "new" Mini 14's have an "HBAR", atleast compared to older barrels. This, coupled with the carbine barrel length reduces accuracy robbing harmonics/whip and reduces heat-related stringing. I also find the "new" sights to be much more servicable. On my GB Carbine, I added a factory Ruger bayonet lug/FS and mounted it mid-way on the barrel, per the original. What a fast handling carbine that was...Zeroed for 100 yards, it was the ultimate truck gun. Personally, I always thought the original Mini 14 apeture was a little small and I ended up drilling mine out. The "new" models fix this...Mounting a scope is also much easier. A Trijicon Accupoint or similar low-power variable would be awesome on this gun.

I loved my Mini 14 GB's. They were accurate, reliable and had excellent handling characteristics. Unfortunatly, they aren't the "easiest" guns to own. There are limited to no spare parts availible on the open market. Even if there were, many require fitting...
Ruger also offers no support to civilian GB owners, which means if something breaks you have a 700.00 club. While they are very reliable, Mini 14's aren't the most durable guns and are prone to various breakages when exposed to hard use. Which makes support and replacement parts very critical. I also didn't appreciate the 40.00-100.00 factory 20 and 30 round magazines which work with nothing else... As great as my Mini 14's were, my Sig 556's or AR's are better. Apples to oranges, but the latter can do everything I need better and for less money.

Still, I really miss my 5.45 GB....especially with ammo prices.

I would like to buy another Mini 14, but I couldn't buy a standard model. It would have to be a GB or nothing.*I grew up watching A-Team* As much as I would like another, I just can't get past the prices. 700.00 +/- for a "new" non-GB? No thanks...It was a stretch for me to give 675.00 for GB's....The Mini 14 was a great gun in caliber for the money. As good as it is, an AR15 is better and now there is no real price difference.

I am a Mini 14 fan, so if you like them...buy one. They are really good guns. However, for the price, I would be looking at other alternatives. Personally, I would skip the Kel-Tec too.

If I had around 700.00 to buy a non-AR 5.56 gun, I would be looking hard at the Arsenal SLR106F and Century Golani*Galil*.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 10:25:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Get both
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 1:51:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Iowned a KT Su-16c for about 3 months.  Had major issues hitting anything even with a scope on it.  Sold the gun with that time frame and saved up and bought a xcr.  
With KTs you have to want to buy a gun then work on them to get them to reach a 'shooting' potential.  WIth all of them, you have to be a gunsmith before and after you buy them.  The mini is redesigned, it may work better now.  As a federal security guard, I would trust the mini only the distance I can throw it at an inmate, no farther.  Junk, and not made to withstand anything.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:53:30 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Iowned a KT Su-16c for about 3 months.  Had major issues hitting anything even with a scope on it.  Sold the gun with that time frame and saved up and bought a xcr.  
With KTs you have to want to buy a gun then work on them to get them to reach a 'shooting' potential.  WIth all of them, you have to be a gunsmith before and after you buy them.  The mini is redesigned, it may work better now.  As a federal security guard, I would trust the mini only the distance I can throw it at an inmate, no farther.  Junk, and not made to withstand anything.

I bet you wouldn't stand at 100 yards and let me fire just one shot of my NRA Mini 14 at you........
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top