Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/3/2006 10:57:21 AM EDT
OK, I've got this little issue that I'm trying to fix... Initially, I encountered this on a Mosin Nagant, then later on a second Nagant, and finally on a (new) factory bolt action (marlin .22, bought as a trainer for newbies)...

On every bolt carrier, there's an area cut out on the back end, for the cocking handle to move around on (it's basically there so that one can release spring tension, so as to disassemble the bolt assembly).
Every time I close the bolt, the bolt 'sticks' a little during the travel, just as I start to turn it. This is because that cocking unit (the rear most part of the bolt assembly, on Nagant's, it's a handle for re-cocking) is riding over a little ridge that prevents the assembly from slipping apart (or releasing spring tension when the bolt is open/out.

Now, I've tried doing a little filing on that small area which keeps the bolt from losing tension on it's own. It's helped. I filed some more, and now if I give that rear piece a strong twist it will come loose on it's own -- BUT, the stickiness is ALMOST gone. I'm sure that with some good polishing it will get even better.

Any of you bolt-gun lovers out there know how to get rid of the stikiness entirely, and end up with a perfectly smooth travel? Is the secret to re-cut that area on the back and turn the ridge into a ramp, or what?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:47:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you added oil to it???? That's my solution to almost all "sticky" gun problems.

My .o2
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:43:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep, tried oil. Tried grease too.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:06:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, keep in mind that a Mosin ain't exactly made like a Weatherby, ya know???  

You're not get get too much smoothness out of a cow's ear there, IMO. I'd be worried about maybe filing off too much metal & FUBARing the bolt, which is why I hardly ever, ever attempt gunsmithing on my own stuff.

My .o2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top