Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2006 10:01:43 PM EDT
I have an as new in the box Charter Arms Explorer II pistol (never fired).

Do these have any collector value?

I have another Explorer II that I've made into a rifle pistol combo that I like.  I sold the extra pistol barrel and grips on eBay and got about a $100 for those.

Do these pistols have any collector value or is the only value in parting them out?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:21:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't know if anything Charter made would be collectable.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:49:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Maybe "collector value" is the wrong term.

Perhaps what I should have said was "cult following".

I'm more afraid of ffinancially shooting myself in the foot by cutting off the pistol grip and building another rifle/pistol combo gun.  (I absolutely hate the pistol grips on the Explorer II)

Like I said before, I've done this once already, but I used a beat up Explorer II that I only gave $25 for.  With the addition of an AR-7 rifle barrel and the floating stock, it makes a nice little set up.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:19:42 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Perhaps what I should have said was "cult following".

Sorry. No; no cult following that I've ever heard of.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:54:09 AM EDT
[#4]
You're not going to easily fit it into the stock designed for the rifle. There's a 1/4" threaded hole located at an angle & I don't think the pistol version has enough material in this area to drill & tap, and getting the angle right would be hard anyway.

The locator pin on the rifle barrels is located on the top, while the pistol barrels have it on the bottom. You'll have to cut a matching groove on the top of the pistol's receiver to use the rifle barrels.

In any event the little pistol rear sight won't work well with the rifle barrel's front sight so you'll need a scope mount or something.

Duncan Long has a book about the AR7's & he made a wire stock for his ExpII to go along with the rifle barrel. Look at a copy at the next gun show to get some ideas, but I'd just buy an AR7 rifle & leave the pistol alone.

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:00:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I a have already done all  the modifications to one pistol.  

I removed the pistol grip frame, added aditional material for tapping, modified the rear sight so it fits into the floating stock, milled a new rifle barrel alignment slot.  The receiver is for all practical purposes the same as the AR7 except it says Explorer II on the side.  I also built an adaptor so I could use an AR-15 grip while using it as a pistol.  (I am a machinist.  None of this was dificult.)

What I want to know is if the pistol has any monetary value as a whole gun, like new in the box.
It has only been handled.  There are no scratches.  Never fired.

If it has no real value, other than as a large, bulky, .22 plinker,  I'm going to chop it and sell the extra barrel and plastic grip panels.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:10:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I have an Explorer II pistol along with an AR7 rifle. I don't think there is is much collector value in the pistol except perhaps to an AR7 collector if there is such a thing. The pistol is kinda obscure and a silly example of a pistol.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:04:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Based on a quick look at auctionarms and gunsamerica, I would have to say no.  Do what you will, things are worth what people are willing to pay for them, and I don't see a lot of people rushing to pay for a Charter Arms.  Just my .02
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top