Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2006 6:13:56 PM EDT
I hear from a random post that the SCAR 5.56 is 7.7lbs.

That seems a little heavy than hoped.  Anyway, the only parts difference between the 5.56 version and the 7.62 version is: barrel, "bolt head" (bolt), and lower polymer reciever.  Everything else including the upperreceiver is the same.  

Therefore, with this miminal parts difference, how heavy should the 7.62 version be.  8lbs? 8 1/2?  

If I could get a reliable 308 semi at under 8lbs (albeit it w/ skinny barrel), I would have a party in my pants and everybody would be coming!
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:54:24 PM EDT
[#1]
7lbs for the SCAR H
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:52:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm sorry, but I won't be attending the party in your pants.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:36:43 PM EDT
[#3]
The one at the Shot Show did not feel heavy at all.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:15:21 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
7lbs for the SCAR H

That is incredible.  Where are you getting your info from?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:22:38 AM EDT
[#5]
SCAR/ARM-L - 7.24 pounds.
SCAR/ARM-H - 7.74 pounds.

There's a decent thread tacked in Rifles, Uppers, Lowers, Barrels, and more. You can find it by clicking >HERE<.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:27:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Thank You Sir
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 1:37:40 PM EDT
[#7]
the SCAR H at shot show was 7 lbs......asked 3 reps and was told that the civilian version would be out in 1 to 1and a half years....also at same weight......when I picked up the rifle I could not believe how amazingly light the damn thing was, if they dont screw around with it anymore and it comes out at same weight I am buying 2 lol :)
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:19:43 PM EDT
[#8]
1 1/2 years is a long time.............I hope they get these out before significant political changes come about, otherwise we might not be able to get them

Quoted:
the SCAR H at shot show was 7 lbs......asked 3 reps and was told that the civilian version would be out in 1 to 1and a half years....also at same weight......when I picked up the rifle I could not believe how amazingly light the damn thing was, if they dont screw around with it anymore and it comes out at same weight I am buying 2 lol :)

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:25:31 PM EDT
[#9]
yes that would suck big time
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:19:14 PM EDT
[#10]
If those politician screw me out finally getting a good 308 semi I am going to be so pissed
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:53:55 PM EDT
[#11]
'Internet rumor' has it that the ARM-H is reportedly too light for FA controllability, such that it's going get beefed up.  As for the 1.5-2 yr wait, odds are, if it can't make it to market @ respectable volume w/in at least 6-12 months, prior to the next federal election cycle, & the country takes a nasty political turn, FN might miss the profit boat.  OTOH, FN might be intentionally overestimating the timeline to keep a lid on expectations.

I'd like to believe that anyway.

BTW: For reference, the FAL comes in @ ~9-10 lbs.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:11:06 AM EDT
[#12]
oh yes my FAL was 10lbs without the mag
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:47:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Well, for them to be able to maintian FA controllability, they may only need to beef up barrel mass and a whatever the recriprocating buffer weight is that attaches to the action spring and the carrier.  I mean they can't be expecting to be giving it a new heavy ass carrier that is different from the one for the 5.56 ammo b/c they are trying to maintain 90% parts interchangability.  I think the only parts that are different are the bolt, barrel, and lower reciever.  Everything else is the same except for the size of the ejection port (which is silly, they mayas well just make an oversized port on the 5.56 upper receivers).  Of course I bet they might have to change the operating spring too eventually.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:13:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Some guys can wait for 1-1.5 years. We're under constant attack in IL.

Hopefully, the AWB won't pass here and we can get Gov. Dipshit out of office by the time the SCAR hits the market.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:59:34 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
'Internet rumor' has it that the ARM-H is reportedly too light for FA controllability.

Tell me a shoulder fired magazine fed .308 rifle that isn't too light for controlled FA fire...
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:18:51 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
'Internet rumor' has it that the ARM-H is reportedly too light for FA controllability.

Tell me a shoulder fired magazine fed .308 rifle that isn't too light for controlled FA fire...

You'll get no argument from me there; just relaying the info.  If true, I suspect the bbl. & carrier will gain some weight; spring would then have to as well.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:29:18 AM EDT
[#17]
who the Fk really wants to shoot their 20rds of 308 full auto anyway???  Nobody.  It is not for that.  

If they insist on makig the thing all friggin heavy, I'll have the barrel turned down like a mfr.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:51:02 PM EDT
[#18]
I would not want to shoot a lot from a 7.62x51mm gun that weighs much less than 7-7.5lbs...that would get tiring quick.

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:15:00 PM EDT
[#19]
since the folding stock is not have an actiion return sping in it, one coud rig somsort of intertial dampening buffer weight & sping scheme inside.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:38:02 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
'Internet rumor' has it that the ARM-H is reportedly too light for FA controllability, such that it's going get beefed up.  As for the 1.5-2 yr wait, odds are, if it can't make it to market @ respectable volume w/in at least 6-12 months, prior to the next federal election cycle, & the country takes a nasty political turn, FN might miss the profit boat.  OTOH, FN might be intentionally overestimating the timeline to keep a lid on expectations.

And that matters how?  No one in the civilian market will be firing F/A and as such, controloability in F/A fire is not a significant concern.  For the civilian market, lighter weight is more important than controloability in F/A.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 11:35:31 AM EDT
[#21]
The FN SCAR-H is advertised @ 8.5 lbs. (empty)

LINK

That may have changed in the follow up revisions made, but unlikely by much
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:25:19 AM EDT
[#22]
do you know how old that spec sheet is?   trust me its not 8.5 lbs   the rifle weights 7lbs I held and fondled it at shot show
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:17:00 PM EDT
[#23]
how long was the barrel on the one you handled at the shot show???

It is n't a big deal though guys, if you want it lighter, you can have the barrel turned down.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:20:55 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And that matters how?  No one in the civilian market will be firing F/A and as such, controloability in F/A fire is not a significant concern.  For the civilian market, lighter weight is more important than controloability in F/A.

Since it was procured specifically for a military progam, I doubt FN gives a damn what a civilian ciollector/enthusiast/plinker thinks of its weight.  If military feedback dictates that it gets heavier, then it gets heavier.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:37:02 PM EDT
[#25]
I just read in one of those mil/le gun magazines that DSA came out w/ a 8 1/4lb FAL carbine.  That is pretty impressive for a FAL.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top