Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2006 9:38:24 AM EDT
What do you think of it?  I bought it for 349$ for plinking, and I wanted another calber to handload for.  
Thanks for any info
Icon
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:54:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I can't be exactly sure but I could have swore that I read that the Rem. 710 is the worst product remington ever made.  I know it sounds a bit harsh but I think that's the model everyone was talking about.  Something about not being able to hold a decent zero...
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:17:41 AM EDT
[#2]
it was my first firearm--i sold it recently

its an ok gun that will work

the bolt/action leaves something to be desired--needs to be smoother imo  (my biggest complaint)
and i dont like the closed top of the action as it makes extracting stuck casings a more PITA

the stock sucks-just a cheapo plastic bedding

recoil is noticibly there compared to other 30-06s

h/w, they are very dang accurate as a stock gun imo (i had a 4 shot group once at 100yrds in less than the diameter of a quater--only problem was that my scope was 2 ft to the right and 1.5ft too low)

trigger is pretty ok

h/w, if i had to do it again, i would have just stuck to the origional Rem 700
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:33:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I would avoid them like the plague.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:35:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I think it's made by the same company that makes Super Soakers under contract to Remington.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:52:41 PM EDT
[#5]
From what I have heard they are a decent gun to have as a "Beater" type gun.  Not superbly accurate, but generally reliable and not something that is going to break the first time you bump it against a tree or something.  It's not like you have to worry about scratching the fine wood finish.

FWIW I was thinking the same question and asked the same question here.  I went with the advice I got here and went with a 700 instead.  I got a very slightly used one for a very good price with a number of accesories already installed.  As a bonus, it already had a trigger job perforned by the guy who sold it to me.  He had it on layaway intending to buy it himself, so he did the trigger job with him self as the intended user.  He wound up oweing taxes, so he put it back on the shelf and I got it the next day.  

-K
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:58:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
What do you think of it?  I bought it for 349$ for plinking, and I wanted another calber to handload for.  
Thanks for any info
Icon

I WORK at REMINGTON and I can get  them for $179.00 ...THEY'RE JUNK!!!!!!!!!!
Takes 3 men and a small boy to lift the bolt on them.
We got  PALLETS of them back when they first came out.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:48:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the info, it is going to be about 3 weeks until I am able to shoot it, I will post then.
Icon
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:50:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Bought one on a whim, read reviews from 20+ people, sold it and got a Remi 1903A3 sporter a week later.

Been happy ever since.

Nice choice on caliber though.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:55:20 AM EDT
[#9]
I honstly dont know how they sell any of these damn things when you can get the Stevens 200 for under 200 if you shop.  amuch bettergun, for a better price. The 710 is straight up fugnasty.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:00:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Run away from the 710, save some more $$ and get a 700ADL
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:10:08 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Thanks for any info
Icon

I WORK at REMINGTON and I can get  them for $179.00 ...THEY'RE JUNK!!!!!!!!!!
Takes 3 men and a small boy to lift the bolt on them.
We got  PALLETS of them back when they first came out.

Dayum!  $179.00!  I'd buy a few for a price like that!  Junk or not.  You didn't pick any up BTW did you?

-K
Top Top