User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2006 8:38:49 AM EDT
$299, is this a decent gun or junk ?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:53:26 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I have one. Pretty decent. Finish comes pre worn and scratched just for you. Gun works pretty well. I have had over 2,000 rounds of Cheetah and about 300 rounds of Wolf through the gun. I had a few failure to feeds with the Ceetah, but that ammo was pretty bad. I re did the wood and took the blued finish off of the bolt and carrier. Most fun I have ever had with a $420 gun (With tax, wish I could have found it cheaper, but I wanted to hand inspect it) I also added a wire folding stock and a wooden pistol grip up front. Really fun gun and there are plenty of goodies out there to add and toy around with. I would rate, Decent, but not really good.
Not nearly as fun as my Bushmaster's but it is good enough.

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:03:22 AM EDT
[#2]
They can be both. It is really necessary to hand inspect. When they opened the mag wells on these rifles, some got really energetic with the grinders. I've handled some that have absolutely 0 magazine slop, and others that let the mag wiggle like crazy. If it's a high capacity model for $299, and the mag well is pretty tight, that's a good deal on a nice, entry-level Kalashnikov type rifle. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:41:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I saw one one mail call this morningThey were using it test an up armoured hummer.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:42:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I have one.  Decent gun for the money.  Make sure it's a hi-cap, not the single stack version.  Mine eats Wolf like candy.  And be sure to get a drum for it too.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:00:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have one.  Decent gun for the money.  Make sure it's a hi-cap, not the single stack version.  Mine eats Wolf like candy.  And be sure to get a drum for it too.

Meh, nothing a little dremel action can't fix.  That's what the CAI monkeys do anyway...
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:03:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:48:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I have one.  I paid $299 as well.
Works well.  Has some wicked trigger slap, but it shoots everytime.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:48:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I just got one a couple of weeks ago.  I've put a few hundred rounds through it so far and I love it.  I'm surprised how accurate it is (though I haven't gone out to 100yds yet).

I payed a lot more for mine ($400 out the door with full accessories, muzzle break and side folding stock).  Not the best trigger in the world but other than that, I have no complaints.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:50:07 PM EDT
[#9]
its a pretty ok price, expecially nowadays

its an AK that will work--its not that pretty, but it will work
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:50:20 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Ehhhh, hmmmmm.  Yes and no.  Its an AK so it will shoot everytime, unless you have a really crappy one.  However, these WASR's were mass produced by Romanians with bad eyesight, so they have alot of little issues.  Unless you do some serious work on one, its hard to take much pride in them.  When you buy a Colt AR or an Arsenal AK, you know you have a great/top shelf rifle.  Cant really say the same of a WASR.

IMO of course.

If possible, save up 200 dollars more, and buy at least a Vector, assuming of course you dont own any AKs, if you already got a good AK, then no harm in buying a WASR.  If you dont own an AK though, start out with a better AK then a WASR.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:34:24 AM EDT
[#11]
When the WASR 10 Hi-Caps first came out they were built fairly well.  About the same as the SAR series.  Better fitted then my SAR-1.  The last couple of gun shows i went to, the WASR-10s i saw had crooked sights and loose handguards.  I guess most of the AK cheapie market is left with the dregs.  Other then popping off surplus ammo i would steer clear.  Hunt for a Vector or Bulgarian Arsenal AK.

The WASR-10 with the shitty plastic folding stock just screams "Redneck Commando".  They should come with a complimentary case of Budwieser and wife beater t-shirt.   If this rifle had a commercial for it.  It would be really loud like those annoying car commercials.

I dont regret ditching the SAR-1.  After picking up and holding a Bulgarian Arsenal SA-7 or whatever the hell model #.  I dont think i could fork over money for a Romanian crap gun or any other CAI abomination.  Not unless it was put together by an actual AK smith anyway.  The Arsenal is built like a brick shit-house.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:29:40 PM EDT
[#12]
For the money it's a great AK.  It really needed to be cleaned up before use however, there was hardened cosmoline everwhere.  A good website is http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/me.htm, it explains how to take the bolt apart, install the sling, everything you need to know.  After I took it completely apart and cleaned  it up, the WASR  grouped about three inches at 100 yards.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:41:58 PM EDT
[#13]
For the price you can't beat em' with a stick! BUT be sure the front sight post and gas block isn't canted all over the place....I've seen some that are just laughable....
I have one.  I love shooting the crap out of it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:44:40 PM EDT
[#14]
I have one and shoot the crap out of it as well.  It is fine.  Just look it over before you buy.

Max
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top