Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2006 9:36:35 AM EDT
For those who have shot both (I have only shot a 3 burst/ Auto MP5) which do you prefer. Are they very similar in feel?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:00:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I liked the MP5SD a lot more. Smoother, smaller....although the AR has controls I am familiar with.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:24:09 AM EDT
[#2]
The MP5 wins over the Colt 9mm series anyday.  More compact, more accurate, more controllable, better trigger options (full, semi and true 3rd/2rb).  Ease of cleaning and suppression.  And coolness factor.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:27:29 AM EDT
[#3]
MP5 by a wide margin. Totally different feel.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:17:07 AM EDT
[#4]
the Mp5 should be the better weapon as it was originally designed for the 9mm/ submachine gun role

but i have gotten so used to the AR platform that i would Take a Comando/9mm over an Mp5 anyday

am i saying that it is better no, just that i am more comfortable with it and ultimently would contribute to it being a better weapon for me

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:21:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:24:17 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
MP5 by a wide margin. Totally different feel.

Yep, honestly an MP-5 feels like it was designed by angelsI've never handled a carbine with better balance.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:39:25 AM EDT
[#7]
MP5 without a doubt.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:50:11 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
the Mp5 should be the better weapon as it was originally designed for the 9mm/ submachine gun role

+1

But don't discount the Tec-9!!!
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:52:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Another for the MP5 series.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:57:58 AM EDT
[#10]
MP5 to ME has a better feel and quicker target site
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 12:02:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Rented both at once last year... While I liked the 9mm AR, I loved the ergos and sights of the MP5.

Just about a perfect subgun IMHO.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 12:02:20 PM EDT
[#12]
<------------
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 12:13:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Poll needed
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 12:40:05 PM EDT
[#14]
I rented them both in Vegas this summer and I liked the MP5 by far.  It kicked far less and pointed very naturally for me.  It was very easy to keep tight groups even on full auto.  At 25 yds it was very easy to keep a whole mag in the face of Osama on full.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 12:46:30 PM EDT
[#15]
I believe the MP5 is superior, but I opted for the M16/9.  I am more familiar with the M16 controls and ergos.

I LOVE the MP5, but it would have been a whole new system to learn {cleaning, maintenance, etc}.

Parts are a might bit expensive too.

I'm sure I'll get one someday, but I went with another M16 instead.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:08:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Artillery model Schnellfeuer.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:47:07 PM EDT
[#17]
+1 for the MP5 .
Not even a close call .
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:34:24 PM EDT
[#18]
The MP5 cost double that of a AR, that is why some LE agencies are using the COlt 9mm.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:51:08 PM EDT
[#19]
I'll be the dark horse here.

I have had both an HK94 (with the 16" barrel) and a 9mm AR.  I currently only have the AR.

Maybe it was just the long barrel throwing things off, but I presonally disliked the balance, the ergonomics, and the sights on the HK.  I found both the selector and the mag release button to be awkward as they required a shift in my grip to reach. I also seriously disliked the mag changes and lack of BHO on the HK weapon. The AR simply felt more "natural" to me.  For the record I owned AR's prior to both 9mm's, so that may also have biased my opinion.  

But most of all, very, very much most of all I HATED cleaning that thing.  If you think an AR pukes itself when firing, then be prepared to clean a weapon taht pukes and shits itself.  I am honestly convinced that the receiver and roller locking mechanism was designed by German Devils.  The 9mm AR is a piece of cake to clean comparatively.  I might also point out that replacement parts for the HK are nowhere near as available or as reasonably priced as the AR, not to mention accessories (although HK mags have come way down in price since I owned one three years ago).  

Admittedly the AR was adapted so looks  a bit "frankestienish" but beyond that I eprsonally found it had more advantages than flaws over the HK design.  I have not had the priveledge of using "go fun" switches or SBRs so that may also wiegh into other people's opinions, but from my lmited perspective the 9mm AR is a better weapon.

Dawg

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:55:24 PM EDT
[#20]
with cost not an option here is my .02c

for me it comes down to suppressed or unsupressed. although a dated design the SD supressor is pretty good for its age. it adds enough weight to to give the weapon a slightly muzzle heavy but still balanced feel which works well with the official HK training doctrine of shooting against the extended sling. the collapsed stock being closer to the reciever than the AR aids in a smooth sidearm transition. maybe its just me but im quicker on the transition with the HK. i like the drum rear sight and the sight picture and i like the trigger. when set on FA it is easy to learn to do double taps and 3rd bursts (a requirement when i qual'ed on it) i have never been able to do this with 100% confidence with a 9mm AR.

cons:
  the MP5 requires training specific to the weapon. ergonomics and controls are different and immediate action and remedial action are both different. this isnt a huge deal but its something that needs to be trained for. if we are talking a comparison of the two platforms unsupressed i guess it doesnt really matter and the the AR would have an advantage with muscle memory. but if you have to have that size weapon with the rearward protruding buffer tube why not just shoot 5.56?

i think the ultimate set up would be a intregally supressed, ZM type upper in 9mm with a folding or collapsing stock. best of both worlds
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:04:01 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

But don't discount the Tec-9!!!

It shoots 87!MOA!
Seriously though MP5 is far better.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:49:59 AM EDT
[#22]
I owned a RDIAS at 1 time many yrs ago, and it was mated with a Colt 9mm set up as a Model 635 clone.  I've shot MP-5's in the military a bunch, all models...K's, SD's, etc.  While it has it's features and such, in my personal opinion after owning 1 for several yrs and shooting thousands of rds thru it with no problems, I still like the 9mm AR.  What makes it desireable is that it is the same as M-16's that everybody is familiar with, mag changes are quick, all kinds of bells and whistles can be added on fairly easy, and parts aren't that hard to find or as expensive as the HK stuff is.  Even thought the SD model is sweet to shoot, at 1 time  Gemtech(I believe that is right) made what they called the Talon SD suppressed upper for the Colt 9mm.  Supposedly just as quiet as a MP5SD, it was a nice looking upper.  Hope this helps muddy the waters just a bit more!!
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:42:12 AM EDT
[#23]
An MP5 has the flapper mag.  It's easy to change.  The lack of  BHO is to facilitate 1 method of changing mags and stoppages.

The MP5 wins everyday.  I've shot the 9mm AR, while cute, nothing to even compare.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:04:56 PM EDT
[#24]
don't mean to hijack the thread but i've wondering something.  When you get an NFA mp5 do you have to pay the $200 for full auto and another $200 for SBR? I've been wondering since I got to shoot one.

I like both. I wouldn't compare the 2 but both feel nice in my hands.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:22:39 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I have had both an HK94 (with the 16" barrel) and a 9mm AR.  I currently only have the AR.

Maybe it was just the long barrel throwing things off, but I presonally disliked the balance, the ergonomics, and the sights on the HK.  I found both the selector and the mag release button to be awkward as they required a shift in my grip to reach. I also seriously disliked the mag changes and lack of BHO on the HK weapon. The AR simply felt more "natural" to me.  For the record I owned AR's prior to both 9mm's, so that may also have biased my opinion.  

But most of all, very, very much most of all I HATED cleaning that thing.  If you think an AR pukes itself when firing, then be prepared to clean a weapon taht pukes and shits itself.  I am honestly convinced that the receiver and roller locking mechanism was designed by German Devils.  The 9mm AR is a piece of cake to clean comparatively.  I might also point out that replacement parts for the HK are nowhere near as available or as reasonably priced as the AR, not to mention accessories (although HK mags have come way down in price since I owned one three years ago).  

Admittedly the AR was adapted so looks  a bit "frankestienish" but beyond that I eprsonally found it had more advantages than flaws over the HK design.  I have not had the priveledge of using "go fun" switches or SBRs so that may also wiegh into other people's opinions, but from my lmited perspective the 9mm AR is a better weapon.

Dawg

An HK94 is not comparable to a MP5.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:04:23 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dawg

An HK94 is not comparable to a MP5.

I will agree an HK94 is not an MP5.  

However,  if you remove the barrel length/balance issue and the lack of a "go fun" switch, you will still find that my personal issues would be the same with both an HK94 and an MP5- poor ergonomics (for me) and a pain to clean.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:15:18 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
don't mean to hijack the thread but i've wondering something.  When you get an NFA mp5 do you have to pay the $200 for full auto and another $200 for SBR? I've been wondering since I got to shoot one.

I like both. I wouldn't compare the 2 but both feel nice in my hands.

No, you just have to pay the $200 for the machine gun, if its full auto you can have a barrel under 16".  If you get an MP5 SD, you have to pay $200 for the machine gun and then another $200 for the supressor though, IIRC.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:48:49 PM EDT
[#28]
MP-5.

My few gripes about it are the position of the selector (I have gorilla hands, and even I have to change my grip to move it), and the lack of bolt hold open for last shot.

We are trading our MP's for Colt Commandos as soon as they come in (we ordered them about 7 months ago).  Kind of sad to see the MP's go, even though I really didn't shoot them that often.  They just kinda used to be the tac team icon weapon.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:13:12 PM EDT
[#29]
MP5 no doubt at all.  I absolutely love that weapon.  I was issued the MP5/40 with the bolt hold open and it was awesome.  We still use them for training and messing around but now we are issued the FN P-90.  

I owned an AR-15 that I outfitted with a 9mm upper and it ran nice but it does not compare to the MP5.  I have an M16, M4 and a P-90 and if the SHTF you know where I'll be... back at the armory dusting off my trusty MP5 for battle.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:46:05 AM EDT
[#30]
I agree on the Mp5. I use a clone for 3gun and it is great to use. I have used m16s, ar15s, and the like but I can say that if you have the manual of arms down with the AR there isnt a problem with the MP5. Mag changes are close enough not to slow you down any and the selector switch is right about at the same place. The grip angle isnt very different and if you have ever changed grips on your AR and didnt notice any problems in using it afterwards then there shouldnt be any problem with the mp5. The sites are different but since most people use optics now that shouldnt be an issue either. Most people dont even know how to properly use the sites on an AR so there really isnt an issue with that either.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:42:08 PM EDT
[#31]
I carried an MP for about 2 years.  Alot of the high points have been spoken and it was a great weapon for its niche.  With that said, there were a couple cons I found.  The fire control selector was in a bad spot as compared to the M16s.  Not too bad once figured out how to quickley manipulate it:  training issue.  

The other fault, not the gun's as much as the company- spare parts and repair.  PITA.  My gun was made in 1989 and started to show it's age in the last few months I carried it.  The roller pin holder was guaranteed to snap after a good range session.  It had that many rounds through it and needed to be retired.

Rocking mags in, no bolt hold open.

That's about all the gripes I had, and most of those could be handled by experience and training.  

It had a good balance to it and a good trigger- with enough rounds down the tube, you could about sing a song.  Very controllable with multi round bursts.  

As for the M16/9, if one know the manual of arms for that family no problem.  I wasn't too fond of the one I played with, but still wouldn't turn it down.  Trigger was a tad stiffer.

Comparison- MP is a Rolls while the M16 was a Caddy.  

The MP was easier to suppress (SD) and more compact when it was.  The downside to the SD is that it gets DIRTY.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top