Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2006 7:41:23 AM EDT
Could a stock set such as this:

www.ironwooddesigns.com/AK%20pics/AKWAL2.JPG

Be stained in a black shade?   Not just solid black but somehow where the grain would show up?  Anyone have a pic or done something along the lines of my crazy idea?

R
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:46:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Have the same walnut Ironwood kit on my AK, unfortunately being a wood lover I simply used about 20 coats of tung-oil on mine, (sanding between each coat).

It's beauty.

Mike

ps - sorry can't help ya ruin that potential wood art.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:16:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:05:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Check out the ebony stain from Minwax at Lowes, that might be what you are looking for.  If not they can custom match a stain off of a black paint chip, you would still be able to see the grain as long as you prepped it right, then follow up with a clear polyurethane in a matte or satin.  I think it would look pretty good.   I made a custom mix of neon blue stain just to see what it would look like on a piece of furniture and it turned out pretty sweet.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:45:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Go to a paint store and ask for a black dye stain, or go online and google dye stain.  Dye stains are easy to use and available in colors other than wood tone.  Varnish as normal.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 2:09:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I've used Minwax Ebony and black leather dye with good results...

www.minwax.com/products/woodstain/woodfinish-color.cfm
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:39:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Ok I'll look into the dyes.  If the grain was just visible up close I would be stoked about that.  I just wanted to do something different but not plastic.

What would "show up" better a laminated stock or the walnut?

www.ironwooddesigns.com/2aprod/1zAKproduct.html

Is it just a matter of sanding the wood smooth, dyeing it, then using a clear over that??

Homer Formby I'm not!  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top