Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2005 1:51:21 PM EDT
I have narrowed my next purchase down to either a HK G3/91 clone (JLD) or a FAL and I am looking for specific input to help me decide.

Some questions that come to mind are:

Which is more reliable?

For which choice are spare parts more available/inexpensive?

Which is easier to maintain/clean?

Is chrome barrel/chamber a deciding factor?

TIA for helping a newbie trying to move to the 7.62 side.

Seydou

ETA chrome question.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 2:37:52 PM EDT
[#1]
An FAL would be your choice IMHO
parts are plentiful, and inexpensive.
And DSA is making FALs new.
A G3 type battle rifle has advantages,
but none surpassing that of an FAL.

Boston's Guns Bible   is worthy
of your purchase, and will answer all of
your questions [in detail].
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:58:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Boston's Gun Bible is a good educational read,but it's out of date.

Much of the info from there is based on a time when quality HK-91
clones were not being produced except by custom builders that built
one rifle at a time.
JLD has changed that situation .

Most people here are going to recommend the FAL,it was succesfully cloned by
US manufacturers well before HKs were.
Both firearms have there plusses and minuses.

After my experiences with the M1A ,a Belgian FAL ,and an original
German built HK-91 ,I decided the HK-91 was the rifle for me.

Here's some info to think about .

PTR -91-Lacks a last shot bolt open device.FAL has it.
This is usually considered the #1 deficiency of the HK rifles.
AK-47s don't have them either,also many countries that used the FAL
had this feature disabled because it can fail.

Standard barrel of the HK/PTR is 18 inches.
The FAL barrel is longer ,I think it's 21 inches.
Longer barrel=higher velocity bullet for less bullet drop .
Shorter barrel =more compact design

FALs come in both Metric and inch pattern receivers and parts.
These parts are often incompatable,as well as the mags.
HK parts are HK parts.

Many will say the FAL is more accurate,but no succesful sniper
variant of the FAL was produced.
HK-91s were later turned into several very succesful sniper designs,
several of which are produced to this day.
SG-1,PSG-1 ,MSG-90 are the ones I know of.

Currently excellant condition mags for HKs can be found for as little as
$1 (one dollar) a piece.

FALs are very dependable,but the delayed blowback system of the HKs
is one of the most dependable ever made.
HKs will eat ammo that chokes FALs or M1As ,in severe conditions.

Inherantly ,HKs become quite dirty when used ,and require more
cleaning to properly clean the internal barrel flutes.
FALs are much easier to clean .

Last on my list ,the one thing that won me on HKs.
FALs loose accuracy quickly after intense rapid fire,as
do all weapons.This is also a weakness of the M1A.
HK series firearms do not loose near the accuracy after rapid fire
because of the fluted barrels.
They cool of much quicker and maintain there accuracy more after
rapid firing.

Both have their good and bad points.
Ergonomics are also a preferance to consider,one that requires
you to handle these weapons for yourself.

I'm completely happy with my PTR-91 .
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:23:08 PM EDT
[#3]
FAL and dont look back
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 11:22:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I own both a DSA FAL and a HK91(JLD PTR) and I would go with the HK clone(JLD PTR) as it is more reliable then the FAL. I feel that the HK is also easier to clean with less parts.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:33:48 AM EDT
[#5]
PTR here,, less to go wrong,parts wise.
sides that they are pretty equal in terms of  ammo/mag/parts/size/wieght ect.
chevy vs ford thats fer sure!
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 12:19:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the feedback, although I am suprised no one posted "get both" yet.

From what I have found the basic JLD is about $200-250 cheaper than the basic DSA.  This is definitely a point in the JLD column.  Although I think I would like to put a wide forearm on it which is another ~$75?  Just do not like the way the narrow one feels.

Thanks again and any additional comments would be welcome.

Seydou
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 12:59:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I have not owned, shot, or even held either gun.  Keeping that in mind, I would get the DSA FAL.  No reason, just like it better.

But then again, the JLD seems like a nice piece and it would go better with my USP....hmmmm.

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 1:03:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd vote for the FN.  I've always liked them better than the HK.  Be it a Para model or the full-size.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:32:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I own a "clone" of both the hk and the fal. In my experience, there is only one way that the fal is better than the HK and that is "ergonomically". The HK is more accurate, just as reliable, just as easy to clean (easier really, since there is no gas system), the price is right, parts (at the moment) are very easy to come by and cheap, and magazines for the HK are even cheaper than for the FAL right now (can't beat that tapco $50 for 50 mags deal).

Go for the HK... or better yet, buy both.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:08:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I've owned a HK91 for 25 years, FNs have come and gone has has one M!A. The HK is like the energizer rabbit it just keeps going and going.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:44:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't know the answer to this question either. Both are reliable, the FAL has the bolt open on last shot feature and the G3 has better sights. I like the G3s "modular" style butstock that can be changed to suit in seconds; but I have a long history with the FAL, and I really like it's gas system. I've heard the G3 has a somewhat sharper recoil, but I've no experience myself with the rifle. In the end I'll buy both, I'm looking for a good deal on a PTR now. I've already got the FAL.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:50:34 PM EDT
[#12]
<---     One more for a JLD.

Mine has been flawless  . . . . . . .
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:13:21 AM EDT
[#13]
I like both. Both are good MBR's. Main Battle Rifles.  I own both. A G3 kit built on a JLD receiver. I persoally think the G3 /HK91 is a more reliable rifle .It is slightly more accurate. To clean it take a few more minuets. No biggie. I personally can't switch the selector on my G3. Thumb to dern short I guess. But both are hardy rifles. Get both. But get the  HK91 clone first. But buy quality in any rifle you purchase. Don't do a century thing. Good luck WarDawg
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:21:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Life is tough, ie trying to decide which fish spot to go fishing in today.

Of the 308Win/7.62NATO MBRs, the G3/HK91, FAL, M14-types are the most popular.  Not to mention the AR15-types(Bushmaster, they're discontinuing production), Armalite, KAC etc.  Can't go wrong with any of the top names.  It's the lower end stuff that has problems.

If you're interested in a G3/HK91 go with JLD, for FAL go with DSA, for M14 go with LRB.  Admitted, these rifles are not cheap, but quality does cost money, and life is too short to be struggling with FTE/FTFs.

And for a word for our sponsor: Armalite has some real decent 308Win/7.62NATO AR15 pattern guns, but they use specailly converted M14 mags and real USGI mags are relatively expensive.  Using non-USGI will increase your cost for mags tremendously.  From what I understand you can use the less expensive Tiawan M14 mags.  Mags for the others are fairly cheap.

Parts for all of the big 3 MBRs are fairly easy to get and plentiful.

I would get the chrome-line chamber/barrels if they are available.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:45:42 AM EDT
[#15]
+1 on the HK91.   I have an HK91 that has never let me down.  I got a 1st place in a local 3 gun match, Heavy Metal class with it.

G45
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 11:46:06 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a G3 clone that I'll sell you.  It was built by ORF and runs great.

I want a 1919a4 so it has to go.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:35:25 AM EDT
[#17]
FAL for me, please...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:13:01 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a G 3 clone that I have had for many years and I really just don't like it all that much.  I have even tryed to like it, but it just hasn't grown on me.  I'm 5'8' 160 lbs and it is just a monster because it is so long.  FAL rifles have better ergonomics, bolt hold open, and mag changes seem to be quicker and easer overall because of the milled reciever.  HK 91/G 3  just don't  have the ergonomics, and no BHO.  Go with a FAL carbine, you will love it.  Shit, go all the way and get a folding para with 16" bbl.  Just my 2 cents..  HK's are cool, just get one later.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 1:18:22 AM EDT
[#19]
FAL vote from me.  But you can't go wrong with an HK clone or M14 copy either.  Try them all if you can and see what you like best.  All of them have gone to war and did just fine.   As long as they are all built by a reputable company you should be satisfied.  Is that diplomatic or what???
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:00:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Get the DSA FAL, very good quality over the HK clone which can be chancy. Plus with FAL part kits drying up, it is the better choice.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:06:58 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
FAL for me, please...

- georgestrings

Me too please!
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:11:11 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
FAL for me, please...

- georgestrings

Me too please!

Hey, great minds often think alike....

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:16:23 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I've heard the G3 has a somewhat sharper recoil, but I've no experience myself with the rifle.

Ya know, I've heard several people say that, but I own both and for the life of me I can't see what they're talking about. My G3 clone doesn't feel any different, recoil wise, from my L1A1 clone. I've heard a couple of people suggest that some of the buffers (in the stock assembly) on the HK's might be more effective/worn than others, but I've tried two different stocks on mine, and can't tell any difference. All that being said, I guess I'm just not a very "sensitive" kinda guy when it comes to recoil. 50BMG has "recoil". 308 just isn't a big deal. YMMV, of course.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top