Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2005 11:46:24 AM EDT
I have a stainless gun I want done in a flat black. It has to not chip, flake, scratch easily, provide some lubricity and be solvent/oil resistant/proof.....

Well, what are my best options?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:47:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Roguard

www.robarguns.com/DesktopDefault.aspx

I personally prefer NP3, but you specified flat black.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:51:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, darn, you just had to go and specify black.  I was going to say Tripp Cobra Chrome, but that of course is silver.  MJD
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:09:30 PM EDT
[#3]
btt
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:12:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Black T? Hard chrome + Krylon?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:45:15 PM EDT
[#5]
here

By far the best I've seen.  Cerakote (Ironarmor) has out lasted and out performed anything I've seen.

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:01:53 AM EDT
[#6]
DuraCoat is the easiest if you want to do it yourself.  I have had no issues with the 5 guns I have that are DuraCoated.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:37:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:25:17 PM EDT
[#8]
NP3 hands down the best finish...sent in my Sig 220 it looks awesome
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:44:20 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Black T?

It gets my vote. I could have had my rifle refinished with any type finish I wanted, and I chose Walter's Black T.

WE Birdsong & Associates
1435 Monterey Road
Florence, MS 39073
(601)-939-7448
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:25:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Black T is a pretty soft finish. Easily scratched.

I use Brownells Teflon/Moly. It sprays on with an airbrush and cures in the oven. I've used it with good results.
Others have had good results with Alumihyde, I've never tried it though.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:33:18 AM EDT
[#11]
What about the titanium-nitride finishes? Very hard (about as hard as chrome), black, and rust resistant. Or boron carbide.  About the same, but in other color varieties.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:00:08 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
What about the titanium-nitride finishes? Very hard (about as hard as chrome), black, and rust resistant. Or boron carbide.  About the same, but in other color varieties.

Who does those?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:27:56 AM EDT
[#13]
I've had three rifles teflon coated by www.blackicecoatings.com/.  I love it.  I've scratched my hunting rifle a time or two, but when you ride around with it slung over your shoulder while riding a 4-wheeler through the woods, it's going to happen.

I don't have to oil it anymore, because the teflon does all the lubricating, besides, oil won't stick to it anyway.  The parts a cinch to clean, just like a teflon skillet, just wipe them with a dry rag or dry brush and you're done.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:23:41 AM EDT
[#14]
I had my Desert Eagle re-done with something called Diamondkote it came out great, the guys who did it are fantastic also.  www.mrarms.com
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:39:42 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I had my Desert Eagle re-done with something called Diamondkote it came out great, the guys who did it are fantastic also.  www.mrarms.com

How has yours held up?  The co. claims this Diamondkote can w/stand exposure to HCl.  That's a pretty tall order.  I wonder what conditions that particular test was performed under.

So far, it would seem that most durable finish is either CeraKote or Diamondkote, depending on the actual story.

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:33:24 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How has yours held up?  The co. claims this Diamondkote can w/stand exposure to HCl.  That's a pretty tall order.  I wonder what conditions that particular test was performed under.

So far, it would seem that most durable finish is either CeraKote or Diamondkote, depending on the actual story.

I could not be happier with the way it has held up.  I shoot this pig alot and it still looks brand new.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:20:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 11:24:45 AM EDT
[#18]
I just did a little informal "research", & am finding that the hardness of ceramic-based coatings makes them less than ideal for parts where there is surface-to-surface contact.  This seems to be primarily because the extreme hardness results in surface galling due to the contact-friction, & apparently requires sufficient clearance to mitigate.

enforcer22 - what are your experiences in this regard?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:42:36 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I just did a little informal "research", & am finding that the hardness of ceramic-based coatings makes them less than ideal for parts where there is surface-to-surface contact.  This seems to be primarily because the extreme hardness results in surface galling due to the contact-friction, & apparently requires sufficient clearance to mitigate.

enforcer22 - what are your experiences in this regard?

Bump.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top