Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2005 4:05:23 PM EDT
I am renting a table with a neighbor for a local gun show next weekend. Both he and I are looking to see those long guns we haven't used in some time. I was also going to sell a few handguns. In my state you only need a purchase permit to sell to someone else if they are a resident of my state. I was looking for a few pointers from those of you who have done this before. My neighbor is quite exerienced with the particular show we are doing but other experienced input is always good.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 9:18:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Be nice to people.  Smile.  Say hello.  Do not sit there the entire weekend talking to your friend, table neighbor etc.  Do not act like you're selling gold plated one of a kind collector items.  Be reasonable on your prices.  Don't glare at people who want to pick up the stuff you're selling.  Its their money you're after.  

Far to often I've seen guys set up tables at shows and go home with the same stuff they brought in.  You're there to SELL stuff.  You have to be nice to the CUSTOMERS or they won't give you their MONEY.

Link Posted: 12/11/2005 12:01:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Wear some Old BDUs & start every sentence with " I was a former SEAL..."
Make sure the beanie's are clean & well displayed.
pkg. all the jerky before hand,& Be sure to mark the "Hot" & "mild".
Mark up all the longguns 100%.
Take this advise & you'll fit in along with the rest of the dealers.
Just be yourself,Have fun & Best wishes.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 12:12:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Stand
Smile
Do not fold your arms. In fact, stand back and look relaxed.
Say "let me know if you have any questions" as an introduction.
Make sure that prices are prominently displayed for the cruisers.
Let people touch.  Bring a rag to wipe down guns.
When someone low balls you on a price, your answer should be either a counter or maybe later.

Be prepared to meet the most diverse group of people in the world.  That is wackos, good ole boys, urban professionals, church people, and the shady/sleazy element.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 2:35:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Where are you going to be? Mason? I'll have to finger all your toys and lowball you on all your junk. Jus kidding, but if it's there [usually a decent show this time of year] just look for the guy with the M1A looking for a nice GI stock.

And really, if your prices are fair, and you are polite and don't act an ass you will do fine. Don't sit in a chair and grunt occasionally as a customer looks your merchandise over. Ask them if you can show them anything. Be prepared to have your toys finger------ and just wipe them down with a treated rag. Have all your stuff clean and presentable, dirty cruddy crap is a turnoff to woman and this time of year it's surprising how many GOOD woman are looking for gun stuff for their hubby for Christmas. Walk the show and get a picture of what the prices are the first day, decide if you want to sell or hold them. Experienced showgoers will check most tables for prices before buying, even 10 bucks makes a difference. And all the other tables will pull the same game on you.

If you are going to Mason what ya selling? If it's something I will be interested in I'll look ya up.

And for the pistols, offer someone with a FFL 10 or 15  bucks to run a NICS and Permit. I have a CCW and I don't get permits as I do not need them to buy a pistol. A LOT of guys will be  in the same boat. If ya put in some of what you might take some of us MI guys might gat a PP and save your butt the trouble of dealing with some of the dealers who can be attitudinally challenged by non dealers selling at "their" show.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 6:14:07 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Far to often I've seen guys set up tables at shows and go home with the same stuff they brought in.  You're there to SELL stuff.  You have to be nice to the CUSTOMERS or they won't give you their MONEY.

Whoa there, buddy.  Take your crazy newfangled ideas back to Commieland.  Don't you know that just ain't the way things are done at gun shows?  You must be one o' them-thar innernet dudes who thinks he's too good to pay $1500 for a postban Colt AR.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:42:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Just be cool buddy and price them for what you want out of them.  Probably depends on how motivated of a seller you are as to whether or not you sell much.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:13:32 PM EDT
[#7]
My biggest advice and this is my personal opinion when going to a gun show.  DISPLAY YOUR PRICE.  Why?  Cause my biggest gripe is when a dealer doesnt want to display the price.  He wants to get you into the sell talk.  

Be yourself.  Price them within reason.  Definately be friendly.  Most people arent even interested in buying it, but rather ask questions.  However you never know when that one person asking questions is really interested in buying.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:03:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Thank you all for your words of wisdom and advice on conduct and proper edicut when selling at the show I just particpated in, Mason,MI. All in all it  had a good turn out and plenty of enthusiastic buyers. It was interesting to be on the "otherside of the table". Like always some good deals were to be found and others to pass by. I was tempted to pick up a Glock 17 NIB for only $429.00!. Problem is I have a 34 & 26 and am on the hunt for a
used G-30. I sold out all but one of my long guns in the three days and on the third decided to bring in my "Collection" of holsters. One of the pitfalls of having your CCW is the amount of holsters you go thru whentrying to find the right one. I was calling the section of my table " an example of temporary insanity" WHen I paired the holsters up with the sidearms I ve had it got pretty scary!. Alot of good deals could be found on lightly used black rifles. It relly made me think about going the way of building my own on the next go around vs. an out of the box purchase.

In closing I will say the diversity of people in appearence and personality I saw and met was massive!. I guess it's like everything else, you have gun owners...and then there's everyone else.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:36:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Mark everything up 500% and tell everybody that all your guns are "Pre-ban" and worth more money. Do not include any magazines with any of your guns as that would be cutting into your profit margin, make sure you sell the magazines seperatly, even if they came with the gun in the first place.

Display the beanie babies at the front of the table. Jewelry at the back. Knitting and artwork on the left, and finally cheap Chinese plastic toys on the right.

Make sure to wear BDU's and camo face paint, and get one of your 350 lb ultra tactical buddies to do the same and hang out with you. When anybody ask you why you are dressed like that, tell them its classified.

If they have questions about your guns, just look at them with a confused face and say very firmly "everything is sold as is, no refunds".

And finally, but not least, make sure to have the chili cheese fries and corn dog mustard spilled all over yours and your 350 lb buddies shirts. This conveys a very professional image.

Hope this helps. Have fun.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:53:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Mark everything up 500% and tell everybody that all your guns are "Pre-ban" and worth more money. Do not include any magazines with any of your guns as that would be cutting into your profit margin, make sure you sell the magazines seperatly, even if they came with the gun in the first place.

Display the beanie babies at the front of the table. Jewelry at the back. Knitting and artwork on the left, and finally cheap Chinese plastic toys on the right.

Make sure to wear BDU's and camo face paint, and get one of your 350 lb ultra tactical buddies to do the same and hang out with you. When anybody ask you why you are dressed like that, tell them its classified.

If they have questions about your guns, just look at them with a confused face and say very firmly "everything is sold as is, no refunds".

And finally, but not least, make sure to have the chili cheese fries and corn dog mustard spilled all over yours and your 350 lb buddies shirts. This conveys a very professional image.

Damn,,

do you set up tables in VA??
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:58:49 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn,,

do you set up tables in VA??

Nah, its just standard operating procedure.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top