Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2005 6:47:41 PM EDT
I am planning on purchasing a ruger mini 30. I want to get it and a nice supply of hi caps, a collapsable stock and a few other goodies.  My reason for wanting the gun in that i want a small well built carbine chambered in 7.62x39, but in an american made gun, not an sks or a ak.  The ammo is cheaper than 5.56 and i kinda alrady have enuff ar's.  Im just lookin for a new toy to play with.  Will the mini 30 function fine with imported surplus stuff??
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:42:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:43:21 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
IBTL.....if you know it's not AR related, post it in the correct forum.

+1 there's a general firearms discussion board.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:47:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I was actually hoping someone would direct me there,  thought id ask anyway.  I cheked the general discussion forum and kinda thought that i would get more feedback here tho.....   ill give it a shot
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:05:42 PM EDT
[#4]
nobody at all???  someone has to have some kinda info on this
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:07:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Did you say hicap mags and mini-30?

Hahahahaha good luck!

Get an AK buddy!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:08:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:12:40 PM EDT
[#7]
well most people in here have more than just ar's and ak's.  most popular handguns are covered.  I figured that someone here would have a little bit of info.  Obvious you couple of guys dont.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:39:53 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Will the mini 30 function fine with imported surplus stuff??

It will function fine, i had a mini 30 for a while and shot all kinds of ammo brands through it, mainly chinese, chinese ammo was plentiful back then, you mentioned you want something american made. There are several companies who make AK's here in the US, Arsenal being the best in my opinion, for about the same price as a mini 30 you can pick up a 100 times better rifle than the mini in my opinion by buying an arsenal ak, mags are cheap and it will run forever, probally will increase in value over time as well. Just my two cents. McM
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 1:52:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Please don't buy a Mini 30, they are garbage. High capacity magazines have always been a source of frustration in the Mini 30 world. Your only source of hicaps is aftermarket, usually junk, and even the "good ones" don't always work. For the sake of consistancy stick with 10 rounders.
You may encounter some 20's that work well, but you will probably have 1 good mag for 5 that suck. Mini 30's also have inferior accuracy and they are too much money for what the offer.
On paper, the Mini 30 seems to have a lot to offer, but in reality they are poor performers.
A cheap WASR from Century is a much better rifle than a Mini 30. Availibility of magazines is obviously much better and it offers much better accuracy compared to the Mini 30. A SKS with an integral 20 round magazine is also another consideration. If you do buy a Mini 30, I would bet you sell it in less than a year when you realize the only good magazines are the 5 rounders that came with it*only 5 rounds in a semi auto really sucks, unless its extremely accurate...which these arent* and that the best group you will achieve will be something like 5 inches....no kidding. You may do 4 with good ammo, if there is such a thing in this caliber. My advice would be to get a Vector AK underfolder with a few 30 round magazines and some Wolf ammo. You will have a much better weapon than a Mini 30. Check out www.perfectunion.com, this is the Ruger Mini equivalent to this site.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:46:47 AM EDT
[#10]
I don't know anything about this rifle, but it might be another option for you. www.gunblast.com/Doublestar-762x39.htm
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:47:47 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Please don't buy a Mini 30, they are garbage. High capacity magazines have always been a source of frustration in the Mini 30 world. Your only source of hicaps is aftermarket, usually junk, and even the "good ones" don't always work. For the sake of consistancy stick with 10 rounders.
You may encounter some 20's that work well, but you will probably have 1 good mag for 5 that suck. Mini 30's also have inferior accuracy and they are too much money for what the offer.
On paper, the Mini 30 seems to have a lot to offer, but in reality they are poor performers.
A cheap WASR from Century is a much better rifle than a Mini 30. Availibility of magazines is obviously much better and it offers much better accuracy compared to the Mini 30. A SKS with an integral 20 round magazine is also another consideration. If you do buy a Mini 30, I would bet you sell it in less than a year when you realize the only good magazines are the 5 rounders that came with it*only 5 rounds in a semi auto really sucks, unless its extremely accurate...which these arent* and that the best group you will achieve will be something like 5 inches....no kidding. You may do 4 with good ammo, if there is such a thing in this caliber. My advice would be to get a Vector AK underfolder with a few 30 round magazines and some Wolf ammo. You will have a much better weapon than a Mini 30. Check out www.perfectunion.com, this is the Ruger Mini equivalent to this site.

I agree 110% with Ryno. Don't do it!!!! My $75 chinese SKS out shot my Mini.

Hell get yourself a CMP M1 Garand. Cheaper than a new Mini and a hell of a better rifle.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:22:42 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

What he said....

- georgestrings
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top