Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2005 12:52:57 PM EDT
Hello,
I have a nice Russian SKS refurb that I wanted to get some better performance out of and to make it a winter project.I've had this rifle for many years and it is quite reliable.
I like the simple design and ruggedness of this rifle,but want to extend its range and accuracy,but I don't want to resort to taking it down to a .22 caliber bullet.

I also find that whenever the SKS or AKs are compared to the M16/AR15 that ergonomics,accuracy and range of effective fire is harped on.
It seems one thing that isn't harped on is it's abillity to actually KILL the emeny without having to punch 3 to 5 tiny .22 caliber holes in them! Proper shot placement and energy excused of course.

So,if I can build a semi auto that has better ergonomics and equals or surpasses the average combat M16 in accuracy,range and still be more effective on target what then?
I guess the AR crowd would have to come up with other reasons why my SKS is an inferior platform as I'm sure they will and they in fact may be valid,but I would still have a very unique,effective,medium range platform.

Therefore I have decided to go with a Adams and Bennett .243cal/6mm,S.S.,1:10 twist,button rifled barrel. The barrel length will be between 22" and 24".
I will most likely resize/neck up Lapua .220 Russia cases,or possibly
just cut the chamber for 6PPC if there is no problems with it macthing up to my bolt face.
The only really problem with Lapua 6PPC brass is the exspense.

I hope to hold consistant groups close to M.O.A. out to 500-600yds.
I will most likely be using bullets between 75gr and 95gr. with maybe 105gr A-max for Varmints/hogs.
If this can be achieved then I would consider it a great sucess.
Any and all comments welcome!
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 1:01:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Considering Russian SKS's aren't all that common and have pretty decent resale value---------Have you given any thought of getting one of the Jugo SKS's that go for pretty cheap (and have some pretty good workmanship) for the conversion?

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 1:58:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:56:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Yea, those ARE cool sights. A few guys on the SKS board has them and really like them.
I have had my SKS on and off since the mid 90s,when I bought it from a dealer at a show for $175.00.

A couple years later I was hard up for money and my brother inlaw bought it and had it for a few years(but rarely shot it)until I bought it back for what I sold it to him for.

I won't sell it again,so it's mine for life. It's a BBQ black refurb with,import markings, a #2 barrel and came with a laminated stock which I sold after I put on the Choate Dragunov
stock it wears now. I don't consider it collectable grade at all.

There are much nicer Russian SKS rifles out there if I wanted a collector piece,so moding this one doesn't bother me in the least. I also like the fact that I know it's reliable,functions as it should and is well built.

Your correct that this project will be somewhat exspensive due to the materials and labor,but it shouldn't be hard to do from a technical stand point. I'm sure any good smith with semi-auto experience would find it a pretty straight forward conversion.

Even at that it should still come in money wise under what I could buy a new plain jane AR15 for and I will have something much more unique and have superior ballistics to boot.

From the limited research I have done I have found that the case capacity favors the lighter and smaller 6mm/.243 bullets much better than the 7.62 caliber/weight bullets.
This without giving up as much on target effect as .22 caliber bullets at the velocities I am aiming for,which is in the 2,700 to 3,000 fps range.
It's a compromise just like most things in life,but a good happy medium I feel.

Thanks for your comments.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:45:13 AM EDT
[#4]
It sounds like a doable, but expensive, project.  Will the Adams and Bennet bbl have to have the OD turned down, and the gas port drilled, or are they coming in the SKS contour already?

I have built up some A&B barreled guns in the past and they shot well.

Balming
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:38:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Yea, the port will have to be drilled and the old block cut flatter and welded/secured to the new barrel. Or I may just have a larger redesigned S.S., block made that bolts to the barrel.

The new barrel will have to be turned down quite a bit untill it clears the shortened gas system I want to use. Then it will go back to it's origional contour for the rest of it's length.
That's why I want it to be made out of stainless and avoid heat treat/hardness problems.

The turning at the gas system area is why I may just go with the slimmer F54 contour barrel instead of the varmint contour.

I've read some good reviews on the S.S. Adams & Bennett barrels. That and along with their good price seems the best barrel option I have. The company does offer a slim light varmint/hunting style contour that's closer to the SKS profile,but I really want to try the larger contour(s) first.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 4:27:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Would 6.8 SPC work?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:43:55 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Would 6.8 SPC work?

It may work with the case,but a long S.S.,bull barrel would be hard to find. I doubt any barrel maker could match Adams & Bennett's price for an off the shelf .243 barrel.
If I went in that route I would go 6.5mm Swede or 7mm as there are off the shelf barrels for them.

Since a lot of the exspense will be in the machine work I have to be very reasonable when it comes to the hard parts. Therefore I can not afford to use a custom barrel,so off the shelf it is.

Maybe in time the 6.8 SPC will have the support that would make it more feasable.
What would really need to happen is for the bolt action builders/shooters to get on the 6.8 SPC bandwagon.

Then manufactures would follow the money and new products/support would be more available. Right now it just seems the 6.8 SPC is a "AR" round.
Maybe it will find it's way into more types of rifles in due time.
Who knows it may turn into the next .223 Remington?

Due to the velocities I want to achieve and pressure limitations I will have to deal with I think 6mm is the best compromise.
Also since the 6PPC is somewhat based off the 7.62X39 there is alot of support and load data for it.
Also because the .243 has been available for decades there are alot of very good bullets available.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top