Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2005 8:11:29 AM EDT
I have a G17. I seem to remember something about lead bullets causing problems in Glock barrels.
Does anyone have any info. on this?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:21:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Polygonal rifling retains lead.  Dont do it.

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:06:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Is it just the fact that it "retains" lead?
That should be not big deal as long as you use a lead remover such as Shooter's Choice or a Lewis lead removal system every 200-300 rounds. That would take care of any lead buildup, right?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:17:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I have always heard, and been told not to shoot anything without a jacket through a glock.
I shoot only full jacket ball ammo for target practice, and carry SJHP.

Dont tempt fate....I like my glock and i trust it, not one of those KB people, but im still not doing something that is as ill advised as the old lead bullet through a glock thing.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:19:56 PM EDT
[#4]
No. It is not a cleaning issue. Polygonal rifled barrels like the Glock's force-forms the bullet as it travels though the barrel. This means extreme tolerance. There is no room for anything else in that bore. Do not shoot lead, copper coated lead, or copper dipped bullets through a Glock period.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:39:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I shoot thousands of plated bullets every year with ZERO issues.  I have seen people shoot lead from their G-17's and it didn't lead up to bad but it was really hard cast stuff.  He said that it was sort of a pain to clean but he was really cheap so he delt with the lead.  I would avoid lead for many other reasons that the barrel issues.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:21:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I have seen people shoot lead from their G-17's and it didn't lead up to bad but it was really hard cast stuff.  

I know some die hard Glock owners who reload & they say the same thing. Commercial LRN probably ain't gonna do the trick either, IMO.

Or, one could buy an extra barrel for the lead shooting segments & switch back to the Glock barrel for real use?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:05:11 AM EDT
[#7]
I shot 3000 lead 180 grain hard cast reloads through my Model 23 so far without a problem. I don't shoot more that a 100 at a time and my barrel retains no leading at all.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:54:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top