Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2005 7:17:35 AM EDT
I recently aquired a brand new Winchester model 94 trapper in .45 Colt. It's a real nice handy carbine, and fun to shoot, however the trigger is horrible. It's real stiff and heavy. I did some web searching, and haven't really found any advise on improving it. A lot of sites stated flatly that the trigger on the model 94 can't be improved at all.  I also searched for springs and sears at places like Power custom, wolff, brownel's, etc, to no avail.  
The owners manual actually lists this as an extra safety feature.

Does anyone have any experience with these?

Thanks,

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:37:37 AM EDT
[#1]
You might want to try contacting this guy

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=121064

Or try out a few of these.

http://www.leverguns.com/leverguns/leversmiths.htm

Good luck

Karsten
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:44:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Some lighter springs might help:
www.gunsprings.com/RifleShotgun/Winchester_Rs.html

If that does not do the trick, I've heard that improving the trigger requires a gunsmith.  If the hammer sear notch is not square to the axis of the hammer pivot, these triggers become extremely heavy because you are working against both the trigger and the hammer springs.  Some very careful stoning can solve the problem but too much material removed can result in ADs.

I was actually pleasantly surprised by the trigger in my Trapper (in 44).  It is no worse than the average stock AR.  It is surprisingly accurate.  These little rifles are so light and fun to shoot that it would be worth getting it fixed IMHO.

-green
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:58:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for that. I swear I searched for Wolff Springs, but didn't find that site.  I think that their spring pack sounds like it may be the ticket. Or at least a nice improvement for ten bucks!
Thanks again!
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:01:35 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
... I was actually pleasantly surprised by the trigger in my Trapper (in 44).  It is no worse than the average stock AR.  It is surprisingly accurate...

My experience exactly with my .44 Trapper. Sweet little carbine.

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:10:45 PM EDT
[#5]
The trigger in my .44 seems to be fine.  How amny rounds do you have through it, or dry fired, etc?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top