Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2005 5:55:47 PM EDT
I purchased a Remington 700P from a semi local dealer yesterday.   Brought it home and tossed it in the safe.

This afternoon, I went and purchased a leupold scope base and rings for the rifle.

Upon gettin the rifle out of the safe, I noticed that the holes in the top of the receiver had no screws in them. the front hole appeared to have a slight ridge of metal around it.

Sure enough, when I Placed the base on the receiver and started to put the 3 screws in....The front and back screws kept twisting like they were in butter.     Someone had stripped those holes out!!!!!!

Rifle was supposed to be Brand NEW.   I did  not inspect the rifle when I purchased it as I was in a hurry and the shop was closing. And the rifle was supposed to be BRAND NEW!!

Jesus, I hope they take care of this........................

I have now completely gone over the rifle and It looks to be unfired, perfect conditon except for those holes.

Ive called the dealer but havent heard anything...they are not open on weekends, but it is a home operation, so maybe they will get back to me.....

I am sick to my stomach about this
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 5:32:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd make them give you a new one. The one they gave you is not new, since someone finger-f*cked it already. New items should not need damage repaired.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 5:43:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Maybe a QC issue with Remington, if its a new rifle. Call them and explain your problem.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 5:46:47 PM EDT
[#3]
they will probably blame you...
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 5:49:04 PM EDT
[#4]
See if they'll have it, as well as your mounts opened up to 8-40 threads as they are stronger than the 6-48 that are standard .  This will also serve to square the holes with the bore if it's done by a good gunsmith.  Look at it as an opportunity to get a free upgrade.  If they won't do it get another rifle.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 5:52:51 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
See if they'll have it, as well as your mounts opened up to 8-40 threads as they are stronger than the 6-48 that are standard .  This will also serve to square the holes with the bore if it's done by a good gunsmith.  Look at it as an opportunity to get a free upgrade.  If they won't do it get another rifle.

I guess that if it all goes south, this will be a relatively inexpensive fix on my end?

I did pay for this with a credit card which may be a plus and am so Pissed off that I cant fucking think straight.

I found  this dealer because they were recommended by someone on this sight.......
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 5:17:01 PM EDT
[#6]
IBTM
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 5:19:29 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
IBTM

?????
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 5:19:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't sweat it. The holes can be re-tapped.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 5:21:22 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Don't sweat it. The holes can be re-tapped.

by who? I dont own the tools for such.............

Did I mention that this was supposed to be a BRND NEW RIFLE?
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 5:22:49 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
IBTM

?????

In Before The Move.

I posted a thread on a similar topic and it was moved to an obscure forum.

ETA- I'd be pissed to. Brand new means brand new. You might be able to have it fixed, but why should you have to pay new price for a used rifle? You deserve a new rifle.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 5:25:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Don't you have a friend who could tap that? A good friend would do it for free.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 5:30:32 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd push for my money back or a NEW rifle. Fuck it get your money back.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 5:56:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Make them replace it, if you don't I guarantee it will be on the EE within 3-6 months. IMHO you will never be happy with a bad rifle, it will always linger in your mind "what else did they screw up at the factory".
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 5:59:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 5:59:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 6:20:27 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Call Remington if it's their mistake they will take care of it, if not I bet they come down on tha dealer like a pile of bricks.

I'd be furious also.

I am suspicious that the little screw in nubbins were missing from the holes. I bet it was a used gun

I will wait for what the dealer says..........I am positive that the little thread protecting screws should have been in the receiver as a new rifle... they were not there.

The rifle looks absolutely NEW and unfired other than this.

If he stiffs me, I will out him on this site as well as other sites.  Then I will contact Remington.

I am surely a pessimest and always think the worst.  Maybe they will come through.

I DID purchase this on my credit card, does that offer me any recourse.

He may take care of it, but I should get all of my ducks in a row in case of the worst.

Link Posted: 7/30/2005 6:31:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 6:35:28 PM EDT
[#18]
It's had someone tinker with it. Might not have been shot or only shot a few times. But it is used. A new one has the stub screws in place.

Bet you got a GREAT deal on it.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 7:04:18 PM EDT
[#19]
$699 list price on their website
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 8:33:58 PM EDT
[#20]
The problem might be that someone bought the rifle and never got a chance to use it since they screwed up the holes and never got a scope on it.  Thus it appears new, but isn’t.

But the problem could also be with Remington.

FWIW, I bought a new Remington LTR maybe 5 years ago.  It had plug screws in the receiver holes, but one screw had half of the top part snapped off along the slot.  Using a hammer and punch I was able with much difficulty to get the screw unscrewed (and wound up scratching the receiver in the process!).

I then saw the problem!  The hole was only threaded half-way.  Somebody at the factory had cranked the screw in, snapped it in the process, and just left it as it was.  I also found one of the other screw holes was only partly threaded.  Luckily, I had a 6X48 tap and was able to clean the two holes up.

Anyway, converting to 8X40 is an acceptable solution to your problem (and is actually an improvement).  OTOH, either you’d need 8X40 mounts or you’d need to convert the mounts you have to 8X40 screws.

Unfortunately, the forward hole in the front receiver ring bottoms out on the barrel.  To tap it the barrel would need to be removed.

It occurs to me that maybe Remington has started using 8X40 screws and maybe that’s what you’ve got.  Still, the absence of plug screws really suggests someone has fiddled with the rifle.  

Hope things turn out OK!!

ETA:  Did you get a warrantee card with the rifle?
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 10:14:33 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I cant be the only one who laughed at this.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:11:15 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
The problem might be that someone bought the rifle and never got a chance to use it since they screwed up the holes and never got a scope on it.  Thus it appears new, but isn’t.

But the problem could also be with Remington.

FWIW, I bought a new Remington LTR maybe 5 years ago.  It had plug screws in the receiver holes, but one screw had half of the top part snapped off along the slot.  Using a hammer and punch I was able with much difficulty to get the screw unscrewed (and wound up scratching the receiver in the process!).

I then saw the problem!  The hole was only threaded half-way.  Somebody at the factory had cranked the screw in, snapped it in the process, and just left it as it was.  I also found one of the other screw holes was only partly threaded.  Luckily, I had a 6X48 tap and was able to clean the two holes up.

Anyway, converting to 8X40 is an acceptable solution to your problem (and is actually an improvement).  OTOH, either you’d need 8X40 mounts or you’d need to convert the mounts you have to 8X40 screws.

Unfortunately, the forward hole in the front receiver ring bottoms out on the barrel.  To tap it the barrel would need to be removed.

It occurs to me that maybe Remington has started using 8X40 screws and maybe that’s what you’ve got.  Still, the absence of plug screws really suggests someone has fiddled with the rifle.  

Hope things turn out OK!!

ETA:  Did you get a warrantee card with the rifle?

I think that remington is still using the standard sized screws. Leuopold only offers one size for the gun.

Any how, the Dealer emailed me back last night after I went to sleep.   They are not open on weekends, so It was a Joy to hear from him.

He asked me to bring the rifle back and he would either order me a new one or give me a full refund.
I'm hoping things will turn out OK. He acts like a stand up guy!!!!
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 1:07:14 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
...I'm hoping things will turn out OK. He acts like a stand up guy!!!!

Glad to hear it!

I could easily see an unscrupulous dealer claiming the rifle was perfect when you got it and obviously you screwed it up trying to mount your rings.

I didn’t think Remington had changed thread sizes, but I figured the possibility was worth mentioning.

Incidentally, I was wrong in my earlier statement that the barrel needed to be removed to re-thread the forward most hole.  It could be handled as a blind hole (though not by me – I broke off a couple of taps in blind holes in my earlier years, and I don’t feel like ever going though that again!)
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:09:32 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I cant be the only one who laughed at this.

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:25:51 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

He asked me to bring the rifle back and he would either order me a new one or give me a full refund.
I'm hoping things will turn out OK. He acts like a stand up guy!!!!

Be sure to say who he is when you get your new rifle & tell him you're mentioning him here as well. A little stroking goes a long way with a dealer, IMO. He'll probably be happy to hear some good news for a change, IMO.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:01:11 AM EDT
[#26]
If you re-tap skip 6-48  do it right with 8-32 and you'll know the scope is secure.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:04:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Have them reamed out, tapped and use a larger screw.

Better anyway.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:12:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Tag for outcome...
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:01:16 PM EDT
[#29]
The delaer has told me that I should heve the rifel eary this week, will call me when it comes in.

It is Tuesday and I anit heard nuthin yet......................we'll see................
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:34:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Thursday and still nuthin...........this is going to put a hamper on my coyote hunt this weekend.
even i f I get the rifle tomorrow, it is too late to get scope mounted and sighted in.etc......blah, blah , blah................
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top