Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/19/2005 3:22:40 PM EDT
Are PMI mini 14 mags any good?  I'm looking at getting  some factory magazines, but  I would like to have some alternatives.
Link Posted: 6/19/2005 3:27:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, PMI mini14 mags are excellent, As good as Ruger facory mags because PMI is the company that made the Factory mags for Ruger.
PS: PMI used to be called Federal Ord.
Link Posted: 6/19/2005 6:02:09 PM EDT
[#2]
The PMI are good.  I'd get the Ruger factory mags if I had a choice though.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
Are PMI mini 14 mags any good?  I'm looking at getting  some factory magazines, but  I would like to have some alternatives.

Link Posted: 6/20/2005 12:24:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I bought a NIB Mini GB a few months ago and did some looking into the magazine situation myself.
Besides Ruger OEM the best alternatives seem to be PMI and Thermolds. I have heard some good things about ProMag but haven't tried any. The new ProMag Thermolds are supposed to be good quality and can bee had for about 15bucks. PMI 30's seem to be going for nearly what I can have a OEM Ruger 20, so with the exception of a few Thermolds its strictly Ruger 20's for me. Since mine is a very recent manufacture, I cannot use the Ruger 30's as they will not function reliably in the newer Mini's. Try eiether the new Thermold from ProMag or the "preban" variant. My Mini is tasked with some HD responsibility so I haven't the patience for a mag that cannot be trusted 110%. I just recently conceided that 20 rounds was more than enough for my Mini and an extra 10 rounds wasnt worth the time to test or the money to locate. Check out the magazine page on www.perfectunion.com for more information. Good Luck!
Link Posted: 6/20/2005 4:46:18 AM EDT
[#4]
I've been using PMI mags in my AC556 without any problems.

+1 on perfectunion.com
Link Posted: 6/20/2005 8:37:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Have you actually tried a Ruger 30?

I think someone just made up that rumor.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
I bought a NIB Mini GB a few months ago and did some looking into the magazine situation myself.
Besides Ruger OEM the best alternatives seem to be PMI and Thermolds. I have heard some good things about ProMag but haven't tried any. The new ProMag Thermolds are supposed to be good quality and can bee had for about 15bucks. PMI 30's seem to be going for nearly what I can have a OEM Ruger 20, so with the exception of a few Thermolds its strictly Ruger 20's for me. Since mine is a very recent manufacture, I cannot use the Ruger 30's as they will not function reliably in the newer Mini's. Try eiether the new Thermold from ProMag or the "preban" variant. My Mini is tasked with some HD responsibility so I haven't the patience for a mag that cannot be trusted 110%. I just recently conceided that 20 rounds was more than enough for my Mini and an extra 10 rounds wasnt worth the time to test or the money to locate. Check out the magazine page on www.perfectunion.com for more information. Good Luck!

Link Posted: 6/20/2005 8:57:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/25/2005 2:23:27 PM EDT
[#7]
The PMI/Fed Ord mags are just fine. I've been using them for years (20+ years).  No issues.  They funtion perfectly in my Mini's.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:15:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I have some PMI Mini 14 mags that I would trade for AK-47 mags. I get $40 ea. on 30 round blue unused and packed with spring out of the mag for zero compression all these years.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:17:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Always feed fine for me.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:10:45 PM EDT
[#10]
I need to get some Ruger 20's.  I've been using PMI 30's without any problems.  I'd like to get some factory Ruger's while we still can.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:57:37 PM EDT
[#11]
One reason for bad mini-14 mags is that they can rock in the mag well.  Insert a mag and see if you can move it front to back a bit or side to side.  Otherwise good mags by the questionable vendors can be made 100% by fixing this problem.  Usually its lack of material on the backbone of the mag where it latches.  A little fiddling and adding some slag and filing down should help a LOT.

I've often wondered if one could make a rubber lining for the mag well edges to help with this.  Seems like might be a decent market if it worked.

Oddly enough I took a gamble and ordered 7 30rd unknown brand mags from Sportsmans Guide and low and behold all 7 were and are 100% reliable.  I don't know the make of mag, but they were the cheap 11.95 ones.  The all latch up good and dont move in the magwell and the springs and lips work just fine.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:59:55 PM EDT
[#12]
tag
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:53:15 PM EDT
[#13]
https://www.calssportingarmory.com/Ruger.htm

I ordered 3 from here a few weeks ago and they are the real thing at a great price..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top