Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2004 9:27:50 AM EDT

I need to hook my camera back up...but, I picked up quite a find at the local funstore yesterday.

M1 Carbine, Cal .30, Inland, Serial number 904x.

Yep, a 4-digit number.  Barrel matches (Inland 6-42), rock-ola marked trigger housing with an IN marked hammer. Didn't get a chance to see who made the bolt. Found what I THINK is a tiny, tiny import marking on the right of the receiver, rear, behind the oprod area...but I can't see if it's really a marking or just random scratchings.  The flip safety (not push) is marked with a horseshoe (?) with an M in it. MAg release is marked with an M as well. There's a bunch of strange markings under the barrel, where the oprod area moves back and forth... It has a late-model rear sight marked I.R. Co. a barrel band marked SA on the bottom of the bayonet lug area, and a correct single-piece recoil spring assembly (just the spring and plunger).  The bolt seems to be a type 2 flat bolt.  (not the early early ones with the very deep V where the extractor is., but the "improved" model after that).

I haven't had a chance to do more than remove it from the stock and remove the recoil spring. When I get a chance, I'll detail any other info I can find.

Anyone want to ballpark this?

I remember someone posted a while ago a site which lets you dissect when a rifle was made...you plugged in a serial number and it spat out when it was made, where it went, etc. Or was that just for the Garand? I can't really remember...
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 10:15:37 AM EDT
[#1]
How about July/Aug 1942. I did a quick scan of Ruths "War Baby" I did not have time to look up much more than that...
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 10:52:54 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
How about July/Aug 1942. I did a quick scan of Ruths "War Baby" I did not have time to look up much more than that...

Going by the barrel date, that sounds about right...
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 1:23:23 PM EDT
[#3]
What kind of rear sight does it have, Milled or stamped?

Since it looks like that unit has been through the armory its reasonably lucky to still have the original barrel.

Sounds like a good find, may I ask the price range?
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 2:07:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Found some other things...

Looks like the rear is milled.

There IS an import marking; if you go here, the 2nd carbine, my import stampings are the exact same (I couldn't make them out, but Scott Duff did)...re-imported from Israel.

Price was $595 from my local fun dealer. I think I got a good deal

Problem is if I wanted to restore it...finding original type 1 bolts, etc isn't easy these days, not to mention it has a replacement stock (near as I can tell; it has no DOD proofs), and it has signifigant wear around the barrel where the bayonet lug shroud is.

As a good condition shooter, around here, that is a good price, I think.

ETA specifically which carbine on the page to reference.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 2:33:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like a pretty good deal, Carbine prices are unreal these days...

Is the rear sight staked like" / " or " . " if the first one, restoring is going to be tough as thats the largest tale tale sign. The bolt shouldnt be as tough as the correct wood, "I" cut "high" wood is expensive. If you do decide to restore, its probably gonna cost more than just buying a "correct" one in the first place. But, its great fun searching the world over for the proper parts and you never know, you just might find the right parts cheap.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 6:34:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Thats a very good deal for a 4 digit recvr M1 Carbine , even if it's a Import/mixmaster.

The safety is a postwar replacement part " M inside an Omega ".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top