Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2004 7:52:25 PM EDT
Am looking to upgrade the trunk gun setup. Presently have a 12 guage Rem 11 with 20" barrel, a Mosin-Nagant M44 carbine with an NcStar 2.5X30 illuminated scope, and a Taurus PT92 with 100 rounds in hi-cap mags. Presently have 440 rounds of 7.62x54R with 100 rounds of it already on stripper clips plus another 100 rounds of 12 guage.

Was thinking about getting a Saiga in .223 to reduce the # of calibers that I have to support. Main scenario for which I am preparing is a zombie army of 'disenfranchised voters' that run amok if W wins another squeaker and the DUhs claim theft again.  {I want it to look like Rorke's Drift instead of Reginald Denny}

Unfortunately, in this case, GET BOTH is not an option. If you choose OTHER .223, please explain.

Respectfully,

wganz
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:24:26 PM EDT
[#1]
sounds like a kel tec su-16 would appeal to you.  i have a sub2k and the thing is like a glock longarm- claw hammer reliable and tough as anything out there.  plus the crazy things fold up to save space.  su-16 takes AR mags too.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 9:20:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Whats the deal with people needing dozens of guns in there trunk? Asking for trouble if you ask me.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 10:04:37 PM EDT
[#3]
IF you want a .223 for the trunk get a Mini 14 or the Kel-Tec. Otherwise, I would recommend any variation of the SKS.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 10:17:47 PM EDT
[#4]
SKS is an excellent trunk gun for the money... at least compared to the Mosin.

Can't beat an AR in the trunk tho... I would rotate the mags and fire it regularly tho.

- BG
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 2:35:57 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Whats the deal with people needing dozens of guns in there trunk? Asking for trouble if you ask me.

Suggest that you find the video of Reginald Denny and ask yourself if that is what you want done to you? Here's a deal; watch the video, if you can tell me how he asked to have that done to him then I'll not carry anything in my trunk.  

Hadn't thought of the Mini14 or much less the Kel Tec SU16.  The SU16 folded would fit under the front passenger seat, hmmmm...............

wganz

Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:34:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Rather than bother with the Saiga, why not a 5.45 Romanian or similar? Ammo is cheap and effective, mags are cheap and plentiful, and they work just fine. I sometimes use one of mine for such duty and have settled on an all-black with black mags to minimize the "AK" profile, which is very distinctive and screams "bad guy" to every cop and citizen who watches the evening news in America, You can now put a folder on these as well if you like (make sure of your parts count!) . If it gets stolen...and this, sadly is a fate for a fair number of "trunk guns"...it ain't like it was your tricked-out AR...just a thought. I'd sure as Hell take one of these to a Mini14 any day.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:36:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:38:29 AM EDT
[#8]
you can get an AK for 350.00.
you can build a AR for 550.00

Link Posted: 10/15/2004 10:50:30 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Rather than bother with the Saiga, why not a 5.45 Romanian or similar? Ammo is cheap and effective, mags are cheap and plentiful, and they work just fine. I sometimes use one of mine for such duty and have settled on an all-black with black mags to minimize the "AK" profile, which is very distinctive and screams "bad guy" to every cop and citizen who watches the evening news in America, You can now put a folder on these as well if you like (make sure of your parts count!) . If it gets stolen...and this, sadly is a fate for a fair number of "trunk guns"...it ain't like it was your tricked-out AR...just a thought. I'd sure as Hell take one of these to a Mini14 any day.

He wants to minimize the amount of calibers he has to support but I do agree with the AK. A SAR-3 would be my choice. Cheap and reliable.

I think you should loose one of your long guns though. Think about driving alone and if you ARE seperated from your car, are you going to carry both? I wouldn't and if you don't then you just left a deadly weapon in the midst of a violent situation. A rifle with a couple hundred rounds of ammo seems plenty good. Plus a sidearm of course. Plus, if you pop out of your car with an AK, people aren't gonna be throwing bricks at you unless they WANT to die.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 12:20:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 12:49:15 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Can't beat an AR in the trunk tho... I would rotate the mags and fire it regularly tho.
- BG

You want him to accelerate wear on his mags
He should fire it regularly just because, but there's no need to worry about rotating the mags, unless you are worried about the ammo recieving exposure.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 1:13:11 PM EDT
[#12]

Short AR-15 in a simple configuration.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 10:56:18 PM EDT
[#13]
My biggest concern with a trunk gun is theft. If someone steals my rifle, I don't want my AR on the streets. I've elected to put in a gun with minimal gangster appeal, but with still-strong performance.

My choice? Mosin Nagant. Get a leather pouch with some stripper clips, and I can't think of any REALISTIC threat you can't take care of. If you're getting mobbed, a 1944 would be handy, but that muzzle blast will scare ANYONE who isn't getting shot at.

Save your money.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:00:06 AM EDT
[#14]
A pistol grip Saiga conversion can be done for just over 200 bucks. AK reliable and can use M193 type ammo if you get the .223 version. Toss on a folding romanian stock for around 35 dollars more and you have yourself a very compact, reliable and effective rifle for less than $250.00

Just my two cents...
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 3:29:38 PM EDT
[#15]
SKS with a synthetic stock and a Williams aperture sight is what I have. Cheap gun cheap to shoot.  It won't hurt that much if it is stolen.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 1:21:09 AM EDT
[#16]
The shotgun should work for most things close-up.  With the M44, you have some range, but more importantly, you have penetration.  If you're in your car, odds are any target will be in or around a car as well.  The 7.62x54R will do as well as .30-06 or .308 at getting through a car door, safety glass, etc.  

I think you'll run out of targets, or die before you run out of ammo for all three guns in your trunk.  I wouldn't worry about having to support the M44.  A 440rd spam can will last you a VERY long time.  Even though it is a different caliber, it really requires very little support.  

An alternative is a 7.62x39 AK with a folding stock.  Again for the penetration.  While shorter ranged than the 7.62x54R, it will still do a number on a car.  The folder would allow you to rest it on your lap, or ready to go in any other fashion, and it could sit in a gym bag without much of anyone noticing as it's short.  The 20rd mags are handy as well for mounted use.  They're also dirt cheap.  A disadvantage is you'll need to support another caliber, as you're going to end up shooting the AK a bunch

I think I'd just stick to what you have.  If you can't get out of trouble with the three guns you already have in the trunk, then you need to be spending money on training, not other guns.  

Ross
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 1:58:53 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
SKS is an excellent trunk gun for the money... at least compared to the Mosin.

- BG

+1
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 2:08:35 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
IF you want a .223 for the trunk get a Mini 14 or the Kel-Tec. Otherwise, I would recommend any variation of the SKS.

+1 for the SKS
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:26:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Saw the video. You would have no legal ability to use a Trunk Gun on the guy, regardless. If you ever need a firearm to protect yourself, you won't be able to get to your trunk in time.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:48:16 PM EDT
[#20]
SKS
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:57:09 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Saw the video. You would have no legal ability to use a Trunk Gun on the guy, regardless. If you ever need a firearm to protect yourself, you won't be able to get to your trunk in time.

The video being referenced is the now (in)famous video at:  akosh.com/misc/holdinitdown.wmv  of the attack on the blue PT Cruiser.

In the blue sheeple states such as Kalifornistan or the Democratic Republic of New York, you may be correct. In TX, this reprobate would be sucking on a Steyr if it was my car.  But that is not what I am really worried about. Please go back && reread the original scenario. This scenario is about +100 of these reprobate zombies that are doing multiple 'Reginald Denny' type of assaults since W stole the election. Now, if you so choose to go tharn and be a victim, that is your choice.

My choice is semper paratus(always prepared). I'll attempt to drive over/across whatever to get to an open road to escape. Failing that, will extract my way out of the vehicle using fire & manuver from multiple standard capacity magazines to get to trunk. Unlimber either rifle or shotgun(preferable) and engage multiple zombies. Expend all possible 12 gauge ammo. Take magazine cap off of Remmie 11 which renders it incapable of firing, put magazine cap in pocket, throw M60 sling over shoulder that has the surplus leather clip pouches & canvas bag of loose ammo on it & PT92 in holster, and E&E out towards a 'friendly' area. Depending on moon phase and what else I see, may attempt to extract others. Would be awful hard for me to turn tail, run, and leave a woman being raped behind.

This quaint concept of legalities will go out the window in a zombie attack. <sarcasm="on">Could you fill me in on the Queensbury Rules of Conducting a riot? <sarcasm="off">  Not that I am going to incite this riot but am going to do whatever is required to preserve life & limb from it. Given the fever pitch of the rhetoric, it is not unlikely that this scenario will be played out.

wganz

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 2:22:03 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The video being referenced is the now (in)famous video at:  akosh.com/misc/holdinitdown.wmv  of the attack on the blue PT Cruiser.

In the blue sheeple states such as Kalifornistan or the Democratic Republic of New York, you may be correct. In TX, this reprobate would be sucking on a Steyr if it was my car.  But that is not what I am really worried about. Please go back && reread the original scenario. This scenario is about +100 of these reprobate zombies that are doing multiple 'Reginald Denny' type of assaults since W stole the election. Now, if you so choose to go tharn and be a victim, that is your choice.

My choice is semper paratus(always prepared). I'll attempt to drive over/across whatever to get to an open road to escape. Failing that, will extract my way out of the vehicle using fire & manuver from multiple standard capacity magazines to get to trunk. Unlimber either rifle or shotgun(preferable) and engage multiple zombies. Expend all possible 12 gauge ammo. Take magazine cap off of Remmie 11 which renders it incapable of firing, put magazine cap in pocket, throw M60 sling over shoulder that has the surplus leather clip pouches & canvas bag of loose ammo on it & PT92 in holster, and E&E out towards a 'friendly' area. Depending on moon phase and what else I see, may attempt to extract others. Would be awful hard for me to turn tail, run, and leave a woman being raped behind.

This quaint concept of legalities will go out the window in a zombie attack. <sarcasm="on">Could you fill me in on the Queensbury Rules of Conducting a riot? <sarcasm="off">  Not that I am going to incite this riot but am going to do whatever is required to preserve life & limb from it. Given the fever pitch of the rhetoric, it is not unlikely that this scenario will be played out.

wganz

I just saw the movie.  I would have ran the banger over!!!

Remman
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 1:22:47 PM EDT
[#23]
How about a folding stock on an SKS?  Compact and decent firepower.

You could get a decent Yugo SKS and Ramline or other folding stock for under $175.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 2:19:25 PM EDT
[#24]
either an sks or saiga in 7.62x39.the saiga if you plan to put some sort of optic on it,the sks if you do not.I would not feel unarmed with the mosin though if you decided to stick with that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top