Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2004 5:50:31 PM EDT
Anyone played around with one yet?  How was it? This may be tantamount to blasphemy but I was thinking about a new AR, but am consdiering the SOCOM instead...

Paul
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:13:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I would take one with a pistol grip stock.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:15:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I handled one, and it is nice. I want the 18 inch barrel though.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:41:40 PM EDT
[#3]
If you want a nice .308 rifle, with a 16" barrel, get a .308 saiga, and convert it. I love mine, its accurate, and fun to shoot. Easily mod the mags for 10 rounds, and hi caps will be available later. You can make one for less than 350 bucks.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 2:12:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Handled one a few weeks ago and I like it! I will probably get one sometime soon myself.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:12:21 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
If you want a nice .308 rifle, with a 16" barrel, get a .308 saiga, and convert it. I love mine, its accurate, and fun to shoot. Easily mod the mags for 10 rounds, and hi caps will be available later. You can make one for less than 350 bucks.

LET'S SEE SOME PICS!!!!

Pardon my excitement, but I am planning on doing exactly that. I am looking to pick up a 16" Saiga in .308 at Knob Creek. With about $100 worth of parts and a few 20 round mags, you could make a pretty nice battle rifle for cheap. With a the 16" barrel and a folder, it would be a hell of a trunk gun.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 11:36:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:14:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, I was really excited about the SOCOM model, too, but then I learned about the myriad of problems this thing has been having.  Do yourself a favor and stick to the scout or standard M1A.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:33:58 PM EDT
[#8]
i love mine, no problems at all. it kicks like a bitch though.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:32:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

LET'S SEE SOME PICS!!!!

Pardon my excitement, but I am planning on doing exactly that. I am looking to pick up a 16" Saiga in .308 at Knob Creek. With about $100 worth of parts and a few 20 round mags, you could make a pretty nice battle rifle for cheap. With a the 16" barrel and a folder, it would be a hell of a trunk gun.

Here is a pic, I dont have the scope on there anymore.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 4:50:42 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

IMHO:
A 16" barrel for a .308, is like a 10" barrel for a 5.56.
It just doesn't allow for ballistic potential, your just handicapping yourself, why bother.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 4:52:23 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

IMHO:
It just doesn't allow for ballistic potential, why bother.

What about 18? As near as I can tell, that seems to be the velocity floor for 7.62, thats where it starts to really go downhill.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 12:55:36 PM EDT
[#12]
what ever happend to the M1A bush rifle. that was a nice gun, im still looking for one. didnt they have an 18in barrel?

bbr
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 3:27:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:24:01 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The M1A Scout has the 18" barrel and no gas problems.  Avoid the 16" SOCOM model.

-Troy

Who said they have "gas problems"?
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:38:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:51:24 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
The M1A Scout has the 18" barrel and no gas problems.  Avoid the 16" SOCOM model.

-Troy

A sizable percentage of SOCOM owners.  Perhaps you should do some reading.  Many have been returned for repairs already.

-Troy

Don't need to do any reading, mine works perfect. Got  a link to those with problems?
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 1:00:20 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Troy

A sizable percentage of SOCOM owners.  Perhaps you should do some reading.  Many have been returned for repairs already.

-Troy

Isn't that pretty common with Springfield rifles anyway?
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 2:41:44 PM EDT
[#18]
I had a chance to ring one out at a Tactical Rifle match a few months ago.  An engineer I shoot with had some input on the project, and arranged to take delivery of one of the first commercial guns.

I did not experience any problems with the rifle; it's a straight up M1A, and performed exactly like you would expect.  The muzzle brake is very effective, and consequently very loud.  The gun handled very well, especially with the Aimpoint I loaned him; double taps were fast, and the rifle was very quick to target.

I've never been a big fan of the M1A, but this was one rifle that I could see myself owning.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:11:10 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

LET'S SEE SOME PICS!!!!

Here is a pic, I dont have the scope on there anymore.
img.photobucket.com/albums/v75/akscott60/saiga308.bmp

Very cool. With an AK74 brake and some 20 round mags, that would be the shit.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 2:37:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Is it true that the muzzle device is not a flash hider? I was told at the local shop it's a muzzle brake and recoil reducer only. Handles nice but I do like the Scout too. Is the barrel on the Scout 18" with the FH or with out?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:11:32 AM EDT
[#21]
It's also nice for guys like me who shot the M14 while in the military. I can't shoot anything as good as the M14.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:01:52 AM EDT
[#22]
I managed to get one before they were available. It is an awsome piece of machinery.Nothing like 308 in a small package. The only thing is the rails will get hot pretty fast during a good blasting session. I have been thinking about making this my new truck gun.  308 has  the penatration thing
going for and against it. But if it needs to come out I'll worry later.....
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:43:51 PM EDT
[#23]
I love mine and have never had any trouble. I have it set up with an EOTECH on the front rail.  I have shot Australian blister packs, Spanish battle packs, and commercial ammo with no problems.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:25:12 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

IMHO:
It just doesn't allow for ballistic potential, your just handicapping yourself, why bother.

What is it 200fps you loose by going to a 16" barrel?
Are you or your target really going to notice that?
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 1:44:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Does anyone have any info about SOCOM's being returned for repairs???
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 1:54:09 PM EDT
[#26]
A guy at the shop I work at part time got one of the first ones.  The bolt broke a lug after +-300 rounds.  They're louder than fuck...if they'd just make it with a small birdcage AR style F/S they'd be a lot nicer.

Anyone know if the Scout or Bush can use a standard M1A FS?
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:39:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quiet-You can use a standard FS on the Scout/Bush models, but then you can't unscrew the gas plug, and you can't use a bayonet with the shorter bbl.  Vortex FS seems to be the way to go when given a choice btwn. FS or MB on any rifle.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 12:13:43 AM EDT
[#28]
im buying a scout and modding it down to about the same length of the SOCOM.  i too am tempted by it though.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 1:04:01 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
im buying a scout and modding it down to about the same length of the SOCOM.  i too am tempted by it though.

I ain't.

After hearing stuff like QuietShooter wrote I am more than weary of any SA M1A.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:37:50 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I ain't.

You guys are goofy. Some of you believe just because so and so on the Internet who happens to have a high post count, cool avatar pic, and a witty sig line, makes what they say the the bottom line in how a gun performs. I have seen almost every handgun and rifle called a POS on the internet. I got news for you,  no company is gonna stay in business long selling junk.SA has been in business quite a while. I am sure they don't put out rifles that just fall apart.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 4:11:26 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I ain't.

You guys are goofy. Some of you believe just because so and so on the Internet who happens to have a high post count, cool avatar pic, and a witty sig line, makes what they say the the bottom line in how a gun performs. I have seen almost every handgun and rifle called a POS on the internet. I got news for you,  no company is gonna stay in business long selling junk.SA has been in business quite a while. I am sure they don't put out rifles that just fall apart.

Haha.

You know what?  I have no idea who QuietShooter is.  I could care less about his avatar or sigline or postcount.  If you think that matters then you are just plain ignorant.  (No offense QS).  

But I will tell you this.  QS is not the only person I have seen posting about problems of that type.  If you can justify spending that much money on a gun that may more than likely fail, go ahead.  But I damn sure won't.  I'll save my pennies and get a real M1A, made of forged USGI spec parts, like what LRB offers.

But don't come back here complaining that you M1A broke after an unacceptable amount of rounds down range.....
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 4:26:44 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I ain't.

Haha.

You know what?  I have no idea who QuietShooter is.  I could care less about his avatar or sigline or postcount.  If you think that matters then you are just plain ignorant.  (No offense QS).  

But I will tell you this.  QS is not the only person I have seen posting about problems of that type.  If you can justify spending that much money on a gun that may more than likely fail, go ahead.  But I damn sure won't.  I'll save my pennies and get a real M1A, made of forged USGI spec parts, like what LRB offers.

But don't come back here complaining that you M1A broke after an unacceptable amount of rounds down range.....

Hell, If you did'nt planning on buying one why post about it? The thread IS titled SPRINGFIELD M1A SOCOM. Don't worry about me coming back here complaing that mine broke. If it breaks, it has a lifetime warranty on it. I won't come here to snivel. Looks like I won't have to worry about that anyway, mine works great,even after an "unacceptable amount of rounds downrage".
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 4:49:18 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I ain't.

Haha.

Hell, If you did'nt planning on buying one why post about it? The thread IS titled SPRINGFIELD M1A SOCOM. Don't worry about me coming back here complaing that mine broke. If it breaks, it has a lifetime warranty on it. I won't come here to snivel. Looks like I won't have to worry about that anyway, mine works great,even after an "unacceptable amount of rounds downrage".

I posted about it because I had planned to buy one.  But that idea changed after reading about SA's sloppy Q&C concerning all models of their M1As.

And concerning the lifetime warranty, don't you think that maybe there would be no need for a lifetime warranty if the M1As were made of forged, USGI parts?  It would be the best of both worlds if they built forged M1As AND offered a lifetime warranty.  To me, it is almost as if SA is saying to the customer, "Well, our rifles are made of a majority of cast parts and our Q&C is hit and miss, but we do offer a lifetime warranty."

To me that just kind of defeats the purpose.  I am glad that yours works.  I hope it works for as long as you have it.  But if I were you I'd be on the lookout for malfunctions.  But hey, that is just my $.02.  

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:18:24 PM EDT
[#34]
I think that in theory, the SOCOM looks like an awesome, most formidable weapon.  I dont think, however, that the  price is right... Might wanna wait for the price to drop some.  PS:  You guys are crackin me up by posting each others responses everytime you respond to one another.  Soon each post will be 1/2 a page!  

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:20:48 PM EDT
[#35]
It looks cool as hell- but I will stick with my FAL's. I am leery of SA - they can make really good guns - but they lost to Kimber on getting a .45 for the Marines - and the M14 is not the "best" gun ever made contrary to popular lore. I don't see the purpose of a short .308 except for fun shooting. I have debated with the idea of a paratrooper FAL - but can still see no practical reason for one - just recreational - so I'll stick with full sized battle rifles in .308 - what they were intended to do all along - the M1A, FAL, and G3 are not, nor never were, meant for CQB - use the right tool for the right job in my opinion.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 3:53:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top