Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2004 2:32:22 PM EDT
I got hold of some scrap kevlar left over from a body armor sub-contract so I thought I'd try using it for some type of target. Since coffee cans are one of my favorite, cheap and simple plinking targets I decided to try it in one. Nothing high tech or fancy mind you, I simply placed the scraps in layers all around the inside walls of the can. I ended up with maybe six or eight layers that were jammed fairly tight around the inside. Sorry, no before pics of the construction of the target.

Here's what the scraps looked like before they went in the can:

Here's a pic of two targets attached by a length of rope. I hung each target, one at a time, over a tree branch at the uncompleted police range behind my house. You can see the tufts of kevlar sticking out of the left can. The right can was stuffed with cardboard.
I like to stuff the cans with cardboard, it gets them to move a bit more when struck by a bullet.
I shot each target about 120 rounds with a 10/22 at about fifty yards, offhand and kneeling. The kevlar target was much more fun to shoot. One round would give it a decent swing and a well timed second round push would get it really swinging. The better I shot the harder it got.
The kevlar started to go for a shit after about sixty rounds and the can would swing less with each shot.

Here's a pic of the kevlar I took out of the can. If you look closely on the lid you can see a few bullets I recoverd. I'm sure there was more in that mess but I didnt bother to get them out. I'd say the kevlar stopped about a third of the rounds, most in the first shots.

We all know kevlar will stop bullets, after all thats what they make vests out of. Its obvious to see here that its not just the kevlar, its how you make the vest. Loose kevlar was only mildy effective at stopping .22 caliber rounds. I expected as much although I thought the kevlar would catch more bullets.
Conclusions?
1: Dont hide behind a coffee can filled with loose pieces of kevlar in a gunfight.

2: captainpooby has way too much time on his hands.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:03:48 PM EDT
[#1]
hehe  Sweet
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:26:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Very scientific! Want another beer?
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:17:25 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Very scientific! Want another beer?

I am the first to admit I am no Brouhaha although I would share a little space with Tatjana.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:29:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Just giving ya shit.

Now what you need to do is buy one of em kevlar helmets for $40 from cheaper than dirt and repeat your experiments.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:19:14 PM EDT
[#5]
This was actually scraps from bigger pieces in the scrap pile farther up the production line. I'm going to try and get some decent sized pieces and do some other experiments.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 2:32:46 AM EDT
[#6]
loose kevalr will do little as it can simply be pushed or knocked out of the way. It works in vests because it is layered and bonded together into a specific shape and gains density so it HAS to absorb the impact as it can move aside or be pushed.

S.O.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:33:52 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
loose kevalr will do little as it can simply be pushed or knocked out of the way. It works in vests because it is layered and bonded together into a specific shape and gains density so it HAS to absorb the impact as it can move aside or be pushed.

S.O.

I might ask the local rigger if he can so some scraps together for the next run. I may also dope them with some resin and line the inside of the can like that.
It was obvious that the scraps had no integretigy on their own, the fibres easily parted.
I'm going to see if there are more larger pieces available as well.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 1:04:30 AM EDT
[#8]
See if you can pieces about the height of a can and long enough to go the entire circumfrence and epoxy themto the inside. Try to layer them in a way to not have the weave all go in one direction. You will likely have to slather it with expoxy to keep the kevlar from seperating from the can sides, maybe even stuff some polystirene (sp?) into the center of the can to keep the kevlar from being "pushed in" if it seperated from the can side?

S.O.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:09:08 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
See if you can pieces about the height of a can and long enough to go the entire circumfrence and epoxy themto the inside. Try to layer them in a way to not have the weave all go in one direction. You will likely have to slather it with expoxy to keep the kevlar from seperating from the can sides, maybe even stuff some polystirene (sp?) into the center of the can to keep the kevlar from being "pushed in" if it seperated from the can side?

S.O.

I thought of just that and using expanding foam in the middle. Got a hurricane to deal with now though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top