Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2004 11:39:07 AM EDT
Since I may be doing some out-of-town work in the coming months, I've been thinking about what the wife could use for home defense should the need arise.  She is a horrible pistol shot and isn't all that great with a rifle.  She has shot my 12ga a few times, but she flinches from the recoil.  The only thing left I can think of is my old 20ga. shotgun.  It has a recoil pad and has less felt recoil than an AR with field loads.  

Do you think a 20ga is adequate for home protection purposes?  It's just about the only think she will practice with and shoot without complaining.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 12:01:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Definitely adequate...if she will use one, get it for her. Load it with #3 Buck when you leave...if she needs it she will never know the difference.

My sister would use only a .22 rifle for a long time although she has come around to the 9mm now, so I got her a Ruger 10-22 with a couple of 25rd. mags loaded with Stingers. Yeah, it was "just" a .22LR, but 20+ rounds of CCI Stinger on target in a couple of seconds at close range is nothing to sneeze at!

You do the best you can.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 1:09:04 PM EDT
[#2]
20 Guage is excellent for home defense!If it won't stop a BG, a 12 gauge most likely wouldn't either.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 1:23:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Before my wife could shoot her revolver well, I thought seriously about a Mossberg 20 gauge.  I think it's called the HS (Home Security) model??

Nice shotgun.  I'd actually prefer an autoloader for her though.  Even working the pump while under extreme stress could be difficult for people who don't train much with firearms.  I'd rather her be able to thumb off the safety and just keep pulling the trigger.

What models are you considering?
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 1:44:17 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Before my wife could shoot her revolver well, I thought seriously about a Mossberg 20 gauge.  I think it's called the HS (Home Security) model??

Nice shotgun.  I'd actually prefer an autoloader for her though.  Even working the pump while under extreme stress could be difficult for people who don't train much with firearms.  I'd rather her be able to thumb off the safety and just keep pulling the trigger.

What models are you considering?

It's a Mossy 500C.  The pump action thing does worry me, especially since it has to be racked with authority or it won't feed right.  I may load up some really light 12ga loads for her to get comfortable with, then load up the 3" buckshot rounds when I'm gone.  If she doesn't fall for that, I'll just buy a new 20ga. semi auto.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 2:17:33 PM EDT
[#5]
The 20 gauge would make a great home defence gun.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 4:31:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, you should be able to find a used Remington 1100 in 20GA for a decent price.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 8:10:30 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd suggest that you cut the buttstock down, most SGs have a LOP only suitable for orangatans.  I cut an 1.5" off of a Mossy 500 for my wife, not only does she like it better but so do I.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 8:20:10 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
20 Guage is excellent for home defense!If it won't stop a BG, a 12 gauge most likely wouldn't either.

True statement!
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 3:41:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Buy her a semi in 20ga, if its something she will pratice with mabey she will get good and into other firearms,then ya got yourself the ultimate shootin buddy.If she dont get into other firearms at least you will know she has a firearm she is comfortable with that she is not afraid to use,therefore you know she will be safe.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 4:21:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 9:38:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Got one, just for the same purpose.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 8:03:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Another vote for a 20-guage semi.

Do you have kids, or anybody else living in the house? If so, I wouldn't recommend buckshot loads. Too much penetration. Might go through a wall and hit the wrong person.

If she's there alone, I'd recommend #4 buckshot.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 3:21:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Get a youth model.  They usually have shorter stocks and are not any more expensive than a standard model.  You can then just add a recoil pad to get the fit just right.  I have a Youth model 870 and the receiver is also 20ga sized, so the whole package handles and feels smaller, even though I've added a recoil pad directly to the youth stock to make it fit me.  It's a shotgun that handles like a .30 Carbine.  It's FAST on target and will bust clays like nobody's business.  People think it's an odd gun until they try it out, then they offer to buy it.

Indoors you aren't going to get huge patterns anyway.  At those ranges most of the load is going to be pretty close together.  Heck, I wouldn't want to get hit with birdshot at hallway distance.  

I don't know if Remington makes a Youth 1100, but if they do, that would be the ticket.

Ross
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 7:17:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 7:44:17 AM EDT
[#15]
My mossberg 500 pump, 20 gauge with a slug bbl in my bedroom.  I am concerned with overpenetration in a house, so mine is loaded with seven hi-brass #5 shot.  I have a nylon sleeve on the butt stock with 5 slugs in case they were needed,

There really is not much difference in the "payload" between a 20 and 12 gauge, but there is a lot less felt recoil.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top