Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/28/2003 1:02:08 AM EDT
I saw it at a gunshow last weekend. I liked it but the $1500 price tag urked me. Is that the right prcie for these rifles? Or was that one jacked up a bit. Who here has one? Do you like it? The reason I ask is I want to get something in 223 thats not an AR. Flame on, I just wanna be different.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 1:03:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Almost forgot do they come with bipods? If not can you get a bipod for the M96 rifles? Thanks
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 8:23:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Anybody?
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 8:52:58 AM EDT
[#3]
$1200-$1450 is the price range I usually see on them. They don't come with a bipod, but it is easy enough to add one. The handguards mount on the receiver frame, so attaching a bipod doesn't affect the POI and it is a solid mount. This was done using a screw stud mounted through the first handguard hole.

Link Posted: 11/28/2003 11:56:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I bought mine about six months ago and I love it.

I have had no problems at all. As the owners manual says, it will take about 100 round to break in properly.

There are a few things I would like to see changed:
An elevation adj. rear sight. Windage is adj. with a A2 knob, but no elevation.
The magazine well should be flared slightly to aid in mag. changes.

Other than that, an excellent gun.  

Link Posted: 12/7/2003 5:02:34 AM EDT
[#5]
 I've seen red headed stepkids that get treated better than I treat my M96....flawless weapon...hefty, smooth, accurate and UTTERLY reliable in it's current configuration.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 5:26:48 AM EDT
[#6]
The more I handle the M96 at shows and read the good things about it (desertmoon, you have almost convinced me!) the more I want one.  I just love the way the rifle feels and points.  Considering that the barrel is free-floating without the addition of a FF tube or tactical fore-end with rails (rails can be added like on the RAV if you have a little ability with hand tools for not much $$$) and the quick-change ability of the barrel, $1200 to $1400 really isn't all that bad of a price.  If the new 6.8 cartridge is as good as is claimed (it is supposed to be released this spring) and Robinson Armament makes a barrel and bolt that will "drop in" to the 5.56X45 (.223) M-96 Recon, it will be the next rifle I buy.  Someone has already done a conversion and the accuracy results were impressive.  I'll now shut up as I am rambling off topic.

Link Posted: 12/11/2003 6:16:36 AM EDT
[#7]
 HPD...Alex R. and I were discussing conversions the other day and the 6.8 topic came up....if the 6.8 gets released and it turns out to be a good thing...you'll most likely see that one.  The 7.62 X 39 change over is yet again on the back burner for minor technical reasons but another fellow and I convinced him to look into it again as a VERY "sellable" concept.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 8:34:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I hope the 6.8 works out - then I can stop jumping between .308 and .223!

You are absolutely right about the 7.62X39 being a sellable concept.  If they came out with a 7.62X39 conversion for the current M96 (using AK mags like the RAV) and offered a package rifle with the parts for both calibers their rifles would fly off of the shelves.  If you added in a 6.8 conversion also then there wouldn't be a reason not to buy one.  Such a system would be cheaper than owning ARs with all of the same options.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 5:34:38 AM EDT
[#9]
 I think I have Alex talked in checking it out again.  The issue with the conversion was that in order for it to work 110% the rear of the ejection port need to be relieved more...no problem...BUT that causes the brass to fly rearward instead of forward on both calibers...this would suck for lefties.  We discussed a few ideas to cure that...I am hoping to see this back on the drawing boards soon.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 6:04:29 AM EDT
[#10]
I had no idea that this was the problem with the conversion - I'm surprised that they gave up on it when it sounds like they were so close.  Hopefully they will get it working now that you have encouraged them.  Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 11:22:19 PM EDT
[#11]
not to pee in the punch bowl here, but me and several others who witnessed the event, will now and forever refer to the m96 as the "m96 exploding rifle". An aqcuaintance brought it to the range to try out a few days after purchase. after a few rounds (fewer than 10),
there was a sickening POP. The barrel went down range and my buddies head was engulfed in smoke.Luckily he was wearing eye protection and only had some minor powder burns and metal
splinters.It turned out that the barrel is held
in by a rolling latch (sorry,best way I know how to describe it) which had worked itself loose.
upon informing the manufacturer about the incident,They apparently knew of a "very few rare instances" of this occurring due to this
latch, and that " a few of the rifles made it out of the factory with it". They replaced his rifle. I would hate to hear about this happening to someone else. Buyer beware.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 5:55:59 AM EDT
[#12]
 This was most likely a VERY early rifle....this issue was taken care of years ago and is no longer a problem.
 That being said: one MUST familiarize themselves with the QD barrel feature fully before fielding the weapon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top