Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2003 5:08:36 PM EDT
I was out shooting yesterday and in the middle of a mag, the bolt locked back half-way through its stroke.  

I immediately tried SPORTS and no matter how hard I pulled on the charging handle I could not get the bolt freed up.  I had to quit for the time being.  

The bolt (carrier) was frozen just behind the ejection port.  I ended up banging the stock on the bed of the pickup and pulling the charging handle back as hard as I could and the bolt let loose.  

I pulled everything apart and there were no signs of anything being broken.  

Also, it was somewhat dirty (about 100 rounds w/o cleaning) but was lubed.  Besides, I've run hundreds of rounds w/o cleaning without ever having a stoppage.  

After the inspection, I put it back together and it ran fine after that for another 2 magazines.  

WTF? over...
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 7:42:39 PM EDT
[#1]
My guess is a primer got hungup somewhere.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 10:47:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Were there any scratches on the BC? I wonder if the buffer retaining pin hasn't popped up just a bit too high, enough to catch the BC?

Link Posted: 8/18/2003 3:49:59 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Were there any scratches on the BC? I wonder if the buffer retaining pin hasn't popped up just a bit too high, enough to catch the BC?

There would have been considerable damage if that happened.  Adn it would have still been out of place when he opended the gun up.  I owned a lower that had a bad retaning pin.  It damaged the lower when itpopped out.  Previous owner had ignored the problem.

TRG
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 10:05:53 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm still baffled.  

Anyone else have this happen to them?  

Link Posted: 8/19/2003 11:54:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Yup

Primer popped out and got stuck in the lower b/c.

Dropped the mag, pulled the charging handle while gently smacking the butt stock on the shooting bench and the b/c broke free and the primer popped out the mag well on to the floor. It was wedged shaped.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 12:57:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Yup

Primer popped out and got stuck in the lower b/c.

Dropped the mag, pulled the charging handle while gently smacking the butt stock on the shooting bench and the b/c broke free and the primer popped out the mag well on to the floor. It was wedged shaped.

Thanks dog.  

That must have been it then.  I didn't notice any primer pop out but then again, I just wanted to get my rifle up and running so I could run some more drills so I wasn't paying attention to anything like a primer that might fall out.  

I have no other explanation for this.  

It is troubling however.  The damn bolt was locked up tight.  

I had to really work the thing to get it running.  Hope it never happens when I need it for real.  

Drives home the basics of cover and having a back-up weapon.  

Hell, give me suppresive fire!!!
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 1:53:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Drives home the basics of cover and having a back-up weapon.  

That and using suitable ammo.  

Reloaders hate surplus ammo with the staked primers because it's more work to reload the brass, but it prevents this type of thing from occurring.
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 3:17:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Is Q3131A "suitable ammo."  

That's what I was using.

No wolf or reloads in my AR.  

I'm still not convinced the problem was a primer but I haven't heard any better explanation yet.

Thanks.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 4:35:12 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Is Q3131A "suitable ammo."  

That's what I was using.

I've always been told that it was suitable...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top