Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/8/2003 4:39:09 PM EDT
How come I hear this so many times. Whenever I am talking about getting Hi-cap mags or looking at a .45 compact pistol that holds like 5 shots as a gun shop and I say "nah, I want something with more capacity" they always give me that line:"Why? You only need one shot"

Anyone who has ever been in a tactical situation or even has any clue of ballistics knows that "one shot" is not going to end the fight. Ina tactical situations you are under stress and will not be as accurate, there may be multiple targets, and they may be firing from cover (like you should be as well!) and you will not get a head shot.

People who say this that sell or deal in guns I lose almost total respect for them.

--Rant mode OFF
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 5:10:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, if you were a sniper, one shot would be enough... But that's not fun!!!
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 5:16:00 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Well, if you were a sniper, one shot would be enough

Even thats not always the case.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 6:17:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Is it wrong that I want a few 33rnd 9mm glock mags to go in my new Glock 19?
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 6:25:19 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Is it wrong that I want a few 33rnd 9mm glock mags to go in my new Glock 19?

Not at all.  In fact, I wouldn't want a 19 without them.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 6:43:58 PM EDT
[#5]
With ICBMs, one shot is certainly all that is necessary.  So they are just suggesting you buy a larger caliber.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 7:47:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Actually, if you get to the point where you are lobbing ICBM's around, you will need much more than one "shot" as well...

Quoted:
With ICBMs, one shot is certainly all that is necessary.  So they are just suggesting you buy a larger caliber.

Link Posted: 7/8/2003 8:34:11 PM EDT
[#7]
People are idiots.  The other day I heard, "I don't need a gun because I can always run away."

Better run faster than 1200 fps if I'm shooting my 9mm at you.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 9:12:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Typical liberal answer.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 9:40:48 PM EDT
[#9]
wow! one shot!
next time, ask them this, "who the fuck are you, carlos hathcock?"

bet they say, "who's carlos hathcock"?

Link Posted: 7/9/2003 4:12:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Idiots like that should probably be called "Certainly Halfcocked."
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 5:25:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I seem to recall, back in the 80's, in Cook County IL, some robber (bank robber? something like that) took some 30+ 9mm slugs as well as a handful of 12ga. shotgun slugs before he stopped *RUNNING*. That's just stop running. Not die, not fall down, not stop shooting back; just running. (Yes, he was shooting back, before any of you "BUT CRIMINALS HAVE A RIGHT TOO!" DU infiltrators get your hands on it )

Anyone else remember this case?
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 1:35:40 PM EDT
[#12]
For my last six years before retirement I was my department's firearms instructor. As such I looked into every law enforcement involved shooting I heard about, and a few interesting homicides too. I would get on the WATTS line (a kind of 800 number for out going calls) and talk to the people who investigated the shooting and/or the shooter.

I talked to dozens of cops who had "seen the elephant" and the reaction from each and every one was the same. They wanted a more powerful handgun and more ammo. Not a single one ever said they would have been satisfied with a mouse gun or didn't need but one shot.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 6:09:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Shot placement is the big issue.  You're not always guaranteed in a stressful situation to be hitting bullseyes.  You also have to deal with penetration.  In colder climates, a Carhart jacket, a liner, flannel and long underwear can reduce the effectiveness of most pistol cartridges, especially if they small enough to be made concealable.  Some leather biker's jackets almost qualify as body armor.  If the attacker is on drugs or very intoxicated, they might not drop on the first shot or stay down for good.

When deadly force is necessary, there's no such thing as overkill.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 6:31:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Mabey I'm crazy, but I feel well armed with 5 shots of .38 SPL LSWCHP +P in a Taurus 85 Ultralite. If the snubby breaks leather, its in a last ditch effort to save my own life. If I'm behind cover, I'm gonna run the other way.
I'll leave the shootouts to the pro's.  
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 7:10:22 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I'll leave the shootouts to the pro's.  

Thing is, you may never know when your going to be pinned down by more than one gunman for a while. You may have "found" yourself in a shootout even though you werent looking to get involved in one.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 8:45:34 PM EDT
[#16]

"Mabey I'm crazy, but I feel well armed with 5 shots of .38 SPL LSWCHP +P in a Taurus 85 Ultralite."

Well let's see. Those +Ps that have a good reputation out of a 4" barrel have lost most of their performance coming out of your 2". You're "Ultralite" is one of the harder to control of the 2" 38s so the much touted shot placement is in question. If there's more than one assailant and you miss a shot or two, or just don't get a good hit with a follow-up 'cause that Ultralite is jumping around, things could get dicy.

Talk to some combat veterans. Things never go the way you want them to. I just about guarentee, if you have to use that thing, you aren't going to feel so well armed.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 9:42:31 PM EDT
[#17]
You mean you guys don't also carry around a box of ammunition in a ddition to your 33 rd glock magazines? I have a Glock 17, and I run through those magazines in only a few seconds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top