Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/22/2003 2:28:29 PM EDT
Planning on getting an extra-full or full choke for my FN Police Shotgun...what's the biggest size shot you fellows think I can safely put through a really constricting choke tube?  I've heard of big buckshot ripping some of the tighter chokes right out of a barrell...
Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 6:43:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I've heard all sorts of nonsense, too.  Just shoot whatever shot size warms your little heart!  A slug might ruin a barrel with an extra full choke, but I doubt it - I shot them when I was a kid in a fixed full choke barrel.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 11:23:58 PM EDT
[#2]
You can shoot any sized shot out a any choke barrel. Hell, turkey chokes are maybe tighter than extra-full.

As for chokes flying out, sure they have but they probably weren't screwed in properly.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 11:43:27 AM EDT
[#3]
But what you should avoid with most manufacturer's full or extra full chokes is steel shot.  If in doubt, contact the choke manufacturer.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 11:59:23 AM EDT
[#4]
The pattern will suck and may even miss your Q-target at 10yds or closer with incorrectly matched choke and shot size.  You will deform the shot string and possibly collapse the lead to the point that it goes zinging off on tangents to your POA.

The best pattern I got from 000 buck is from a light mod choke in a Rem 28" 1187.  The best pattern from 4x6 Turkey load came with an xtra-full rem choke.  I have not patterned my Mossie 590, but it has an IC or Cyl barrel with an 18" barrel.  I have it loaded with 3" 000.

You CAN shoot 00 buck from a full, extra full, xx-full but your pattern will suck, period.  It might be OK at about 2 feet.

Quite honestly everything we may tell you is just a guide, the best match will only be known by patterning YOUR gun with YOUR selected choke and YOUR selected load.

Nothing else will tell you much, seriously.  Patterning a SG is an eye opener.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top