Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/19/2003 8:24:12 PM EDT
Hey guys, I was shooting my beloved East German C&R Makarov today when it doubled on me.  Again.  This also happened once the last time I shot it, and I dismissed the problem as me riding the trigger wrong or something.  I just finished cleaning the gun and the firing pin is still in one piece, everything looks good, but I haven't taken the fire control parts apart yet because I don't know how to do this.  The gun is unmodified except for a Wolff extra-heavy recoil spring wrapped around the barrel.  It doesn't have that many rounds through it at all and its in fabulous condition, why would it be doubling on me?  
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 5:03:48 AM EDT
[#1]
The extra-heavy spring may be slamming the slide closed hard enough to jar the hammer off the sear, or it may be imparting enough energy to the firing pin to light the primer.

I'd try the original spring and see if it still happens.

Link Posted: 6/20/2003 10:33:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Ok, thanks.  That makes sense.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 11:57:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Duke,
Have you tried looking over at Makarov.com?  I have the same wolf spring set up you have, at least it sounds like it.  I think i remember it being 21lbs, as apposed to the 19lb original?  I've never experience what you are describing; maybe someone else over there has?  It sounds like what Ken is saying is plausable though.

edited to add
My mistake, original is as stated below 17lbs, adn the replacement that I used was 19lbs.  Sorry for my lack of memory, and any confusion caused by this post.  Thanks for setting it straight.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 1:35:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Is it happening going from DA to SA? Or is it doing it when fired in SA only? I've seen a number of people fire two rounds unintentionally when firing the first round from DA.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 1:43:12 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Duke,
Have you tried looking over at Makarov.com?  I have the same wolf spring set up you have, at least it sounds like it.  I think i remember it being 21lbs, as apposed to the 19lb original?  I've never experience what you are describing; maybe someone else over there has?  It sounds like what Ken is saying is plausable though.

I thought 18# was the normal spring and 19# was recommended by Makarov.com.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 2:29:42 PM EDT
[#6]
AK103K:  it happened in SA mode, about halfway through a magazine.  The gun was still relatively clean.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 2:33:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 3:01:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Mine is a 19 as well I think.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 7:58:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I know that they are easily bump fired if you know how due to the free-floating firing pin.  Maybe you're just finally figuring it out.  
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 8:02:20 PM EDT
[#10]
I wondered about that.  When it happened I was pulling the trigger back very slowly, doing an accuracy group.  I generally don't yank the trigger back when I'm trying to hit my target, which is most of the time.  I wondered if the trigger had just bounced off the sear to reset and had basically "bump-fired."  Sheeesh...
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 8:10:52 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Mine is a 19 as well I think.

Sorry about the 21lb comment, your right, I went back and checked the package and I did install the 19lb also.  I appologize for any mix up that caused, it's been a while since I installed it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top