Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2003 1:43:29 AM EDT

Soldiers of Company A, 2nd of the 505th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 82nd Airborne Division provide security while the unit searches for a large cache of weapons in the Kohi Sofi region of Afghanistan, March 27th. Their mission is to locate the weapons which could be ultimately be used against U.S. Forces deployed to Afghanistan in support of Operation Enduring Freedom. (U.S. Army photo by Sgt. 1st Class Milton H. Robinson)

Thats the real deal, so none of that "I heard at the gunshop the army bought a bunch of M1A's" rot.
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 5:21:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Cool.
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 5:23:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I wish mine had a selector!
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 6:11:10 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I wish mine had a selector!

308W., believe it or not those pictured probably do not have a selector.  Many of the M-14's converted for sniper use had the full-auto selection removed.  One of the gripes about this weapon was the inability of the average trooper to control under full-auto fire.  That's basically the same beef about any of the 7.62 rifles including the original ArmaLite AR-10.
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 6:18:33 AM EDT
[#4]
what is that little white toggle thing in the second pic above the top knuckle of his index finger?  it looks like a selector to me.
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 7:44:52 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
what is that little white toggle thing in the second pic above the top knuckle of his index finger?  it looks like a selector to me.

I don't think so. I don't know what it is, but it looks like it's almost hanging off of the rear of the receiver.
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 7:54:13 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't think so. I don't know what it is, but it looks like it's almost hanging off of the rear of the receiver.

ok, it may be something else but it is in the place where the M14's selector is located.
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 8:14:16 AM EDT
[#7]
The selector is a rectanglur piece not cicular.  That is the full auto block that you see.  I wouldn't want to try and squeeze the trigger in photo #2 with my eye that close.

De Oppresso Liber
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 8:24:09 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

You may well be right.  The info I saw indicated 'most' but not all.
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 12:33:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Thats actually the selector base.  Few M14s were issued with the actual retangular toggle lever that activates the selector.  It was considered uncontrolable in full auto fire.

Heres the selector in place:

308wood, you can make it LOOK like you have one:
www.sparrowhawkm14.com/
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 4:39:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I shot one with a selector last fall.  While full auto .308 was a lot of fun, it was tough to hold more than 2 rounds on a man sized target at 25 yards - firing from a standing position.  I'm not little at 5'11" and nearly 200 lbs.  3 round bursts was as far as I would let it go because any more than that and the rounds would have been going over the backstop and into the Chesapeake Bay.  We had to de-link all of the ammo and pull out the tracers.  Base security brought an M-60 down to the range later on and ripped off a couple belts of all tracer that we relinked.  Good show.
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 6:20:15 PM EDT
[#11]
What kind of mount are they using for the ACOG?

Its my understanding that most of the scope mounts for the M1A are iffy.

Yes? No?

Bueller?
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 5:50:35 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Yes? No?

Bueller?

Only the SA "Generation" mounts are garbage. They're probably using something like like the Smith mount. The type of design is far superior, because it uses the rear sight dovetail/stripper clip slot to hold the rear of the mount down.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 12:17:55 AM EDT
[#13]
what that actually is and what it is called is a Selector lock. Just a piece of steel to lock everything in place. The only M14's that were issued with the selector were in the squad auto role. If you look closely on that execellent picture that Lumpy posted you'll see a cut out about halfway down the ways where the op rod travels, that is the takedown slot for the actual 14. If you look at an M1A or other new made semi you'll see that the op rod comes off just like a Garand. The Selector lock did two things: prevent full auto and keeping the connector in place
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 5:32:14 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm over at Norwich MCV and am looking at mine and my room mate's m14s right now; they just have that little round nub instead of the selector, it was my understanding most 14s were issued that way...
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 8:18:01 AM EDT
[#15]
hit this link and scroll down a bit. Hawk has a dummy selector kit some of you might be interested in. www.sparrowhawkm14.com
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 12:20:06 PM EDT
[#16]
How hard is it to shoot an M1A accuatly with an ACOG mopunted on it?
That scope lookls way to high to be useful. do you get ANY cheeck weld with that thing?
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 1:30:35 PM EDT
[#17]
You can just see it in the first pic, it looks like he has a pad.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 4:10:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Its VERY high.  Ive heard rumblings that this may be addressed soon by either ARMS or Trijicon.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 4:37:15 PM EDT
[#19]
That's the same guy (with the M14) from my American Rifleman magazine, showcasing US weapons.  That guy's getting a lot of mileage.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 5:12:04 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes? No?

Bueller?

Only the SA "Generation" mounts are garbage. They're probably using something like like the Smith mount. The type of design is far superior, because it uses the rear sight dovetail/stripper clip slot to hold the rear of the mount down.

Um, the SA inc mount also fastens to the stripper clip guide...

A piece of closed cell foam from the GI sleeping mat and some Duct Tape solves the cheek weld problem just fine.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 4:39:12 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
How hard is it to shoot an M1A accuatly with an ACOG mopunted on it?
That scope lookls way to high to be useful. do you get ANY cheeck weld with that thing?

Im worried about the scope bashing his eye.
GG
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 4:57:24 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Um, the SA inc mount also fastens to the stripper clip guide...

yep, it does....

and mine is garbage.  :)

Seriously, I have a GenIII or whatever that fastens to a block that replaces the stripper clip guide. It's true garbage.

It comes loose no matter how much I torque it...does the Smith mount mount the same way? If so, yech...there's gotta be a better way And no, loc-tite isn't much of an option..taking it off to clean and lube the bolt area happens each time I fire it. I haven't seen any good close-up photos of the Smith and ARMS mounts, or how they mount to the rifle...so I'm kind of hesitant to drop the coin to pick one up sight unseen.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top