Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2003 10:28:39 AM EDT
I got a $75 gift certificate to Cabelas for X-mas.  I am thinking of combining it with another $100 for a total of $175.

I am wanting to get a scope for a 24" Stainless barrel for use is shooting 100-300 yards.

What do you think is the best deal in the
Cabelas Scope Catalog?

I want to get one with a LARGE front optic and Sunshade.  Or at least one where a sunshade can be installed.

Edited to Add: I decided to just buy a bipod and save my $$$ for a good scope.  I still need recomendations for a good place to get a scope. approx. $275
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 11:00:57 AM EDT
[#1]
IMO, all optics at Cabella's are very overpriced. Check out their prices on loopie scopes, all very high compared to most other internet retailers. I'd buy a pair of cheap socks with the gift cert, pocket the extra and then buy a scope somewhere that charges normal prices.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 11:06:38 AM EDT
[#2]
a lot of places these days insist on giving your change in the form of another gift certificate. Dunno if Cabelas does that or not.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 11:06:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 12:39:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I know that large optics is all the rage in scopes these days, but I'll NEVER buy one.  The larger scope has to be mounted too tall off the barrel, and it screws up the sight picure.  Anything bigger that 40mm or so is asking for troubles when hunting.

There's a reason why the 3-9X40 is so popular hunting.  If you want the "extra" light that the large optics CAN give you, get a good 40mm scope with a good lens coating.  A Leupold Varix-III or similar scope comes to mind.

Like my nephew once told me, "You'll never be sad that you spent "too much" on glass."  After fighting a less than optimujm scope and having a good scope next to it, you'll never go back to a cheaper scope.  Plan on spending at least $275 for a scope, and don't even bother looking for a scope until you have at least that much in your pocket to spend.

Mark in Utah
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 3:37:06 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Plan on spending at least $275 for a scope, and don't even bother looking for a scope until you have at least that much in your pocket to spend.

Mark in Utah

OK, what is a good scope at Cabelas that cost $275?

Is 3-9X40 good for target shooting 100-300 yards?
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 3:40:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Cabelas gift certificates are kinda like a debit card.  You always have a "remaining balance".

-DEERSNIPER
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 6:22:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Wow the board sure is slow tonight.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 7:56:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I've go to agree with the opinion about buying large objective scopes.  I also recommend against 30mm tube scopes unless you need one with a boat load of elevation for long range shooting.

A scope with good optics and 40mm objective will still beat a cheap scope with a 50mm objective, and

Many of the lower priced scopes with 30mm tubes have 1 inch optics inside!

The truth about scopes for hunting at dawn or dusk is finding one that produces about f5 to match the maximum size of your eye's pupil.  An example is a 40mm objective at magnification 8; any more magnification is wasting light transmission.

Target shooting is typically done in good lighting conditions that negate the meed for huge objectives because there is so much light available and your pupil is closed down too far to use the available light anyway - 40mm scopes will get the job done.

3-9X is okay for target shooting at 100 to 300 yards, depending on how tight you need to hold the reticle against the aiming point on target.  What I mean is that smaller corrections can be made with larger magnification just because you can see the aiming point "better".  It depends on the type of target shooting, but 9X won't cut it on a half minut rifle at 300 yards, and maybe not even at 100 yards.

Unfortunately for most of us, the first qulity scope costs the price of all the crappy copes that we bought first.

I looked around on Cabela's web site - I was going to recommend a Weaver Grand Slam, but I don't see ads for Weaver.  The Nikon UCC is close to $275, a Burris will also cost a little more, and a 3-9X40 Leupold VX-II is $270.  Too bad you are shopping with a gift certificate - when you want to buy a scope at a good price check out Bear Basin.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 8:39:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I decided to just buy a bipod and save my $$$ for a good scope.

I still am interested in your input for good scopes.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 8:56:45 PM EDT
[#10]
These are good scopes, in order of price (not necessarily quality):  Weaver Grand Slam, Nikon Monarch, Bushnell Elite 4200, Leupold Vari-XIII, Zeiss Conquest.  Prices range between $250 and $500.  They are all first class glass.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 9:23:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I am looking real hard at the Weaver Grand Slam.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 7:28:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Anyone ever use scopes from Swift Optics? A friend of mine who runs a gun shop has them on all of his personal rifles. He claims they are by far the best scopes you can buy.

He has me interested, but I would of course like other opinions. Thought this would fit close enough in this thread.

NMSight
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 1:44:27 AM EDT
[#13]
The Weaver Grand Slam is a great choice, but for a little more you can get their top-of-the-line Tactical scope in 4.5-14 power with 44mm objective.  Definately worth the $500 that SWFA is charging.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 5:55:42 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The Weaver Grand Slam is a great choice, but for a little more you can get their top-of-the-line Tactical scope in 4.5-14 power with 44mm objective.  Definately worth the $500 that SWFA is charging.

What is the Tactical series called?  Is it the "T" Series?

Weaver

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top