Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2003 5:33:02 PM EDT
I was looking at a Kimber Pro Tac today, and was very impressed. I was dead set on buying a full sized 1911, but this had me thinking twice.

My big concerns regarding the shorter barrel are recoil and accuracy.

The owner of the gun store said that he's shot the Pro Tac a couple of times, and didn't see any real difference in accuracy between it and other Kimber full size 1911's.

So how about you guys? Can shorter barreled 1911's be just as accurate? And how much more noticable is the recoil?

Also, has anyone had any experience with the Pro Tacs?

(p.s. sorry about the dual Kimber posts in this forum)
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 7:21:05 PM EDT
[#1]
"In Commander configuration-slightly reduced in bulk, slim-lined, dehorned and featuring high-visibility fixed sights-it still stands without rival."
 -Col. Jeff Cooper, Guns & Ammo Mag February 2003

I myself am looking into a commander 1911, do youself a favor and take a look into the STI Ranger II.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 8:11:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I would not go shorter than a Commander-sized slide/barrel - 4.25 inches.  My experience is that there is not much difference in accuracy compared with a 5" full-size.  Recoil is more noticable, especially on my Lightweight Commander, but not greatly so.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 10:33:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Somebody makes a 1911 with an Officer's frame mated to a Commander slide.  This would seem to be the perfect compromise for a CCW 1911.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 1:52:48 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Somebody makes a 1911 with an Officer's frame mated to a Commander slide.  This would seem to be the perfect compromise for a CCW 1911.

That's actually what this is. A full sized frame with a shorter slide/barrel. Man the thing just fits my hand SO well.

But I'm not the most experienced pistol shot. I'm sure someone who is more proficeint with I with a handgun would get probably the same sort of accuracy out of it.

Not sure though if I would. The main thing that concerns me is the sight radius being shorter.

Oh, and we don't have CCW here in Missouri. So basicly my only use for a handgun is recreation, and home protection. Also, I'd like to get into competition down the line, so I wonder if I should put aside how good the gun felt and just get a full size.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 3:57:33 PM EDT
[#5]

That's actually what this is. A full sized frame with a shorter slide/barrel.
 No.   An "officers" model is a shorter grip and ~4" bbl.  What you're talking about is a "Commander" (full length grip. but shorter ~4" bbl).  
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 4:25:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I just bought a Kimber compact. Series I
It shoots damn fine.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 4:39:25 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

No.   An "officers" model is a shorter grip and ~4" bbl.  What you're talking about is a "Commander" (full length grip. but shorter ~4" bbl).  

Actually, a true officers model has a short grip and a 3.5" barrel.

I seem to remember Colt mated a commander slide and 4.25" barrel to and officer's frame. The one I was looking at was called the Recon.

I have three fullsize, 1 kimber compact, and one officers model. I carry and use the fullsize daily. Once in awhile I will carry the other two. As far as shooting,the officers and compact beat the hell out of my hand when shooting +p loads through them. They are tolerable with 230 grain, but after a couple hundred rounds it is no longer fun.

Stick with the fullsize, you will love it more.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 4:45:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Sorry, my bad.

Ya, I think I will stick with a full size for my first 1911, and add a compact to the list.

Those compacts are so sweet. But since we don't have CCW here, me thinks it would be just as good to have a full size for now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top